Dr. Sudarshan Kumar
Dr. Sudarshan Kumar
Animal Biotechnology Center, ICAR-NDRI Karnal Contact no.: 0184 2259543
Email: Email:email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Current Research Area
Our group is engaged in the study of Mammary Gland Proteomics to identify the putative biomarkers for lactational problems. The economically important genes are cloned and expressed in different prokaryotic and eukaryotic system and are subjected to Cell culture based functional characterization for their in-vitro application. Additionally, we are also involved in crystallization of native and recombinant proteins of therapeutic and prophylactic importance.
|Name of the degree||University||Passing Year|
|B.V.Sc. & A.H. with Hons||GBPUA&T Pantnagar, Uttrakhand, India||2003|
|M.V.Sc. (Animal Biotechnology)||National Dairy Research Institute Karnal, Haryana India||2005|
|Ph.D. (Animal Biotechnology)||Indian Veterinary Research Institute Izatnagar, UP India||2008|
Proteomics-based approach to understand lactation, pregnancy, and related disorders in bovine. Mass spectrometry-based proteome discovery and the development of biomarker-based diagnostics are at the fore of our research program. I am specialized in molecular cloning, protein expression, and purification in a wide range of hosts like bacteria, yeast, and mammalian cell lines, which are subjected to Cell culture-based functional characterization. Strength: High throughput Mass spectrometry-based proteomics and mammalian cell culture-based assays.
|S. No.||Course code||Course nomenclature||Remarks||Level|
|1||BT-711||Gene Cloning and Expression (3+0)||Continued||PhD|
|2||BT-622||Molecular Diagnostics (1+2)||Continued||Masters|
|3||BT-624||Techniques in Molecular Biology and genetic engineering (0+3)||Continued||Masters|
|4||BT-611||Fundamentals of cell and molecular Biology (3+0)||Completed||Masters|
|5||FS-712||Biotechnological intervention in Food quality and safety assurance (3+0)||Completed||PhD|
|6||GS-635||Disaster Management (1+0)||Continued||B. Tech., Masters, PhD|
- Singh S, Choudhary S, Anand V, Jaswal S, Verma AK, Kumar S, Kaushik JK, Mohanty AK. 2019. New insights into the catalytic inactivity of mammary gland protein-40, a chitinase-like protein expressed during mammary gland involution. Biol. Rep.doi: 10.1007/s11033-019-04679-w.
- Hussain S, Saxena S, Shrivastava S, Mohanty AK, Kumar S, Singh RJ et al. 2018 Gene expression profiling of spontaneously occurring canine mammary tumours: Insight into gene networks and pathways linked to cancer pathogenesis. PLoS ONE 13(12): e0208656
- Manoj Kumar Jena, Shalini Jaswal, Sudarshan Kumar and Ashok Kumar Mohanty, Molecular Mechanism of Mammary Gland Involution: An Update, Biology, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ydbio.2018.11.002
- Singh SK, Kumar S, Mohanty AK, Grover S, and Kaushik JK. 2018. Mechanistic insights into the host-microbe interaction and pathogen exclusion mediated by the Mucus-binding protein of Lactobacillus plantarum. Scientific Reports 8: 14198. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-32417-y.pdf.
- Ali SA, Malakar D, Kaushik JK, Mohanty AK, Kumar S. 2018. Recombinant purified buffalo leukemia inhibitory factor plays an inhibitory role in cell growth. PLoS ONE 13(6): e0198523. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0198523
- Lotfan M, Azmal Ali S, Yadav ML, Choudhary S, Jena MK, Kumar S, Mohanty AK. 2018. Genome-wide gene expression analysis of 45 days pregnant fetal cotyledons vis-a-vis non-pregnant caruncles in buffalo (Bubalus bubalis). Gene. DOI10.1016/j.gene.2018.02.038.
- Bisht S, Singh SK, Choudhary R, Kumar S, Mohanty AK, Pande V, Kaushik JK. 2018. Expression of Fibronectin-binding protein of L. acidophilus NCFM and in vitro refolding to adhesion capable native-like protein from inclusion bodies. Protein Exp. and Purif. 145: 7–13 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pep.2017.11.007
- Shashikumar NG, Baithalu RK, Bathla S, Ali SA, Rawat P, Kumaresan A, Kumar S, Maharana BR, Singh G, Puneeth Kumar DS, Singh SK, Lathwal SS, Jaiswal L, Mohanty TK, Mohanty AK. Global proteomic analysis of water buffalo (Bubalus bubalis) saliva at different stages of estrous cycle using high throughput mass spectrometry. Theriogenology 110. 52e60, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.theriogenology.2017.12.046
- Azmal Ali S, Kumar S, Mohanty AK, Behare P. 2018. Draft genome sequence of Lactobacillus fermentum NCDC 400, isolated from a traditional Indian dairy product. Genome Announc 6:e01492-17. https://doi .org/10.1128/genomeA.01492-17
- Azmal Ali S, Kaur G, Malakar D, Kaushik JK, Mohanty AK, Kumar S. 2017. Examination of pathways involved in leukemia inhibitory factor (LIF)-induced cell growth arrest using label-free proteomics approach. Proteomics, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jprot.2017.07.014
- Singh SK, Choudhary R, Bisht S, Grover S, Kumar S, Mohanty AK, Kaushik JK. 2017. Expression of recombinant truncated domains of mucus-binding (Mub) protein of Lactobacillus plantarum in soluble and biologically active form. Protein Exp. Purif. 135: 54–60.
