Dr Rekha R Menon
Dr Rekha R Menon
Engg. Section, NDRI, Adugodi, BANGALORE – 560 030 Telephone No. 080- 25710663 Extn. 200
Current Research Area
Processing of indigenous dairy products
- M.Tech. (Post Harvest Engineering)
- Ph.D. (Agricultural & Food Engineering)
Major Research Accomplishments
Intervention in terms of convenience product development and energy conservation for traditional dairy products like Palada payasam and Kunda were successfully undertaken. A process for manufacture of Kunda using a mechanical khoa making unit was standardized. Effect of carbonation in extending the shelf life of dairy beverages like flavoured milk and lassi was established.
Effluents from different dairy processing operations were characterized in terms of its physico – chemical parameters. Also different reactor designs and configurations were comparatively evaluated for their performance in treatment of dairy effluents.
The positive influence of cryogenically cooled rapid control atmosphere storage on green mature mango fruits in terms of quality parameters was established. The effect of respiration kinetics on the temperature and gas flow within the storage chamber was also evaluated using the principles of computational fluid dynamics.
In recent times, our group has been involved in work related to application of energy monitoring and targeting system in a commercial dairy plant. We are also involved in studying the heat and mass transfer phenomena during manufacture of Gulab Jamoon and Pantoa.
- KAU Merit Scholarship during B. Tech Programme (1990 -1994)
- GATE scholarship during M. Tech Programme at IIT Kharagpur (1995-1997)
- Anurag Kanti Award (1997) for M. Tech thesis awarded by AFST(I) Kharagpur chapter
- Co – authored Poster paper presented at XXXI Dairy Industry conference Mumbai India – adjudged first
- Co – authored Poster paper presented at 15th ICFOST Mysore India awarded second prize in the area of Dairy products
- Co – authored paper on “Characterization of wastewater from select dairy processing operations: a management perspective” which was awarded the best paper award by Alumni Association
- Attended the 21-day Training programme on “Recent Advances in Value added Indigenous Dairy Products” conducted by Dairy Science College, University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore. (9 -29th July 2003).
Patents, Technology, Methodology, Genetic Stock, Variety, etc.:
- Goswami T K, Thakur B D, Ravindra M R (1997) Determination of thermal conductivity and viscosity of ice cream at different temperatures. Indian J Cryogen, 22(2), 43-47
- Ravindra M. R. Chattopadhyay P. K. (2000) Optimisation of osmotic preconcentration and fluidised bed drying to produce dehydrated quick-cooking potato cubes. J. Food Engineering. 44 (1) p 05-11.
- Goswami TK, Ravindra MR, Nayak TK. 2001. Time-temperature relationships. for IQF shrimp with liquid nitrogen and its quality assessment. J Food Process Engineering. 24 (2). p71-85
- Magdaline Eljeeva Emerald F., Menon Rekha Ravindra, Karunanithy C., Prasad S.A.D. and Heartwin Amaladhas P. 2004. Characterization of wastewater from select dairy processing operations: a management perspective. Journal of Dairy and Biosciences, 15 (1&2): 42-46.
- M. R. Ravindra and Goswami T. K. (2007) Post harvest handling and storage of mangoes – an overview. Journal of Food Science and Technology. Vol 44(5) p 449 –458
- Prasad S. A. D., Ravindra M. R., Magdaline Eljeeva Emerald F. and Heartwin Amaladhas P. (2008). Nature and treatment of dairy plant effluents. Chapter 45. In: Environmental Science and Technology in India. Ed. Aravind Kumar, R. K. Somashekar. P 381- 386
- Menon Rekha Ravindra and T. K. Goswami (2008) Comparative performance of precooling methods for the storage of mango. Journal of Food Process Engineering, Vol 31 (3) pp. 354-371
- M. R. Ravindra and Goswami T. K. (2008) Modelling of respiration rate of green mature mango under aerobic conditions. Biosystems Engineering. Vol 99(2) pp. 239-248
- Bhande S D, M. R. Ravindra and Goswami T. K. (2008) Respiration rate of banana fruit under aerobic conditions. Journal of Food Engineering. Vol. 87 (1). p 116-123.
- Dash K K , M. R. Ravindra and Goswami T. K. (2009) Modelling of respiration rate of sapota fruit under aerobic conditions. Journal of Food Process Engineering. Vol. 32 (4) pp. 528-543