Mrs F. Magdaline Eljeeva Emerald
Mrs F. Magdaline Eljeeva Emerald
Engineering Section, NDRI, Adugodi, BANGALORE – 560 030. Tel. No. 080- 25710661 (202)
Current Research Area
Processing of Indigenous dairy products Heat and mass transfer phenomena during frying Energy monitoring and targeting in dairy industry
- M.E. (Agricultural Processing)
Major Research Accomplishments
Wastewater from various dairy plant or process operations were characterized in terms of its quantity, pH, suspended solids, dissolved solids, total solids, biochemical oxygen demand and chemical oxygen demand. Also, different reactor designs and configurations were comparatively evaluated for their performance in treatment of dairy effluents. The performance characteristics and reaction kinetics of treatment in anaerobic-aerobic combination reactor were determined.
The sorption properties of chhana podo and kunda were characterized at different temperatures. The effect of temperature on sorption properties was studied. Models were fitted for describing the sorption characteristics of these two products. The effects of active packaging, with modified atmospheres and oxygen scavengers, on the shelf-life extension of kunda and chhana podo were studied. Similarly, experiments were conducted on extension of shelf-life of Dharwar peda and rossogolla using individual quick freezing technique. The baking characteristics of chhana podo were studied in a differential heating unit. The optimum time-temperature combinations for baking chhana podo were standardised.
Also, the effect of sodium citrate and caramelized sugar on energy consumption levels during kunda-making, and also its effect on the sensory quality were investigated. Currently, our group has been involved in work related to application of energy monitoring and targeting system in a commercial dairy plant. We also are involved in studying the heat and mass transfer phenomena during manufacture of gulabjamun and pantoa.
- Best paper award: Magdaline Eljeeva Emerald F., Menon Rekha Ravindra, Karunanithy C., Prasad S.A.D. and Heartwin Amaladhas P. 2004. Characterization of wastewater from select dairy processing operations: a management perspective. Journal of Dairy and Biosciences, 15 (1&2), 42 – 46.
- Kejriwal Award for the “Best article of interest to the Industry” for the paper titled “Prolonging storage life of banana fruits by sub-atmospheric pressure” published in the Indian Food Packer 1999.
- TNAU Merit Scholarship for master’s programme, 1995-96.
- National Merit Scholarship Fellow in higher sec. school certification
- Attended the 21-day Training programme on “Current trends in packaging of fish and fishery products ” organized by Central Institute of Fisheries Technology, Cochin, Kerala. (17 Nov –7th December 2005).
Patents, Technology, Methodology, Genetic Stock, etc.
- S.A.D.Prasad, Menon Rekha Ravindra, P.Heartwin Amaladhas and F.Magdaline Eljeeva Emerald. 2008. Nature and treatment of Dairy plant effluents. Chapter 45. In: Environmental Science and technology in India. Ed: Arvind Kumar and R.K.Somashekar, 381-386.
- Jayaraj Rao, K., Heartwin Amaladhas, P., Magadaline Eljeeva Emerald, F., Ghosh, B.C., Balasubramanyam, B.V. and Satish Kulkarni (2006) Moisture sorption characteristics of Chhana Podo at 35°C. Journal of Food Engineering, 76: 453-459.
- Magdaline Eljeeva Emerald F., Heartwin Amaladhas P., and Prasad S.A.D. 2005. Status of mechanization in manufacturing heat-desiccated dairy products. Agricultural Engineering Today (India), 28(3-4): 11-21.
- Magdaline Eljeeva Emerald F., Menon Rekha Ravindra, Karunanithy C., Prasad S.A.D. and Heartwin Amaladhas P. 2004. Characterization of wastewater from select dairy processing operations: a management perspective. Journal of Dairy and Biosciences, 15 (1&2): 42-46.
- Manickavasagan, A., Sampathrajan, A., Manigandan, P.R., Manivannan, S., Magdaline Eljeeva Emerald, F., Malarkodi, R. and Mangalam, S. 2005. An Experimental study on solar flat plate collector using an alternative working fluid. Pertanika Journal of Science and Technology. 13(2): 147 – 161.
- F.Magdaline Eljeeva Emerald, V.V.Sreenarayanan and R.Parvathy. 2001. Physico-chemical responses of sapota packed under modified atmosphere. The Madras Agricultural Journal, 88(4-6): 271-273.
- F.Magdaline Eljeeva Emerald and V.V.Sreenarayanan.1999. Prolonging storage life of banana fruits by sub-atmospheric pressure. Indian Food Packer, 53(3): 22-27.
- F.Magdaline Eljeeva Emerald and V.V.Sreenarayanan. 1999. Shelf-life of banana in modified atmospheric package. International Journal of Tropical Agriculture, 17(1-4): 91-96.