Dr. P. Narender Raju
Dr. P. Narender Raju
Scientist (Senior Scale)
Dairy Technology Division, ICAR-NDRI, Karnal, Haryana, Phone: (0184)-2259597
Current Research Area
• Food Packaging • Health foods
- B.Tech. (Dairy Technology)
- M.Sc. (Food Science & Technology)
- Ph.D. (Dairy Technology)
Major Research Accomplishments:
- Development of electrospun smart oxygen sensor
- Development of milk protein-starch-nanoclay based bionanocomposite films
- Development of a process for iron-fortification of paneer using edible coatings
- Shelf life extension of burfi using herbal essential oils
- Modified atmosphere packaging of composite dairy foods
- Best Teacher Award (2018) at the 17th Convocation of ICAR-NDRI (Deemed University), Karnal held on 23rd March 2019.
- Associate Fellowship (2018) of the National Academy of Dairy Science (India).
- Visiting Faculty to Indo-Myanmar (Burma) Advanced Centre for Agricultural Research and Education (IM-ACARE) at Yezin Agricultural University, Nay Pyi Taw during June-July 2018.
- Member of the Scientific Panel on Milk and Milk Products of Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI), New Delhi (2015-19)
- Mentor for Visiting Scientists from Sri Lanka under the Research Training Fellowship for Developing Country Scientists (RTF-DCS) scheme of NAM S&T, Govt. of India during 2014 and 2016.
- Certificate of Appreciation for Outstanding Contributions as a Teacher for twoconsecutive years 2012-13 and 2013-14 at 11th and 12th Convocations of ICAR-NDRI (Deemed University), Karnal, respectively.
- Recipient of prestigious Young Researcher Award at International Conference on Functional Dairy Foods organized by Dairy Technology Society of India (DTSI) during 2011.
- Recipient of Best Oral Paper Award at the National Seminar on Engineering Interventions for Global Competitiveness of Indian Dairy Industry held at ICAR-NDRI, Karnal during 8-9 Sep, 2014.
- Recipient of Best Poster Awards (6) at National and International Conferences such as ICFOST-AFSTI (1), DIC-IDA (1), PAi (1), ISPI (2), others (1).
- Recipient of Best Project Award (Cash prize of Rs. 75,000) at National Students Research Convention (ANVESHAN) at Bengal Engineering and Science University, Howrah organized by Association of Indian Universities, New Delhi during 2009.
- Research Work carried out under my guidance by students’viz. Mr. Gaurav Kumar Deshwal (2017), Mr. Rakesh Kumar Raman and Ms. Uma Karpurapu (2019) for theirM.Tech. and Ph.D. Dairy Technology degrees received Best Project Awards at National Students Research Convention (ANVESHAN)
|Completed Research Projects|
|S.No.||Title of Project||Funding
|Role||Duration/Date of completion|
|Ongoing Research Projects|
|1.||Development of edible antimicrobial packaging films traditional dairy sweetmeats using metabolites of lactic acid bacteria||DST, Ministry of S&T, Govt. of India.||Co-PI||Oct, 2017 – Sep, 2020|
|2.||Development of methods to assess the chemicals migration from the packaging used for dairy products||MOFPI, Govt. of India||Co-PI||Oct, 2019 –Oct, 2021|
|Completed Research Projects|
|1.||Electrospun smart O2 sensor for modified atmosphere packaged dairy products||ICAR Extramural Research Project
(Agri. Engineering Division)
|Principal Investigator||Feb, 2016 to Mar, 2018|
|2.||Development of equipment for mechanized production of traditional Indian dairy products||ICAR Extramural Research Project
(Agri. Engineering Division)
|Co-Principal Investigator||Feb, 2016 to Mar, 2018|
|3.||Establishment of Agri-Business Incubators at ICAR-National Dairy Research Institute, Karnal||NAIP, ICAR,
|Project Associate||April, 2015 to March, 2017|
|4.||Bionanocomposites for packaging of milk-based foods||CRP on Nanotechnology in Agriculture, ICAR, New Delhi||Principal Investigator||Apr 2014 to Mar 2015|
|5.||Establishment of Business Planning and Development Unit at National Dairy Research Institute, Karnal||NAIP, ICAR,
|Co-Principal Investigator||Apr, 2013 to Mar, 2016|
