Dr. Gopal Ramdasji Gowane
Dr. Gopal Ramdasji Gowane
Animal Genetics & Breeding Division, ICAR-NDRI, Karnal
Current Research Area
Quantitative genetics; Immuno-Genetics
Major Research Accomplishments
- Avishaan: A prolific sheep (Co-developer)
- This newly developed prolific sheep is helpful for improving the productivity of animals and hence economic upliftment of the sheep farmers
- Malpura improved germplasm (Developer)
- The elite flock of Malpura sheep is developed. The community-based breeding in the Malpura sheep breeders is taken up for Scientific sheep rearing
- Hemonchuscontortus resistant strains of Malpura and Avikalin sheep (Co-developer)
- The genetically resistant flock of Avikalin and Malpura sheep for Hemonchuscontortus is developed through selective breeding.
- Unbiased estimates of genetic parameters using Animal model (Sheep) for prediction of breeding values and total genetic merit.
- The utility of genomic selection in places with less resources has been worked out with selective genotyping approach
- Community based breeding programme in sheep breeding – A model for the CBBP is developed
- Deciphered the MHC diversity in sheep breeds of India
- Genetics of variability in the Vaccine response (FMD/PPR/ET) in cattle, sheep and goat
- Endeavour Research fellowship 2017
- Best scientist (employee) award 2014
- International Travel Scholarship for WCGALP (DST) 2017
- Various poster and oral presentation awards during scientific conferences
Patents/Technology/Methodology/Genetic Stock, Variety etc
- Genetically improved sheep breeds and strains: Malpura sheep for higher growth, Malpura and Avikalin strains for Hemonchuscontortus resistance, Avishaan: a three breed prolific sheep
- Sheep Database Management System: sheepdbms.org.in (Co-developer)
- This is a national level sheep database management system developed for AICRP/MSSP database of breeding projects
- AVIMITRA (Co-developer)
- An android mobile application reflecting sheep and rabbit husbandry and overview of CSWRI.
- AVIMEGH: (Developer)
- An android mobile application for community-based breeding program in Malpura sheep project (MSSP-CSWRI Avikanagar)for real time data collection and management decisions.
- 80th Foundation Course for Agricultural Research Service; NAARM, Hyderabad; Jan 08, 2007 to May 07, 2007
- Genetic analysis of animal breeding data using advanced software packages; NDRI, Karnal; October 10-30, 2007
- Innovations in wool production and technologies for value addition; CSWRI, Avikanagar; Dec 4, 2008 to Dec 24, 2008
- Genotype by environment interaction in breeding programs at University of New England as a part of Endeavour Research Fellowship-2016 on 30.01.2017 to 03.02.2017.
- Summer Institute in Statistical Genetics. Module: Quantitative Genetics by Dr. Bruce Walsh. At Institute of Molecular Biosciences, the University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia. February 2017.
Research Publications: 88 research papers and 8 review papers
List of 10 (Ten) most important publications:
|1.||GR Gowane, A Chopra, V Prakash, AL Arora. 2010. Estimates of (co) variance components and genetic parameters for body weights and first greasy fleece weight in Malpura sheep. Livestock Science 131 (1), 94-101||L023
|2.||GR Gowane, A Chopra, LLL Prince, C Paswan, AL Arora. 2010.
Estimates of (co) variance components and genetic parameters for body weights and first greasy fleece weight in Bharat Merino sheep
Animal 4 (3), 425-431
|3.||GR Gowane, A Chopra, LLL Prince, AK Mishra, AL Arora. 2011. Genetic analysis for growth traits of prolific Garole× Malpura (GM) sheep. Tropical animal health and production 43 (2), 299-303||T100
|4.||GR Gowane, A Chopra, V Prakash, AL Arora.2011. Estimates of (co) variance components and genetic parameters for growth traits in Sirohi goat. Tropical animal health and production 43 (1), 189-198||T100
|5.||GR Gowane, AK Sharma, M Sankar, K Narayanan, Biswajit Das, S Subramaniam, B Pattnaik. 2013. Association of BoLA DRB3 alleles with variability in immune response among the crossbred cattle vaccinated for foot-and-mouth disease (FMD). Research in Veterinary Science 95 (1), 156-163||R038
|6.||GR Gowane*, V Prakash, A Chopra, LLL Prince. 2013. Population structure and effect of inbreeding on lamb growth in Bharat Merino sheep. Small Ruminant Research 114 (1), 72-79||S046
|7.||GR Gowane, CP Swarnkar, LLL Prince, A Kumar. 2018. Genetic parameters for neonatal mortality in lambs at semi-arid region of Rajasthan India. Livestock Science 210, 85-92||L023
|8.||GR Gowane, CP Swarnkar, SS Misra, R Kumar, A Kumar, LLL Prince. 2019. Genetic parameter estimates for fecal egg counts and their relationship with growth in Avikalin and Malpura sheep
Animal, 1-9: https://doi.org/10.1017/S1751731118003749
|9.||GR Gowane*, Arun Kumar and Chanda Nimbkar. 2019. Challenges and opportunities to livestock breeding programmes in India. Journal of Animal Breeding and Genetics. DOI: 10.1111/jbg.12391||J043
|10.||Gowane, G. R., Sang Hong Lee, Sam Clark, Nasir Moghaddar, Hawlader A Al‐Mamun, Julius HJ van der Werf. 2019. Effect of selection and selective genotyping for creation of reference on bias and accuracy of genomic prediction. Journal of Animal Breeding and Genetics. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/jbg.12420||J043
- MVSc – 1
Research Project Handled:6 projects (as PI)
H index : 14