Dr. Vivek Sharma
Dr. Vivek Sharma
Dairy Chemistry Division, ICAR-NDRI Karnal
Current Research Area
Milk lipids and Functional foods
- M.Sc (Dairy Chemistry) from National Dairy Research Institute (Deemed University) in 1993
- Ph.D (Dairy Chemistry) from National Dairy Research Institute (Deemed University) in 1996
Major Research Accomplishments
- Junior Research Fellowship of NDRI (1991-1993)
- Senior Research Fellowship of NDRI (1993-96)
- Best poster award for the poster entitled “Stability of Aspartame in burfi” presented in the XXXV Dairy Industry Conference, 23-25th Nov, 2006 at Kolkata organised by IDA (EZ).
- Second Best poster award for the poster entitled “Development of reduced calorie cholesterol free processed mozzarella cheese” presented in the National Seminar on Prospects and challenges of manufacturing organic indigenous milk products for export market. 26-27th Nov, 2006 at Kolkata organised by DTSI and ERS of NDRI, Kalyani , West Bengal.
- Best poster award for the poster entitled ”Stability of Aspartame in Lassi and Flavoured milk during storage”. Presented in the XXXVI Dairy Industry Conference, 19-21st Feb, 2008 at BHU Varanasi organised by IDA (NZ).
- Best poster award for the poster entitled ”Multiple Sweeteners In Lassi – A Sweet Approach”. Presented in the National Seminar on “Food Value of Milk” at Mumbai from 24 – 25th Nov, 2008 organised by DTSI.
- Second best research paper award to a research paper entitled “ Color based platform test for the detection of vegetable oils/ fats in ghee” authored by Vivek Sharma, darshan Lal and rajan Sharma, published in Indian Journal of dairy Science, by Indian Dairy Association in “37th Dairy industry Conference”. Organised by Indian Dairy Association (West Zone) from February 7the to 9th, 2009.
- Awarded the Erassmus Mundus scholarship for research in food, science, technology and nutrition on 12.12.11 and was invited as a guest lecturer & visiting professor for the Master course in Food Science, Technology and Nutrition under Erassmus Mundus programme financed by the European commission body of the Union for the year 2011- 12. I contributed to a number of modules at Katholieke Hogeschool, Gent Belgium and Dublin Institute of Technology, Ireland.
- Dr P. D. Sethi Research paper annual award 2009 (Anchrom) on applications of TLC/HPTLC in pharma, herbal and miscellaneous analysis-.
- Association of Food Scientists & technologists (India) award for the paper entitled “Analysis of sucralose and its storage stability in burfi.” for the year 2009, published in J. Food Sci. & Technol. 46(2): 114-117”. Awarded in the Annual Award Ceremony held on 25th January 2011, IFTTC auditorium, CFTRI, Mysore.
- Indian Dairy Association award for the First Best paper prize was awarded to the paper entitled “A rapid method of cholesterol estimation in ghee using non – enzymatic diagnostic kit . published in Ind. Journal . Dairy Sci, 6l (5): 353- 359. Sharma. Vivek, Tushar Makwana, Sumit Arora, Amit Kumar, Darshan Lal , Raman Seth, B. K Wadhwa and G.S Sharma. In XXXVIII Dairy Industry Conference, l7-lgth Feb, 2010 at NIMHANS convention centre, Bengaluru, organised by IDA (SZ).
- Indian Dairy Association award for the Second Best paper prize was awarded to the paper entitled “Analysis of saccharin and acesulfame-k and their storage stability in kalakand.. published in Ind. Journal . Dairy Sci, 6l (5): 353- 359. Arora, S; Yanakula, S; Narendra, K; Sharma, Vl Wadhwa, B. K; Singh, A. K and Sharma, G.S. In XXXVIII Dairy Industry Conference , l7-lgth Feb, 2010 at NIMHANS convention centre, Bengaluru, organized by IDA (SZ).
- Dairy Technology Society of India award for the best poster on “ Effect of low- cholesterol ghee feeding on plasma cholesterol profile of rats” presented in International Conference on functional dairy foods, held from November 16- 19, 2011 at NDRI, Karnal
- Attended the 60 th Foundation course for Agricultural Research Service held from 03.06.97 to 30.09.97 at National Academy of Agricultural Research Management (NAARM). Rajendranagar, Hyderabad – 500 030.
- Attended the winter school on recent developments in Fermentation of milk held from 6th-29th Nov 2000 at College of Dairy Sci & Technol, Mannuthy, Kerala Agricultural University.Kerala.
