Dr Suraji Mandal
Dr Suraji Mandal
Scientist (Senior Scale)
Dairy Microbiology Division, NDRI, Karnal - 132001 Telephone No.: 0184-2259183; 9991423316
Current Research Area
Starter cultures, probiotics, probiotic-functional food and dairy products
- M.Sc. (Dairy Microbiology);
- Ph. D. (Dairy Microbiology)
Major Research Accomplishments
• Diversification of probiotic foods i.e., beyond the traditional fermented dairy products i.e., towards the non-fermented and heat-treated food product categories, i.e., development of symbiotic milk chocolate using microencapsulated probiotics. Biodynamic milk chocolate with encapsulated probiotics is a new addition to the growing list of functional foods.
• Development of “synbiotic kulfi” by incorporating probiotic lactobacilli.
• Development of “functional Quarg cheese” by fortifying with dietary fiber and probiotics.
- Best Feature Article – Indian Food Industry: 2006, Association of Food Scientist and Technologists (India), CFRTI Campus, MYSORE – 570020. (2007).
- Qualified the National Eligibility Test (NET) of Indian Council of Agricultural Research (2003 and 2006)
- Recipient of NDRI Junior Research Fellowship (M. Sc.) (2000-2002) and Senior Research Fellowship (Ph. D.) (2002-2006)
- Recipient of National Scholarship during B. Tech. (D.T.) (1995-1999)
- University Merit Scholarship during B. Tech. at West Bengal University of Animal & Fishery Sciences, Kolkata, West Bengal.
- Best Poster Award – “Hati, S., Vij, S., Mandal, S., Yadav, D., Singh, B.P. and Vandana 2012. Enhancement of antioxidant activity, beta-glycosidase activity and bio-transformation of isoflavone in fermented soy supplement with WPC-70 by probiotic lactobacilli. In: National Symposium on Emerging Trends in Biotechnology organized by Department of Biotechnology, Multani Mal Modi College in association with Association of Biology Teachers – ABT (Regd.) (ISSN: 0972-8023) on February 24, 2012.
- Second Best Poster Award – “Hati, S., Vij, S., Mandal, S., Yadav, D., Singh, B.P., Vandana and Meenakshi. 2012. Antimicrobial and antioxidative ….. Dahi culture” during XL Dairy Industry Conference held at New Delhi during 2-5 February, 2012.
- Second Best Paper Award – “Hati, S., Gandhi, D.N., Vij, S., Mandal, S. And Dahiya, M. 2011. Process optimization for a drinkable acidophilus milk” paper published in the “Dairy Processing Area” in the Indian Journal of Dairy Science for the calendar year 2011. By Indian Dairy Association, IDA House, Sector-IV, R.K. Puram, New Delhi – 110022.
- Second Best Poster Award – “Archana, M., Mandal, S., Tomar, S.K. and Singh, R. 2011. Characterization of Lactic Acid Bacteria in Mixed Strain Mesophilic LD-type Dahi Cultures” in National Seminar on Recent Advances in the Development of Fermented Foods, Centre of Food Science and Technology, Institute of Agricultural Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi (April 8-9, 2011).
- FOCARS training ,NAARM, Rajendra Nagar, Hyderabad
- Instrumental analysis of diary foods for quality ,Dairy Chemistry Division, NDRI, Karnal
- Technological advances in utilization of Dairy By-products,Centre of Advanced Studies, Dairy Technology Division, NDRI, Karnal
- Computer training Programme on “Use of MATLAB software package for high performance numerical computation and visualization” ,Computer centre, NDRI, Karnal
- Content Management for e-Learning System using MOODLE at computer centre, NDRI, Karnal
- Developing Winning Research Proposals in Agriculture Research under Winning Research Proposals Writing, National Agricultural Innovation Project (Learning and Capacity Building Programme)at National Academy of Agricultural Research Management, Rajendranagar, Hyderabad – 500407
- Data Analysis Using SAS under Strengthening statistical Computing for NARS, National Agricultural Innovation Project at Dairy Economics Statistics and Management Division, N.D.R.I., Karnal-132001
- Advances in Processing and Quality Assurance of Dairy Foods under Advanced Course in Faculty Training at Dairy Microbiology Division, N.D.R.I., Karnal
- Advanced Molecular Techniques in Gene Regulation and Functional Genomics under Winter School sponsored by Education Division, ICAR, New Delhi at Animal Biochemistry Division, N.D.R.I., Karnal
- Training programme for implementation of MIS/FMS under NAIP training by IASRI, New Delhi at N.D.R.I., Karnal.
