Dr. Heena Sharma
Dairy Technology Division, ICAR-NDRI, Karnal, Ph. no.: 0184-2259438
Current Research Area
Non-bovine milk and milk products
- M.VSc (Livestock Products Technology)
- Ph.D. (Livestock Products Technology)
Major Research Accomplishments:
- Best Oral presentation on ‘Development and Quality Enhancement of Goat Milk based Probiotic Yoghurt using Ultrafiltration, Microbial Transglutaminase and Exopolysachharides’ in National Conference on ‘Emerging Trends for Development of Functional Foods organized at MAFSU, Nagpur during Feb 6-7, 2020.
- Best Oral presentation on ‘Development and Characterization of Shelf Stable Giloy-Goat Milk Beverage’ in International Conference on ‘Livestock Food Security and Food Safety- Challenges, Opportunities and Strategies’ during January 28-29, 2020.
- Best Oral presentation on ‘Technological Interventions for the Development of Value Added Fermented Goat Milk Products’ in ‘Asian Regional Conference on Goats’ organized at Amity University, Jaipur during October 22-26, 2018.
- Junior Research Fellowship by University Grants Commission (UGC-JRF) during PhD program (2014-2015)
- Senior Research Fellowship by Indian Council of Agricultural Research during PhD program (2013-2014)
- Junior Research Fellowship by Indian Council of Agricultural Research during MVSc program (2010-2012)
- Merit scholarship during 5 years of B.VSc& AH Program (2005-2010)
|Completed Research Projects|
|S.No.||Title of Project||Funding
|Role||Duration/Date of completion|
|Ongoing Research Projects|
|1||Technology of goat milk based functional beverage||ICAR-NDRI||PI||3 years (2017-2020)|
|2||Technology of spray dried camel milk powder||ICAR-NDRI||Co-PI||3 years (2017-2021)|
|3||Famers First Project||ICAR||Co-PI|
|Completed Research Projects|
|1||Preparation and characterization of micro/nano delivery systems for ‘green’ carotenoids||ICAR-NDRI||Co-PI||3 years (2016-2019)|
Training programmes conducted:
- Training Coordinator for CAFT programme on ‘Emerging Trends of Bioprocess Technology in Dairy and Food Processing’ organized by Dairy Technology Division, ICAR-National Dairy Research Institute, Karnalfrom January 15 – February 04, 2020.
- Training Co-coordinator for Summer Training in ‘Food Technology’ sponsored by SINED-TBI & BPD unit,ICAR-National Dairy Research Institute, Karnalduring June 15- July 14, 2018.
- Training Coordinator for Entrepreneurship Development Programme on ‘Milk Processing and Value Addition’ sponsored by SINED-TBI & BPD unit, ICAR-National Dairy Research Institute, Karnalduring March 5-14, 2018.
- Training Coordinator for Summer Training in ‘Food Technology’ sponsored by SINED-TBI & BPD unit, ICAR-National Dairy Research Institute, Karnalduring June 08- July 7, 2017
Training programmes attended:
- CAFT training programme on ‘Recent and Emerging Applications of Membrane Processing in Dairy Industry’ organized by Dairy Technology Division, NDRI during November 4-24, 2019.
- Workshop on ‘Opportunities and Challenges for Women in STEM’organised at Kurukshetra University at Kurukshetra during 24-25th January, 2018
- Training programme on ‘Competency Enhancement for Efficiency and Effectiveness at Work-place’ organized by ICAR-NAARM, Hyderabad at ICAR-NDRI, Karnal during May 25-30, 2017
- Training Programme on ‘Extension Management for Precision Dairy Farming’ organized by MANAGE, Hyderabad in collaboration with NDRI, Karnal during January 23-27, 2017 at NDRI, Karnal.
- CAFT Training Programme on ‘Probiotics: The Therapeutics of 21st Century’ organized by Dairy Microbiology Division, NDRI, Karnal during November 08-28, 2016.
- Training Programme for QMS (ISO 9001:2008) for Internal Audit organised at NDRI, Karnal during September 16-17, 2016
- Professional Attachment Training at Dairy Technology Division, NDRI, Karnal from 16th May, 2016 to 16th August, 2016.