- Attended a Refresher course on “Advances in Fat rich Dairy products” from Feb 5th to March 6th 2002 organized by Centre of Advanced Studies, Dairy Technology Division, NDRI Karnal.
- Attended an Awareness – cum – implementation course on ISO 17025:1999 from June 29th to 30th, 2005 Concultancy Development Centre. India Habitat Centre, New Delhi.
- Attended a HACCP training course from 19th – 21st Dec ,2005 Indian Dairy Association ( IDA House), New Delhi.
- Attended a course “Laboratory Quality management System & Internal Audit as per ISO 17025”. conducted by IIQM, Jaipur, 28th to 31st July, 2008
- Attended the “Workshop on patent awareness”. Organised by National dairy research Institute, Karnal and sponsored by Patent information centre , HSCST, Hissar, Haryana and TIFAC, DST, Govt. of India, New Delhi on October 16, 2008
- Attended one day training on the usage of online assessing of journal (CeRA), held at NDR on June, 9th, 2010.
- Attended a training on “ Data Analysis using SAS” under the NAIP program on strengthening statistical computing for NARS, held from 24th – 31st Jan, 2011.
- Attended one day training on the usage of e-LMS software “ MOODLE” on 24 – 9- 2010 in computer section of NDRI, Kanal.
- Attended an eleven days training programme at NAARM, Hydrabad from 2nd March- 12th March, 2010, on capacity building of teachers for the development of e – content under NAIP sub project on development of E- course for B. tech ( DT) degree programme.
Patents, Technology, Methodology, Genetic Stock, Variety, etc.:
- Patent for “A PROCESS FOR THE PREPARATION OF LOW CHOLESTEROL GHEE”. by Darshan Lal, Manoj Kumar, Vivek Sharma, Raman Seth and Amit Kumar. Has been granted by Govt. India, The Patent Office,New Delhi. The patent Number is : NO. 257783.
- Vivek Sharma, M J Sudharshana Reddy , Sumit Arora, Amit Kumar, Darshan Lal , Raman Seth, B. K Wadhwa and G.S Sharma (2009) A rapid method of cholesterol estimation in anhydrous milk fat using enzymatic diagnostic kit . J Food Sci Technol 46, No 3, 244- 246
- Arora S, Singh VP, Sharma V, Wadhwa BK, George V, Singh AK, Sharma GS (2009) Analysis of sucralose and its storage stability in burfi. J Food Sci Technol. 46(2): 114–117
- Amit Kumar, Vivek Sharma, Darshan Lal (2009) Thin layer chromatographic method for the detection of rice bran oil in other vegetable oils. J Food Sci Technol. 46(1): 85–86
- Sharma. Vivek, Tushar Makwana, Sumit Arora, Amit Kumar, Darshan Lal , Raman Seth, B. K Wadhwa and G.S Sharma (2008) A rapid method of cholesterol estimation in ghee using non – enzymatic diagnostic kit . Ind. Journal . Dairy Sci, 61 (5): 353-359
- Amit Kumar, Vivek Sharma, and Darshan Lal (2008) Development of a thin layer chromatography based method for the detection of Rice bran oil as an adulterant in ghee .Ind. Journal . Dairy Sci. 61, 2: 113 – 115.
- Arun Kumar, Darshan Lal, Raman Seth, Vivek Sharma (2008) Detection Of Foreign Oils And Fats Added Individually In Clarified Milkfat Using Apparent Solidification Time Test As Affected By Season And Storage . Int .J. Dairy.Tech., 62: 33 – 38
- Sharma. V; Darshan Lal and Sharma. R. (2007) Color based platform test for the detection of vegetable oils/fats in ghee. Ind. Journal . Dairy Sci. 60,1: 16 – 18.
- Arora. S,*, V.P. Singh, S. Yarrakula, H. Gawande, K. Narendra, V. Sharma, B.K. Wadhwa, S.K. Tomer And G.S. Sharma (2007) Textural And Microstructural Properties Of Burfi Made With Various Sweeteners. Journal of Texture Studies 38 (4) :684–697.