- Kaur G, Ali SA, Pachauri S, Malakar D, Kaushik JK, Mohanty AK, Kumar S. 2017. Buffalo Leukemia Inhibitory Factor Induces Differentiation and Dome-Like Secondary Structures in COS-1 Cells. Genome Res. doi: 10.1159/000465507.
- Pragya P, Kaur G, Azmal Ali S, Bhatla S, Rawat P, Lule V, Kumar S, Mohanty AK, Behare P. 2016. High-resolution mass spectrometry-based global proteomic analysis of probiotic strains Lactobacillus fermentum NCDC 400 and RS2. Proteomics 152: 121–130.
- Choudhary R, Goud TS, Kumar A, Sharma AK, Singh SV, Upadhyay RC, Mohanty AK, Kumar 2016. Heat stress induced adaptation in melanocytes is dependent on the level of melanin and reduction of apoptosis. J. Dermatol. Science. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jdermsci.2016.12.012.
- Rawat P, Bathla S, Baithalu R, Yadav ML, Kumar S, Azmal Ali S, Tiwari A, Lotfan M, Naru J, Jena M, Behere P, Balhara A.K, Vashishth R, Singh I, Dang AK, Kaushik J.K. Mohnaty T.K, and Mohanty AK. 2016. Identification of poteintial protein biomarkers for early detection of pregnancy in cow urine using 2D DiGE and Label free quantitation. Proteomics DOI 10.1186/s12014-016-9116-y.
- Saugandhika S, Sharma V, Malik H, Mohapatra SK, Bondre VP, Kumar S, Mohanty, AK Dhruba, Malakar D. 2016. Molecular characterization of IFN-T expressed in buffalo embryonic trophoblasts and expression of recombinant BuIFN-T1a2 and BuIFN-T8 isoforms in E. coli. Protein Exp. Purif. 122: P 8-14.
- Choudhary R, Kumar S, Singh SV, Sharma AK, Goud TS, Srivastava AK, Kumar A, Mohanty AK, Upadhyay 2016. Validation of putative reference genes for gene expression studies in heat stressed and α-MSH treated melanocyte cells of Bos indicus using real-time quantitative PCR. Mol. Cell. Probes. doi:10.1016/j.mcp.2016.03.002
- Panicker AS, Behare PV, Munjal K, Kumar S, Naru J, Singh S, Rawat P, Bathla S, Bhushan B, Jamwal M, Mohanty A.K. 2015. Differential Proteome Study of Putative Probiotic Lactobacillus Fermentum Bif-19 Strain in Response to Bile Stress. Proteins and Proteomics. 6(2): 197-210
- Lule VP, Munjal K, Azmal Ali S, Rawat P, Kumar S, Behare P and Mohanty AK. 2015. Evaluation of stationary phase and bile stress related protein spots in Lactobacillus fermentum NCDC 400 by 2-DE method. Indian J Dairy Sci 69(4):455-459
- Anand V, Jaswal S, Singh S, Kumar S, Jena MK, Verma AK, Yadav ML, Janjanam J, Lotfan M, Malakar D, Dang AK, Mohanty TK, Kaushik JK, Mohanty AK. 2016.. Functional characterization of Mammary Gland Protein-40, a chitinase-like glycoprotein expressed during mammary gland apoptosis 21(2): 209-24. doi: 10.1007/s10495-015-1196-z.
- Bathla S, Rawat P, Baithalu R, Yadav ML, Naru J, Tiwari A, Kumar S, Balhara AK, Singh S, Chaudhary S, Kumar R, Lotfan M, Behare P, Phulia SK, Mohanty TK, Kaushik JK, Nallapeta S, Singh I, Ambatipudi SK, Mohanty AK. 2015. Profiling of urinary proteins in Karan Fries cows reveals more than 1550 proteins. Proteomics, 127: 193–201
- Saugandhika, S, Sharma V, Malik H, Saini S, Bag S, Kumar S, Singh NK, Mohanty AK and Malakar D. 2015. Expression and Purification of buffalo interferon-tau and efficacy of recombinant buffalo interferon-tau for in vitro embryo development. Cytokine 75 (1), 186–196.
- Jena, MK, Janjanam, J, Naru, J, Kumar, S, Kumar, S, Singh, S, Mohapatra, SK, Kola S, Anand V, Jaswal S, Verma AK, Malakar D, Dang AK, Kaushik JK, Reddy VS and Mohanty, AK . 2015. DIGE based Proteome Analysis of Mammary Gland Tissue in Water Buffalo (Bubalus bubalis): Lactating vis–a-vis Heifer. Proteomics, doi: 10.1016/j.jprot.2015.01.018.