|6.||Investigations on high pressure induced effects on quality characteristics of buffalo milk||NFBSFARA (National Fund), ICAR, New Delhi||Co-Principal Investigator||Jan, 2011 to Dec, 2012|
|7.||A value chain on composite dairy foods with enhanced health attributes||NAIP, ICAR,
|Project Associate||Jun, 2010 to Mar 2013|
|8.||Technology of ricotta cheese from cow and buffalo milk systems||Institute Research Council, NDRI, Karnal||Project Associate||Apr, 2017 to Mar, 2020|
|9.||Conducting polymer-based rapid detection of microbial quality of milk||Institute Research Council, NDRI, Karnal||Project Associate||Apr, 2017 to Mar, 2020|
|10.||Preparation and characterization of micro/nano delivery system for ‘green’ carotenoids||Institute Research Council, NDRI, Karnal||Project Associate||Apr, 2016 to Mar, 2019|
|11.||Shelf-life extension of Aloe vera supplemented probiotic lassi by non-thermal interventions||Institute Research Council, NDRI, Karnal||Project Associate||Apr, 2014 to Mar, 2017|
|12.||Effect of packaging materials and modified atmosphere packaging on the shelf life of selected composite dairy foods||Institute Research Council, NDRI, Karnal||Project Leader||Jan, 2012 to Dec, 2014|
Training programmes conducted:
Organizing Coordinator for one month training programme on “Food and Bakery Products” under the aegis of SINED-TBI & BPD Unit, ICAR-NDRI during Jul-Aug, 2016
- Co-Course Director for Summer School on “Engineering Interventions in Processing and Value Addition of Milk and Milk Products” sponsored by HRD Division, ICAR, New Delhi during Sep, 2014
- Co-Course Director for National Training on “Innovations in Processing and Packaging of Milk and Milk Products” organized under the aegis of CAFT in Dairy Processing (ICAR) during Jul-Aug, 2013
- Co-Course Director for Regional Training (International) on “Quality Control of Milk during Production, Processing and Marketing and Introduction to Novel Technologies for Dairy Products Diversification” sponsored by SAARC Agricultural Centre, Dhaka during April, 2012
- Coordinator for the National Training on “Basic and Applied Approaches in Designing of Dairy Based Nutraceuticals and Functional Foods” sponsored by NAIP, ICAR, New Delhi during July, 2011.
Training programmes attended
Attended a Training-cum-Awareness Programme on “IP Protection and Technology Transfer in Indian Perspectives” at ICAR-NBAGR, Karnal during 30-31 January 2017.
- Attended 10 days “Training Workshop on Innovative Approaches to Technology Enhanced Learning” during 28th October – 6th November, 2015 at ICAR-NAARM, Hyderabad.
- Attended 10 days Short Course on “Application of ElectrospunNanofibres in Crop Health and Post-Harvest Technology” during 15-24 September 2014 at ICAR-CIRCOT, Mumbai.
- Management Development Programme on “Consultancy Projects Management” organized by National Academy of Agricultural Research Management, Hyderabad during 1-7 August 2013.
- Laboratory training programme on “Testing and Quality Evaluation of Packaging Materials” organized by Indian Institute of Packaging, Mumbai during 11-12 July 2013.
- Training onMultimedia Applications for E-Content Development for Dairy Technology Facultyunder NAIP subproject “Development of E-Courses for B.Tech (Dairy Technology) Degree Programme” at National Academy of Agricultural Research Management, Hyderabad from 22nd March – 2nd April, 2011.
- Training on “Microencapsulation for Food and Biotechnological Applications” at Central Institute of Post Harvest Engineering and Technology, Ludhiana, Punjab during 5-11 January, 2011.
- Training onData Analysis using SASunder NAIP subproject “Statistical Software Computing for NARS” at Dairy Economics, Statistics and Management Division, NDRI, Karnal from 18-24 December, 2010.
- Training onE-learning for Dairy Science Facultyunder NAIP subproject “Development of E-Courses for B.Tech (Dairy Technology) Degree Programme” at National Academy of Agricultural Research Management, Hyderabad from 19-29 October, 2010.
