Dr. Gautam Kaul
Dr. Gautam Kaul
Division of Animal Biochemistry, National Dairy Research Institute, Karnal 132001 Haryana Tel(O) 91-184-2259133, 2259115 (R) 184-6534422 (M) 7206896990 google.com/+GautamKaul_NDRI_ICAR www.facebook.com/gautam.kaul.56 in.linkedin.com/in/gautamkaul1/
Current Research Area
"Biochemistry and Molecular Biology” Buffalo spermatozoa functionality as affected by nanoparticles and carbon nanotubes.
- M.Sc (Biochemistry)
- Ph.D (Biochemistry)
- Postdoctoral Research-Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston,USA., Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics, University of Pittsburgh,USA.
Major Research Accomplishments
Guidance to student :
- State Merit Scholarship 1982
- Jr. Res. Fellowship (ICAR) 1986
- Sr. Res. Fellowship (ICAR) 1991
- D.B.T., New Delhi, India, Research Associateship award 2007.
- D.S.T., New Delhi, India Research Post Doc. Award 2003.
- U.P.M.C., PA, U.S.A., Office of Enterprise Development O.E.D. Award 2008.
- T.M.C., TX, U.S.A., Humane Society H.S.U.S. Project Award 2003.
- N.D.R.I. (I.C.A.R.), Karnal, India Best Thesis (Production) award as PhD Guide 2009.
- Life Member of the Society of Biotechnologists of India (S.B.T.I).
- Life Member of the Indian Science Congress Association, (I.S.C.A.).
- Annual Member of the “International Nanoscience Community Network” (I.N.C.N).
- Life Member of Indian Society for the Study of Reproduction and Fertility, (I.S.S.R.F.).
- Life Member of the Society of Biological Chemists (S.B.C.) of India.
- Life member of the Dairy Technology Society of India (D.T.S.I).
- Life Member of the Biotechnology Research Society of India (B.R.S.I).
- Annual Member of the Stem Cell Research Forum of India (S.C.R.F.I).
- Life Member of Society for Conservation of Domestic Animal Biodiversity (SOCDAB).
- Life Member of the Indian Dairy Association, (I.D.A.).
- In vitro studies on maintenance of cells using Multi Walled Carbon Nanotubes,MWCNT’s. Naficillin loaded biodegradable PLGA nanoparticles. Effect of Titanium and Europium Oxide Nanoparticles on membrane and DNA Integrity of cells. Silver nanoparticles affected functionality of buffalo sperm cells. Cell functionality as affected by single walled and multi walled carbon nanotubes,SWCNT / MWCNT and metallic nanoparticles,NP’s.
Patents, Technology, Methodology, Genetic Stock, Variety, etc.:
- Fluorescent assay probe technology: CTC for detection and assay of capacitation.
- Pisum sativum agglutinin epifluorescent tag technology for acrosome reaction.
- Photobleach fluorescent staining technology of vectors with photoactivebiotin (PAB).
- Second generation DNA contraceptive vaccine technology for animals.
- Buaculovirus transfection technology using Sf9 insect cell line.
- Partial LiF replacement technology for feeder free stem cells.
- Isopycnic gradient ultracentrifugation methodology for plasma membrane of sperm cells.
- 12 Accession No. for various genes have been released by NCBI/GeneBank.
- Metabolites from whey permeate using continuous biofermentor technology.
- Heparin agarose high affinity chromatography methodology for plasma proteins.
- Patents Awarded: Australian Patent Number: 2012100716 Invention title :“Hydro sprayed saline micro globules as vehicles for electrically assisted intra cervical delivery of sperms in dairy cattle” Inventor(s) : Dr Gautam Kaul, Validity: 2012-2021
- Patent Awarded: Australian Patent Number 2012100720 Invention title : Immunomagnetic microbeads for enrichment of CD9+ spermatogonial cells” Inventor: Dr Gautam Kaul, Validity: 2012-2022
- G Kaul and L Chen. “Mammalian Spermatogonia: Germ Cells of the Water Buffalo” 2008, US I.S.B.N. No: 978-1-4507-0503-5 Publisher Services, Chicago, IL, 90611, U.S.A.
- G Kaul and L Chen. “Testicular Germline Cells; Spermatogonia of the Indian Goat” 2007, US I.S.B.N. No: 978-1-4507-0604-9 Publisher Services, Chicago, IL, 90611, U.S.A.
- J Kaur and G Kaul “Protein translocation pathways across the inner and outer mitochondrial membranes” 2008 Indian J Biochemistry and Biophysics 45 (2) 149-156.
- G Kaul, J Kaur and T A Rafeequi “Ultrasound mediated transplantation of spermatogonia in prepubertal goats” 2009 Reproduction in Domestic Animals. Volume 46 (2).DOI 10.1111 /j.1439-0531. 2009. 01549
- J Tokas and G Kaul, “Detection of CD9 antigen on buffalo spermatogonial cells” Ind Vet J. 2009 86:1134-1137.
- Gautam Kaul, D Mohan Kumar and H S Thippeshswamy, “Detection of IGF-I receptor on caprine spermatozoa by RT-PCR method” 2009. Ind J Dairy Sci 62, 4,19-22.
- H S Thippeshswamy and Gautam Kaul: Role of heat shock proteins in diseases and their therapeutic potential in animals.2009 Ind J Microbiol. 20: 9-18
- G Kaul, S Singh, K K Gandhi and S R Anand “ Calcium requirement and time course of capacitation of goat spermatozoa assessed by chlortetracycline assay” 2007 Andrologia 29, 243-251.
- G Kaul, K K Gandhi, G S Sharma and B Singh “Antigens of Goat Spermatozoa that Recognize Homologous Zona Pellucida” Reproduction in Domestic Animals Volume 40, (1), 2005: 11-18.
- S V Prasad, G Kaul and B S Dunbar “Structure and function of mammalian zonae pellucidae” 2004, Mammalian Reprod. 12: 203-209
- G Kaul, G S Sharma, B Singh and K K Gandhi “Capacitation and acrosome reaction in buffalo bull spermatozoa assessed by chlortetracycline and pisum sativum agglutinin fluorescence assay Therigenology 2002 55: 1457-1468
- B Dunbar, G Kaul, M Prasad and S M Skinner “ Molecular approaches for the evaluation of immune responses to zona pellucida(ZP) and development of second generation Z.P. Vaccines 2002, Reproduction 60 : 9-18
- G Kaul, M Kumar, K K Gandhi and S R Anand “Surface protein changes in goat sperm during capacitation; Ind J Exp Biol. 2000 38: 18-25
- G Kaul and K K Gandhi “Inhibition of goat sperm zona binding by monoclonal antibodies to a glycoprotein family (ZP4) of porcine zona. Small Rum. Res. 2000 35: 149-156.
- Carbon Nanotubes as a Scaffold for Spermatogonial Cell Maintenance Journal BioMedical Nanotechnology (2010) Towseef Rafeeqi and Gautam Kaul doi:10.1166/jbn.2010.1167
- A unique and promising scaffolding structure for animal cell culture:Carbon Nanotubes Indian Journal of Animal Sciences 80 (12): 1–10, December 2010 Towseef Rafeeqi and Gautam Kaul
- Elucidation of Interaction Between Multi-Walled Carbon Nanotubes and Cell Culture Medium by Spectroscopy Supports Biocompatibility of These Nanotubes Science Letters(2010) doi:10.1166/asl.2011.1240 Gautam Kaul