- Vijay kumar, B; Sharma,V and Bector, B.S (2006) Effect of ripening on total conjugated linoleic acid ( CLA) and its isomers in buffalo cheddar cheese. International. Journal . Dairy Tech. 59 (4): 257-260
- Bector, B.S, Sharma , V and Rai, T ( 2003 ) Effect of starter culture and temperature of clarification on the total conjugated linioleic acid of desi ghee. J .Food Sci. Technol. 40 (1): 1-2
- Amit Kumar, V. Unnikrishanan, Darshan Lal and Vivek Sharma (2010) Evaluation of the rosalic acid test for checking its suitability to detect neutralizers in milk. Ind. J. Dairy Sci , 63 (2): 111- 113
- Manoj Kumar; Vivek Sharma; Darshan lal, Amit Kumar and Raman Seth (2010) A comparison of the physico-chemical properties of low-cholesterol ghee with standard ghee from cow and buffalo creams. lnt .J. Dairy.Technol. 63 (2): 252- 255.
- Arun Kumar, Darshan Lal, Raman Seth, Vivek Sharma (2010) Detection of milk fat adulteration with admixture of foreign oils and fats using fractionation technique and the apparent solidification time test . lnt .J. Dairy. Technol. 63 (3): 457- 462.
- V George, S Arora, V Sharma, BK Wadhwa and AK Singh (2010). Stability, physico chemical and sensory properties of sweetener/sweetener blends in lassi during storage. Food Bioprocess Technology. (Published online 27th January 2010).
- Patel Akashmrut, Vivek Sharma, Darshan lal,Sumit Arora, B.K Wadhwa, Ravinder malhotra, A.K singh and Suman kapila (2011) Validation of Crystallization Time Test, Apparent Solidification Time Test and Complete Liquification Time Test for Detection of Adulteration of Ghee. Ind. J. Dairy Sci , 64 (4): 298- 304.
- Arun Kumar, Darshan Lal, Raman Seth, Vivek Sharma and Amit Kumar (2011) Detection of adulteration in milk fat using butyro- refractometer reading before and after fractionation. Ind. J. Dairy Sci , 64 (4): 290- 297.
- George, V; Arora, S; Sharma, V; Wadhwa, B. K and Singh, A.K (2011). Detection and estimation of sucrose in sweetened lassi. Dairy Foods International 1(1):17-19.
- Meena MK, Arora S, Shendurse AM, Sharma V, Wadhwa BK, Singh AK (2011) Formulation optimisation of whey lemon beverage using sweetener blend aspartame / saccharin. International Journal of Dairy Technology (Article first published online: 8 AUG 2011 | DOI: 10.1111/j.1471-0307.2011.00712.x).
- Arora S, Shendurse A.M, Sharma V, Wadhwa, B.K, Singh, A.K and Sharma, G.S (2011). Assessment of stability of binary blend (aspartame x acesulfame-K) during storage in whey lemon beverage. J. Food Sci. & Technol. (Article first published online: 5 May 2011. DOI 10.1007/s13197-011-0386-0.
- V George, S Arora, V Sharma, BK Wadhwa and AK Singh (2012). Stability, physico chemical and sensory properties of sweetener/sweetener blends in lassi during storage. Food Bioprocess Technology 5:323–330
- Vivek Sharma, Darshan Lal, Sumit Arora and B.K Wadhwa (2012) laboratory manual on “Analysis of milk lipids (Ghee) for practical class of course Milk lipids.
- Sumit Arora; Vivek Sharma; G.S Sharma, B.K Wadhwa, George (2012) laboratory manual on Analysis of artificial sweeteners. for practical class of course Milk products.
- Vivek Sharma, Darshan Lal, and Amit Kumar (2011) Approaches to develop low- cholesterol milk products. In a book on Functional Dairy Foods Concepts and applications. Edt. Tomar et al. Publisher: Satish Serial Publishing House, Delhi.
- Sumit Arora, Rajesh Bajaj, Vivek Sharma, B.K Wadhwa and G.S Sharma (2011) Milk and Dairy Based Management. In a book on Food Processing Waste management Treatment and utilization technology. Edt. Joshi & Sharma. Publisher: New India Publishing Agency, Delhi.
- Karuna meghwal, Vivek Sharma, Darshan lal, Sumit Arora and Manvesh Sihag (2011) Effect of cholesterol removal on storage stability of cow ghee. Ind. J. Dairy Sci , 64 (5): 396-399
- Karuna meghwal, Vivek Sharma, Darshan lal, Sumit Arora and Manvesh Sihag (2013) Effect of cholesterol removal on granualation behavior of low- cholesterol ghee. Int. J Dairy technol, 65 (1) : 98- 102
- V George, S Arora, V Sharma, BK Wadhwa and AK Singh (2012). Stability, physico chemical and sensory properties of sweetener/sweetener blends in lassi during storage. Food Bioprocess Technology. 5:323–330
- Meena MK, Arora S, Shendurse AM, Sharma V, Wadhwa BK, Singh AK (2012) Formulation optimisation of whey lemon beverage using sweetener blend aspartame / saccharin. International Journal of Dairy Technology 65(1): 146–151
- Ankit Goyal*, Vivek Sharma, Neelam Upadhyay, Manvesh Sihag, Ravinder Kaushik (2013) High Pressure Processing and Its Impact on Milk Proteins: A Review. Research and Reviews: Journal of Dairy Science and Technology, 2 (1) :1 – 9.