- Hands-on Training one-Learning Management Systems (e-LMS) using MOODLE Softwareat Computer Centre, NDRI, Karnal on 29th September, 2010.
|1.||Deshwal GK, Ameta R, Sharma H, Singh AK, Panjagari NR and Baria B (2020). Effect of ultrafiltration and fat content on chemical, functional, textural and sensory charcateristics of goat-milk-based Halloumi-type cheese. LWT-Food Science and Technology, doi: 10.1016/j.lwt.2020.109341.|
|2.||Kumar CTM, Sabikhi L, Singh AK, Raju PN, Kumar R, Sharma R (2019). Effect of sodium caseinate, whey protein concentrate and transglutaminase on the properties of depigmented pearl millet based gluten free past. LWT-Food Science and Technology, 103: 19-26.|
|3.||Parmar P, Singh AK, Meena GS, Borad S and Raju PN (2018). Application of ohmic heating for concentration of milk. Journal of Food Science and Technology, 55(12): 4956-4963.|
|4.||Deshwal GK, Panjagari NR, Badola R, Singh AK, Minz PS, Ganguly and Alam T (2018). Characterization of biopolymer-based UV-activated intelligent oxygen indicator for food packaging applications. Journal of Packaging Technology and Research, Vol.2: 29-43.|
|5.||Kumar M, Panjagari NR, Kanade PP, Singh AK, Badola R, Ganguly S, Behare PV, Sharma R, Alam T (2018). Sodium caseinate-starch-modified monotmorillonite based biodegradable film: Laboratory food extruder assisted exfoliation and characterization.Food Packaging and Shelf Life, Vol. 15: 17-27|
|6.||Aggarwal D, Sabikhi L, Kumar MHS, Panjagari NR (2018). Investigating the effect of resistant starch, polydextrose and biscuit improver on the textural and sensory characteristics of dairy-multigrain composite biscuits using response surface methodology. Journal of Food Measurement and Characterization, 12(2): 1167-1176.|
|7.||Parmar P, Singh AK, Gupta VK, Borad S and Raju PN (2018). Effect of packaging material on shelf life of basundi manufactured using ohmic heating. Indian Journal of Dairy Science, Vol.71(3): 215-222.|
|8.||Jotarkar PS, Panjagari NR, Singh AK, Arora S (2017). Effect of whey protein-iron based edible coating on the quality of paneer and process optimization.International Journal of Dairy Technology, DOI. 10.1111/1471-0307.12478|
|9.||Kumar CTM, Panjagari NR, Singh AK (2017). Effect of packaging materials and storage temperatures on shelf life of micronutrient fortified milk-cereal based complementary food. Journal of Packaging Technology and Research, Vol. 1: 135-148.|
|10.||Panicker AS, Ali SA, Anand S, Panjagari NR, Kumar S, Mohanty AK, Behare PV (2018). Evaluation of some in vitro probiotic properties of Lactobacillus fermentum strains. Journal of Food Science and Technology, 55: 2801-2807.|
|11.||Kumar A, Hussain SA, Panjagari NR, Singh AK, Singh RRB (2017). Packaging material affects the quality characteristics of aloe-probiotic lassi during storage.Food Bioscience, Vol. 19:34-41.|
|12.||Badola R, Panjagari NR, Singh RRB, Singh AK, Prasad W (2017). Combined effect of herbal essential oil and in-package microwave thermization on shelf life of burfi.Indian Journal of Dairy Science, Vol. 70(6):|
|13.||Badola R, Singh RRB, Panjagari NR, Singh AK, Hussain SA (2017). Effect of selected humectants as water activity modifiers on the quality of model khoa system.Indian Journal of Dairy Science, Vol. 70(2): 145-154.|
|14.||Singh B, Singh AK, Raju PN, Rani R (2017). Nutritive value and physical properties of eggless muffin.International Journal of Science, Environment and Technology, Vol.6(2): 1309-1314.|
|15.||Singh B, Singh AK, Rani R, Debnath A, Raju PN (2017). Effect of milk fat (white butter) and vegetable fat (shortening) on the sensory, colour and textural attributes of eggless muffin.The Pharma Innovation, Vol. 6.4(Part C): 140-144.|
|16.||Meena GS, Singh AK, Borad S, Panjagari NR (2016). Effect of concentration, homogenization and stabilizing salts on heat stability and rheological properties of cow skim milk ultra filteredretentate.Journal of Food Science and Technology, Vol. 53(11): 3960-3968.|
