Dr. Rajeev Kapila
Dr. Rajeev Kapila
Animal Biochemistry Division, ICAR-NDRI, Karnal
Current Research Area
Animal Biochemistry, Nutraceuticals, Probiotics &Postbiotics, Bioactive compounds in milk & milk products, Validation of food health attributes Bio-availability/Bio-accessibility trials
- M.Sc (Animal Biochemistry)
- Ph.D. (Major in Biochemistry & Minor in Molecular biology & Biotechnology)
Research & Teaching Experience: 26 years
Awards & Honours:
- Life fellow of Academy of Environmental Biology
- Scholar grant of European Union Hochschule Anhalt, Kothen Germany (2015)
- International Training to USA under IDP (NAHEP) , 2020
- Certificate of appreciation for outstanding contribution in teaching at ICAR-NDRI, 2013
Members of the Societies:
- Life member of the Society of Biological Chemists (SBC)
- Life member of the Society for conservation of Domestic Animal Biodiversity (SOCDAB)
- Life member of the Academy of Environmental Biology, India (AEB)
- Life member of Indian Science Congress Association (ISCA)
- Life member of Probiotic Association of India (PAI)
Students Guided : 11 Ph.D and 15 M.Sc/ M.V.Sc students
- Bhat, M.I., Kapila, S. and Kapila,R. (2020). Potential Probiotic Lactobacillus rhamnosus (MTCC-5897) Inhibits Escherichia coli Impaired Intestinal Barrier Function by Modulating the Host Tight Junction Gene. Probiotics and antimicrobial proteins, 12: 1149–1160.
- Bhat, M.I., Kapila, S. and Kapila, R. (2020). Lactobacillus fermentum (MTCC-5898) supplementation renders prophylactic action against Escherichia coli impaired intestinal barrier function through tight junction modulation LWT-Food Science and Technology 123: 109118, DOI: 1016/j.lwt.2020.109118.
- Kumari, A., Bhawal,S., Kapila,S.,Yadav,H. and Kapila, R.,(2020). Health-promoting role of dietary bioactive compounds through epigenetic modulations: a novel prophylactic and therapeutic approach. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition.1-21 DOI: 1080/10408398.2020.1825286.
- Mohapatra, SK, Panda, BSK, Verma, A.K., Kapila,R. And Dang, A.K.. (2020). Implantation associated changes in expression profile of indoleamine-2, 3-dioxygenase 1, Th1-Th2 cytokines, and interferon-stimulated genes on neutrophils and peripheral blood. Journal of Reproductive Immunology. 142: 103188.
- Rana, S., Bhawal, S., Kumari,A., Kapila, S. and Kapila, R. (2020). pH-dependent inhibition of AHL-mediated quorum sensing by cell-free supernatant of lactic acid bacteria in Pseudomonas aeruginosa PAO1. Microbial Pathogenesis, 142: 104105.
- Sowmya, K., Bhat, M.I., Bajaj, R.K., Kapila, S., Kapila, R. (2019). Antioxidative and anti-inﬂammatory potential with trans-epithelial transport of a buﬀalo casein-derived hexapeptide (YFYPQL). Food Bioscience 28 (2019) 151–163.
- Sowmya, K., Mala, D., Bhat, M.I.,Kumar,N., Bajaj, R.K.,, Kapila, S., Kapila, R. (2018).Bio-accessible milk casein derived tripeptide (LLY) mediates overlapping anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidative effects under cellular (Caco-2) and in vivo Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry 62: 167-180.
- Samtiya, M., Bhat, M.I., Gupta, T., Kapila, S., Kapila, R.,(2018) Safety Assessment of Potential Probiotic Lactobacillus fermentum 6 MTCC-5898 in Murine Model after Repetitive Dose for 28 Days 7 (Sub-Acute Exposure) Probiotics and Antimicrobial Proteins 12: 259-270.