- Anupmarani, Vivek Sharma, Sumit Arora, Darshan lal and Anil Kumar ( 2013) A rapid reversed- phase thin layer chromatographic protocol for detection of adulteration in ghee with vegetable oils. Journal of Food Sci. Technol. ( DOI 10.1007/s13197-013-1208-3).
- Anil Kumar, Neelam Upadhya, Kamal Gandhi, Amit Kumal, Darshan Lala and Vivek Sharma ( 2013) Reverse-Phase Thin Layer Ghromatography of Unsaponifiable Matter of Ghee for Detecting Adulteration with Soybean Oil and Buffalo Depot Fat. Indian J. Dairy Sci. 66(6):496- 501.
- Sneha Shende, Shriyash Patel, Sumit Arora & Vivek Sharma (2014) Oxidative Stability of Ghee Incorporated with Clove Extracts and BHA at Elevated Temperatures. International Journal of Food Properties, 17:1599–1611,
- Arun Kumar., Darshan Lal, Amit Kumar, Raman Seth and Vivek Sharma (2013) Influence of Seasonal Variation on Fatty Acid Composition and Physico-Chemical characteristics of Milk Fat. Indian J. Dairy Sci. 66(6):502- 506.
- Ankit Goyal & Vivek Sharma & Neelam Upadhyay & Sandeep Gill & Manvesh Sihag ( 2014) Flax and flaxseed oil: an ancient medicine & modern functional food. J Food Sci Technol. (DOI 10.1007/s13197-013-1247-9)
- Anupama Rani, Vivek Sharma, Sumit Arora, Darshan Lal and Anil Kumar. (2015). A rapid reversed-phase thin layer chromatographic protocol for detection of adulteration in ghee (clarified milk fat) with vegetable oils. Journal of Food Science and Technology. 52(4):2434-2439
- Ankit Goyal, Vivek Sharma, Neelam Upadhyay, A. K. Singh, Sumit Arora, Darshan Lal and Latha Sabikhi (2015) Development of stable flaxseed oil emulsions as a potential delivery system of ?-3 fatty acids. J Food Sci Technol 52(7):4256-4265
- Anuradha Kumari, Sonika Choudhary, Sumit Arora , Vivek Sharma( 2016) Stability of aspartame and neotame in pasteurized and in-bottle sterilized flavoured milk. Food Chemistry 19, 533–538
- B.G. Shilpashree , Sumit Arora , Vivek Sharma , Rajesh Kumar Bajaj , S.K. Tomar (2016) Preparation of iron bound succinylated milk protein concentrate and evaluation of its stability. Food Chemistry 196, 800–807.
- Manvesh Kumar Sihag, Vivek Sharma, Sumit Arora, A K Singh, Ankit Goyal and Darshan Lal ( 2015) Effect of storage conditions on sensory and microbial characteristics of developed pearl millet based weaning food. Indian Journal of Dairy Science, 68, 5: 463-466.
- Manvesh Kumar Sihag, Vivek Sharma, Ankit Goyal, Sumit Arora and Ashish Kumar Singh ( 2015) Effect of domestic processing treatments on iron, ß-carotene, phytic acid and polyphenols of pearl millet. Cogent Food & Agriculture, 1: 1-12
- KARUNA MEGHWAL, VIVEK SHARMA, DARSHAN LAL, SUMIT ARORA and SUMAN KAPILA (2015) Healthy aspect of low-cholesterol ghee on modulation of lipid profile of rats. 68,4: 550- 556.
- Manvesh Kumar Sihag, Vivek Sharma, Ankit Goyal, Sumit Arora and Rajeev Kapila ( 2016) In vivo assessment of iron bioavailability from fortified pearlmillet based weaning food. J Sci Food Agric 2016 (DOI 10.1002/jsfa.7651)
- Aupama Rani, Vivek Sahrma and Sumit Arora ( 2015) Organogels: Future fat for dairy and food industry. Indian Food Industry, Vol 34 (4): 43- 49