|17.||Panjagari NR, Singh AK, Ganguly S, Indumathi KP (2015).Beta-glucanrich composite flour biscuits: modeling of moisture sorption isotherms and determination of sorption heat.Journal of Food Science and Technology, Vol. 52(9): 5497-5509.|
|18.||Panjagari NR, Priyanka, Ganguly S (2015) Starch-chitosan based composite edible antimicrobial film: modelling the growth of selected food spoilage microbiota.Indian Journal of Dairy Science, Vol. 68(4): 316-320.|
|19.||Kumar CTM, Panjagari NR, Singh AK (2016). Barley-pearl millet-milk based complementary food: Steady shear and dynamic oscillatory and applications of Cox-Merz rule.Indian Journal of Dairy Science, Vol. 69(5): 535-542.|
|20.||Kumar CTM, Panjagari NR, Singh AK (2015). Barley-pearl millet-milk based mineral fortified complementary food: moisture adsorption isotherms.Indian Journal of Dairy Science, Vol. 68(2): 218-222.|
|1.||Ganguly S,Panjagari NR, Raman RK (2020). Flaxseed (Linumusitatissimum). In “Oilseeds: Health Attributes and Food Applications” Tanwar B and Goyal A (eds.), Springer Nature, doi: 10.1007/978-981-15-4194-0_10|
|2.||Sabikhi L, Khetra Y and Raju PN (2018). Processing and packaging of dairy-based products. In “Food Process Engineering and Quality Assurance” Mohan CO, Carvajal-Millan E, Ravishankar CN and Haghi AK (eds), CRC Press, Taylor and Francis Group, Pp: 311-375.|
|3.||Sharma AK, Panjagari NR and Singh AK (2018). Intelligent modelling of moisture sorption isotherms in milk protein-rich extruded snacks prepared from composite flour. In “Computing, Analytics and Networks. ICAN 2017”, Sharma R, Mantri A, Dua S. (eds), Communications in Computer and Information Science, vol. 805, Springer Singapore. Pp: 124-137.|
|4.||Panjagari NR, Singh RRB, Singh AK (2016). Indian traditional fermented dairy products.In “Traditional Foods: General and Consumer Aspects”, Kristbergsson K and Oliveira J.(eds). Springer Science. Pp: 101-114.|
|5.||Raju PN (2016). Recent trends in nanocomposite packaging materials for dairy and food applications.In “Dairy and Food Product Technology” B. K. Mishra and S. Hati (Eds.). Biotech Books, New Delhi, India. pp: 193-202.|
|6.||Raju PN and Singh AK (2016). Packaging of fermented milks and dairy products.In “Fermented Milk and Dairy Products”, Puniya, A.K. (ed), CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, USA. Pp: 638-671.|
|7.||Raju PN, Singh AK (2014). Alternatively sweetened dairy food formulations for diabetic and calorie conscious consumers. In “Dairy and Food Processing Industry: Recent Trends”, Part-I, B.K. Mishra (ed), Biotech Books, New Delhi, pp: 1-17.|
|8.||Dodeja AK, Minz PS, Raju PN, Dabas JK (2013). Dairy. In“Handbook of Agricultural Engineering”, Indian Council of Agricultural Research, New Delhi.|
|9.||Singh AK, Singh RRB, Raju PN, Srivastava AK (2010). Dairy Ingredients for Formulated and Functional Foods. In “Extruded Functional Foods using Plant and Dairy Ingredients”, Bargale, P. C. and Kulkarni, S. D. (eds), ICAR-CIAE, Bhopal. Pp: 70-82.|
|10.||Raju PN, Rao KH (2011). Application of Biosensors for the Quality Assurance of Dairy Products. In “Biosensors in Food Processing, Safety and Quality Control”, M. Mutlu (ed), CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, USA. Pp: 227-256.|
|Review articles (Number)|
|1.||Deshwal GK, Panjagari NR (2019). Review on metal packaging: materials, forms, food applications, safety and recyclability. Journal of Food Science and Technology, doi: 10.1007/s13197-019-04172-z|
|2.||Deshwal GK, Panjagari NR and Alam T (2019). An overview of paper and paper-based food packaging materials: health safety and environmental concerns. Journal of Food Science and Technology, 56: 4391-4403.|