- Bhat, M.I. and Kapila, R. (2017) Dietary metabolites derived from gut microbiota: critical modulators of epigenetic changes in mammals. Nutrition Reviews. 75(5): 374-389.
- Haq, M.R., Kapila, R. and Kapila, S. (2015). Release of β-casomorphin-7/5 during simulated gastrointestinal digestion of milk β-casein variants from Indian crossbred cattle (Karan Fries). Food Chemistry 168: 70-79.
- Saliganti, V., Kapila, R. ,Sharma, R. and Kapila, S.(2015). Feeding of probiotic Lactobacillus rhamnosus (MTCC 5897) fermented milk to suckling mothers alleviates ovalbumin induced allergic sensitisation in mice offspring. British Journal of Nutrition 114: 1168–1179.
- Haq, M.R, Kapila, R. and Saliganti ,V. (2014) Consumption of β-casomorphins-7/5 induce inflammatory immune response in mice gut through Th2 pathway. Journal of Functional Foods 8: 150-160.
- Sharma R, Kapila R., Kapasiya M, Saliganti V, Dass G and Kapila S.(2014). Dietary supplementation of milk fermented with probiotic Lactobacillus fermentum enhances systemic immune response and antioxidant capacity in aging mice. Nutrition Research. 34(11): 968-981.
- Haq, MRU, Kapila, R., Sharma R, Saliganti ,V. and Kapila, S.(2014). Comparative evaluation of cow β-casein variants (A1/A2) consumption on Th2-mediated inflammatory response in mouse gut. European Journal of Nutrition, 53:1039–1049.
- Shandilya, U.K., Kapila, R.*, Haq, M.R., Kapila S. and Kansal,V.K. (2013). Effect of thermal processing of cow and buffalo milk on the allergenic response of caseins and whey proteins in mice. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 93 (9): 2287–2292.
Number of Publications :
Research Papers: 80 Review articles: 06
Book Chapters: 10 Popular Articles: 05
Compendia/souvenirs: 06 Technical Bulletins: 03
- A Patent was filed (Application no. 2778/DEL/2013) during 2013 as Co-PI for “A peptide with osteoanabolic and antiresorptive activity”.
- A patent was filed ( Application no. 201711023424) during 2017 as Co-PI for “The preparation of buffalo milk casein hydrolysates with enriched antioxidative peptides and the process thereof”
Research Projects Handled as PI :
- Role of probiotic lactobacilli in the modulation of intestinal epithelium mediated barrier functions and immune signals. (DBT : 2016-2019)
- Applications of probiotics in alleviating allergic responses and (DBT 2011-2014)
- Evaluation of hyperimmune properties of milk proteins and their oral (Institutional: 2009-2011)
Research Projects Handled as Co-PI :
- Modulating the immune-cellular components and their signalling molecules in bovine colostrum and milk after micro-nutrient interventions and their functional validation under ex-vivo and in vivo animal models. (DBT: 2019-2022)
- Assessment of early pregnancy by analysis of neutrophil dynamics and gene expression in dairy cattle.(DBT: 2018-2021)
- Protein profiling of milk from native indigenous breeds (cow and buffalo) in relation to their bioactive potential (Institutional: 2018-2021).
- Evaluation of the osteogenic potential of milk-derived peptide in osteoporosis model (Institutional 2017-2020)
- Production of buffalo casein hydrolysates enriched with antioxidative and immunomodulatory peptides and their application for the development of functional (SERB – DST/ MOFPI: 2015-2017).
- Evaluation of Osteogenic peptides from buffalo (Institutional 2014-2017).
- Molecular basis for modulation of immunocompetence of neutrophilic function in vivo and in vitro of high producing cows and buffaloes peripartum. (DBT :2010-2013)
- A value chain on composite dairy foods with enhanced health attributes. (NAIP 2009-2013)
- Immunomodulatory and bone health-promoting biofunctional peptides of milk origin.(Institutional :2007-2010)