Patents, Technology, Methodology, Genetic Stock, Variety, etc.:
- Cost effective food grade medium for Lactobacillus spp.: formulation of cost effective food grade medium for Lactobacillus spp. for culturing and biomass production
- Direct Product Probiotic (DPP) formulation of Lactobacillus Culture: development of bioprocess for production of Lactobacillus sp. biomass, harvesting and preservation in dried form
- Misti Doi with fast acidifying high sugar tolerating lactic culture(s: technology for production of improved quality Misti Doi using fast acidifying high sugar tolerating lactic culture(s)
- Mandal, S., Puniya, A. K. and Singh, K. (2006). Effect of alginate concentrations on survival of microencapsulated Lactobacillus casei NCDC 298. International Dairy Journal, 16: 1190-1195.
- Mandal, S., Hati, S., Puniya, A.K. and Singh, K. (2010). Evaluation of cell surface hydrophobicity, antimicrobial activity and probiotic utilization of Lactobacillus spp. Indian J. Dairy Sci., 63(3): 178-181.
- Hati, S., Gandhi, D.N., Vij, S., Mandal, S. And Dahiya, M. 2011. Process optimization for a drinkable acidophilus milk. Indian J. Dairy Sci., 63(5): 350-357.
- Mandal, S., Hati, S., Basu, S., Puniya, A.K., Singh, R. and Singh, K. (2011). Effect of ?-Carrageenan Concentrations on Survival of Microencapsulated Lactobacillus casei NCDC 298. Indian J. Dairy Sci., 63(6): 470-473.
- Basu, S., Tomar, S.K., Mandal, S., Hati, S., Ali, B., Singh, A.K., Arora, S. and Mohanty, A.K. 2011. A study on antimicrobial activity and antibiotic susceptibility of phytate and starch degrading lactic acid bacteria isolated from indigenous cereal based fermented milk product “Raabadi”. Indian J. Dairy Sci., 64(1): 27-32.
- Mandal, S., Puniya, A.K. and Singh, K. 2011. Evaluation of probiotic properties of Lactobacillus casei. Beverage and Food World, 38(8): 57-59.
- Mandal, S., Hati, S., Puniya, A.K., Singh, R. and Singh, K. 2012. Development of Synbiotic Milk Chocolate using Encapsulated Lactobacillus casei NCDC 298. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation, 37:1031-1037. (doi:10.111/j1745-4459.2012.00759.x.)
- Hati, S., Vij, S., Mandal, S., Malik, R.K., Kumari, V., and Khetra, Y. 2013. a-galactosidase activity and oligosaccharides utilization by lactobacilli during fermentation of soy milk. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation, doi:10.1111/jfpp.12063.
- Hati, S, Vij, S., Brij, S., Kumari, V. and Mandal, S. 2013. Antioxidative activity and polyphenol content in fermented soy milk supplemented with WPC-70 by probiotic Lactobacilli. Int. Food Res. J., 20(5): 2125-2131.
- Mandal, S., Hati, S., Puniya, A.K., Khamrui, K. and Singh, K. 2014. Enhancement of survival of alginate encapsulated Lactobacillus casei NCDC 298. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 94(10): 1994-2001 (DOI: 10.1002/jsfa.6514.)
- Hati, S, Vij, S., Brij, S., and Mandal, S. 2013. ß-Glucosidase activity and bioconversion of isoflavones during fermentation of soymilk. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, DOI 10.1002/jsfa.6743.
- Sangwan, V., Tomar, S.K., Ali, B., Singh, R.R.B., Singh, A.K. and Mandal, S. 2014. Galactooligosaccharides purification using microbial fermentation and assessment of its prebiotic potential by in vitro method. International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences, 3(4): 573-585