Dr. Satish Kumar
Dr. Satish Kumar
Animal Biotechnology Division ICAR-NDRI Karnal
Current Research Area
Molecular Genetics, Stem cell biology and genome editing in livestock species
|Name of the degree||University/Institution||Passing Year|
|B.Sc. (Ag & A.H.)||GBPUA&T Pantnagar, Nainital, UP, India||1995|
|M.Sc. (Animal Biotechnology)||National Dairy Research Institute Karnal, Haryana India||1997|
|Ph.D. (Animal Biotechnology)||National Dairy Research Institute Karnal, Haryana India||2012|
|Post-Doctoral Training (Molecular Genetics)||Roslin Institute & Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies, The University of Edinburgh, Scotland, UK||2013|
My research interest is to elucidate the functional role of bone morphogenetic protein receptor (BMPR-1B) in sheep granulosa cells to understand the mechanism of higher ovulation rate in prolific sheep. Further, I am interested to edit β-lactoblobulin protein, and other milk associated genes in buffalo and goat through CRISPR-Cas9 mediated genome editing technologies.
|S. No.||Course code||Course nomenclature||Level|
|1||BT-713||Advance in Reproductive Biotechnology (3+0)||PhD|
|2||BT-622||Molecular Diagnostics (1+2)||Masters|
|3||BT-722||Advances in Animal Cell Culture (3+0)||PhD|
|4||BT-614||Reproductive Biotechnology (2+1)||Masters|
|5||BT-623||Animal Genomics (2+1)||Masters|
- Vijay Kumar, Praveen Kumar, Satish Kumar, and Prakash BS. 2018. Seasonal alterations in plasma cortisol in peripartum Murrah buffaloes (Bubalus bubalis) as assayed by a sensitive enzymeimmunoassay in subtropical climate. Biological Rhythm Research. DOI: 10.1080/09291016.2018.1526497.
- Kumar A, Sawal RK, Narula HK, Kumar S, Kumar R. 2018. Subjective and objective /machine evaluation of wool luster in Magra sheep vis a vis wool grading and animal selection. Journal of Natural Fibres. Doi.org./10.1080/15440478.2018.1431996.
- Rajiv Kumar, Gadekar YP, Shinde AK, Naqvi SMK, and Kumar S. PCR based test for identification of ovine, caprine and bovine origin of meat sample. Indian Journal of Small Ruminants. 24 (1): 121-123.
- Meena AS, Bhatt RS, Sahoo A, and Kumar S. 2017. Polymorphism of the exon 3 of leptin gene in Malpura sheep. Indian Journal of Animal Research. 51(3): 469-473.
- Kumar R, Kumar S, Swarnkar CP, and Singh D. 2016. Allelic variant analysis of MHC DRB-1 coding region in Garole: The prolific sheep of India. Indian Journal of Biotechnology 15:507-510.
- Paswan C, Prince LLL, Kumar R, Swarnker CP, Singh D, and Kumar S. 2016. Molecular characterization of Ovar-DRB-1 exon 2 gene in Garole sheep resilient to gastrointestinal nematode. Indian Journal of Animal Research. 50 (2): 143-147.
- Jyotsana B, Kumar R, Kumari R, Meena AS, Prince LLL, Prakash V, Kumar S. 2016. Genetic variants of β-lactoglobulin in Garole, Malpura, Patanwari, and their crossbred sheep. Indian Journal of Small Ruminants. 22(2): 174-177.
- Kumar R, Gupta S, Meena AS, Naqvi SMK, and Kumar S. 2016. Polymorphism in exon 17 of diacylglycerol acyltransferase-1 (DGAT-1) gene in Indian sheep breeds. Indian Journal of Small Ruminants. 22(2): 170-173.
- Meena AS, Kumar R, Rajni K, Jyotsana B, Prince LLL, Kumar S. 2016. Aromatase gene polymorphism in sheep breeds of India. Indian Journal of Small Ruminants. 22(2): 227-229.
- Kumar R, Shakawar DB, Pareek PK, Raja ASM P, Prince LLL, Kumar S, Naqvi SMK. 2015. Development of PCR-Based techniques for detection of purity of Pashmina fiber from textile materials. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology 175 (8): 3856-3862.
- Kumar R, Meena AS, Kumari R, Jyotsana B, Prince LLL, and Kumar S. Polymorphism of KRT1.2 and KAP1.3 genes in Indian sheep breeds. Indian Journal of Small Ruminant. 22(1):28-31.
- Meena AS, Bhatt RS, Sahoo A, and Kumar S. 2016. Genetic polymorphism of the diacylglycerol acyl transferase1 (DGAT1) gene in Malpura. Indian Journal of Small Ruminant. 22(1):97-99.
- Share MG, Sawaimul AD, Ali SZ, Sirothia AR, and Kumar S. 2015. RFLP analysis of mitochondrial D-loop region in Indian sheep breeds. Indian Journal of Small Ruminants. 21(1): 13-16.
Technologies Developed/ Patents Granted (if any):
- Developed PCR based method for identification of cashmere (Pashmina) fibre from processed textile products (ICAR patent granted. No. 3400/DEL/2015)
- For the first time, Booroola fecundity (FecB) gene was discovered in Kendrapada sheep of India
- Developed prolific sheep strains for higher litter size and growth rate
- Developed resistant and susceptible Malpura and Avikalin sheep lines against Haemonchus contortus parasite
- Developed DNA test for identification of benzimidazole resistance in Haemonchus contortus of sheep
- Developed buffalo transgenic fetal fibroblast cells and embryonic stem cells (ES) cells for NANOG, LIF and FGF2 genes.