|3.||Aggarwal D, Raju PN, Alam T, Sabikhi L and Arora B (2018). Advances in processing of heat desiccated traditional dairy foods of Indian sub-continent and their marketing potential. Food and Nutrition Journal, 3: 172. Doi. 10.29011/2575-7091.100072|
|4.||Ganguly S, Raju PN, Rao KH (2017). Packaging innovations for effective dairy supply chain management – A review.Indian Journal of Dairy Science, Vol. 70(6): 621-632.|
|5.||Deshwal GK, Panjagari NR (2017) Electrospun structures for dairy and food packaging applications.Research & Reviews: Journal of Dairy Science and Technology, 6(1): 17–23.|
|6.||Meena, GS, Singh AK, Panjagari NR, Arora S (2016). Milk protein concentrates: opportunities and challenges. Journal of Food Science and Technology, 54(10): 3010-3024.|
|7.||Hussain SA, Panjagari NR, Singh RRB, Patil GR (2015). Potential herbs and herbal nutraceuticals: food applications and their interactions with food components. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition. Vol. 55(1): 94-122.|
|8.||Sarangdhar JP, Panjagari NR (2015). Scope of edible packaging for micronutrient fortification of dairy products. Research & Reviews: Journal of Dairy Science and Technology.Vol. 4(3): 1-10.|
|9.||Kumar CTM, Raju PN, Singh AK, Ganguly S, Patel MM (2015). Milk-cereal-based composite complementary foods and their storage stability: a mini review.Research & Reviews: Journal of Dairy Science and Technology,Vol. 4 (1): 1-10.|
|10.||Patel MM, Raju PN, Singh, AK and Kumar CTM (2014). Storage stability of processed and packaged milk: a review. Research & Reviews: Journal of Dairy Science and Technology, Vol. 3 (1): 1-10.|
|Editorials/ Popular articles|
|1.||Panjagari NR, Kanade PP, Bishnoi MK (2016). Bionanocomposite Packaging Materials. Food Marketing and Technology. August, pp:1-10.|
|2.||Jotarkar PS, Raju PN, Ganguly, S. (2015). Dairy protein ingredients for functional foods. Food Marketing and Technology. Vol. 6(4): 48-50.|
|3.||Raju PN, Ganguly S, Singh AK (2014). Biosensors for quality control of dairy products. Food Marketing and Technology. Vol. 5(2): 44-47.|
|4.||Raju PN, Kumar CTM, Ganguly S, Singh AK (2014). Emerging packaging systems and their potential applications for traditional dairy products.Indian Dairyman, Vol. 66(7): 82-86.|
|5.||Raju PN, Ganguly S, Priyanka (2013). Antimicrobial food packaging materials.Food Marketing and Technology, Vol. 4(5): 40-42.|
|6.||Rao KH, Raju PN, Reddy GP, Hussain SA (2013). Public-private-partnership and value addition: a two-pronged approach for sustainable dairy supply chain management.Journal of Supply Chain Management. Vol. X (1): 15-25.|
|7.||Raju PN, Khetra Y, Pal D, Kanawjia SK, Singh AK (2012). Mistidahi variants for health-conscious consumers.Indian Dairyman.Vol. 64(9): 58-64|
|8.||Minz PS, Sharma AK, Raju PN (2012). Automatic food quality evaluation using computer vision system – a framework. Beverage and Food World.Vol. 39(3): 23-26|
|9.||Khetra Y, Raju PN, Hati S, Kanawjia SK (2011). Health benefits of traditional fermented milk products. Indian Dairyman. Vol. 63(9): 54-60|
|10.||Pal D, Raju PN (2010). Traditional Indian dairy products with functional attributes: Status and scope. Indian Food Industry. Vol. 29(1): 13-21|
|Patents applied for|
|1||A biopolymer based electrospun oxygen indicator for dairy products packaging. Indian Patent Application # 201811023361.|
|2||A process for iron fortification of paneer using edible coating. Indian Patent Application # 3926/DEL/2015.|
- Visiting Scientist to School of Packaging, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, USA to undergo Hands-on-Training on Active and Biodegradable Packaging under the guidance of Dr. Eva Almenar, Associate Professor during April-June 2019.
- Visiting Faculty to Indo-Myanmar (Burma) Advanced Centre for Agricultural Research and Education (IM-ACARE) for delivering course on Food Chemistry and Microbiology at Yezin Agricultural University, Nay Pyi Taw through ICAR-IARI, New Delhi during June-July 2018.