|1.||Deshwal, G.K., Ameta, R., Sharma, H., Singh, A.K., Panjagari, N.R.,&Baria, B. (2020). Effect of ultrafiltration and fat content on chemical, functional, textural and sensory characteristics of goat milk-based Halloumi type cheese. LWT-Food Science and Technology, 109341.|
|2.||Sharma, H., Mendiratta, S.K., Agrawal, R.K., &Gurunathan, K. (2020). Bio-preservative effect of blends of essential oils: natural anti-oxidant and anti-microbial agents for the shelf life enhancement of emulsion based chicken sausages. Journal of Food Science and Technology, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-020-04337-1|
|3.||Das, A., Singh, A.K., Borad, S., Sharma, H.,&Sabikhi, L. (2018).Effect of buffalo milk admixing on textural quality of goat cheese. International Journal of Chemical Studies, 6 (5), 3430-3435|
|4.||Sharma, H., Mendiratta, S.K., Agrawal, R.K., Kumar, S., &Talukder S. (2018). Studies on the Potential Application of Various Blends of Essential Oils as Antioxidant and Antimicrobial Preservatives in Emulsion based Chicken Sausages. British Food Journal. 120 (7): 1398-1411.|
|5.||Soni, A., Gurunathan, K., Mendiratta, S.K., Talukder, S., Jaiswal, R.K., &Sharma, H. (2018). Effect of essential oils incorporated edible film on quality and storage stability of chicken patties at refrigeration temperature (4±1° C). Journal of Food Science and Technology, 1-9.|
|6.||· Kumar, S., Mendiratta, S.K., Agarwal, R.K., Sharma, H., &Kumar, R.R. (2017). Quality evaluation of mutton nuggets incorporated with optimized level of flaxseed flour. Nutrition and Food Science. 47 (1): 67-71. doi: 10.1108/NFS-07-2015-0081.|
|7.||Kumar, S., Mendiratta, S.K., Agarwal, R.K., Sharma, H.& Singh, B.P. (2017). Anti-oxidant and anti-microbial properties of mutton nuggets incorporated with blends of essential oils. Journal of Food Science and Technology, 55(2): 821-832.|
|8.||Sharma, H., Mendiratta, S.K., Agrawal, R.K., Kumar, S.,&Soni, A. (2017). Evaluation of anti-oxidant and anti-microbial activity of various essential oils in fresh chicken sausages. Journal of Food Science and Technology. 54(2):279-292.|
|9.||Sharma, H.,Mendiratta, S.K., Agrawal, R.K., Kandeepan, G., Kumar, S.,& Singh, T.P.(2017). Use of various essential oils as bio preservatives and their effect on quality of vacuum packaged fresh chicken sausages under frozen conditions. LWT – Food Science and Technology. 81:118-127.|
|10.||Sharma, H., Sharma, B.D., Talukder, S., &Giriprasad, R. (2015). Utilization of Gum Tragacanth as Bind Enhancing Agent on the Quality of Extended Restructured Mutton Chops. Journal of Food Science and Technology. 52(3):1626–1633.|
|11.||Sharma, H., Sharma, B.D., Mendiratta, S.K., Talukder, S., &Giriprasad, R. (2014). Efficacy of Flaxseed flour as Bind Enhancing Agent on the Quality of Extended Restructured Mutton Chops. Asian-Australasian Journal of Animal Science. 27 (2): 247-255.|
|1.||Sharma, H., Kumar, S., Singh, T.P., Arvind, Sharma, A., (2019). Role of Essential Oils In Meat and Meat Products. In: Quality Control and Waste Utilization for Agricultural and Dairy Products. Eds: Naveen Kumar, RavinderKaushik& Prince Chawla, New India Publishing Agency, New Delhi.pp: 77-92|
|2.||Rao, P.S., Sharma, H., Singh, R., Meghawal, K., & Pradhan D. (2019). Chitosan and its Application in Dairy Industry. In: Quality Control and Waste Utilization for Agricultural and Dairy Products. Eds: Naveen Kumar, RavinderKaushik& Prince Chawla, New India Publishing Agency, New Delhi. Pp. 123-136|
|3.||Singh, A.K., Borad, S., Meena, G.S., Sharma, H., & Arora, S. (2019). HighPressure Processing of Milk and Milk Products. In: Non Thermal Processing ofFoods. CRC Press. Taylor and Francis Group. pp: 69-88|
|4.||Upadhyay, N., Manoj Kumar C.T., Sharma, H., Borad, S., & Singh, A.K.(2019). Pulsed Electric Field Processing of Milk and Milk Products. In: NonThermal Processing of Foods. CRC Press. Taylor and Francis Group. pp.129-143|
|Review articles (None)|
|Editorials/ Popular articles (4)|
|1.||Kumar, D.M., Singh, A.K., Sharma, H.,&Deshwal, G.K. (2020). Promising Scope of Transglutaminase as Processing Aid in Food Industry. Food and Scientific Reports, 1(4): 53-55|
|2.||Kumar, D.M., Sharma, H.& Singh, A.K. (2019). Goat milk: Promising Alternative to Bovine Milk. Food and Beverage World, 46(3): 24-27.|
|3.||Sharma, H. (2017). Impact of High Pressure Processing on Poultry Meat and Meat Products. 12 (4): 114-118.|
|4.||Soni, A., Talukder, S., Chand, S. &Sharma, H. (2017). Use of Prebiotics/probiotics in Food System to produce safe and healthy foods. Food and Beverage World. 44(6): 31-33.|
- Attended five months International Training Programme at Department of Animal and Food Sciences, Oklahoma State University, Oklahoma, USA from April-August, 2019 funded by National Agricultural Higher Education Project (NAHEP-IDP).