Dr. Ganga Sahay Meena
Dr. Ganga Sahay Meena
Dairy Technology Division , ICAR-NDRI, Karnal, Telephone No: 91-1842259485
Current Research Area
• High-protein dairy ingredients ( Milk Protein Concentrates); Processing and utilization of dairy by-products • Membrane processing of dairy streams, Ohmic heating
- Ph.D. (Dairy Technology)
Major Research Accomplishments:
- Technology development and shelf-life enhancement of Kheer-Mohan from bovine and buffalo milk.
- Functionality improvement of bovine milk based Milk Protein Concentrates MPC55-MPC70
- Technology development for the production of buffalo milk based Milk Protein Concentrate 60 and its functionality improvement.
- Production of Milk Protein Concentrate 80 from buffalo milk.
- Quality improvement of set-fermented dairy products (Dahi and Yoghurt) employing ultrafiltration
- Best Oral Presentation award:First Prize; Shinde, A and Meena, G.S. (2018). Effect of Sodium Tripolyphosphate and Sodium Hexametaphosphate on Quality Properties of Buffalo Milk Protein Concentrate 60, IDEA, and 11th National Convention & Seminar on “Dairy Process Engineering from Farm to Table” organized at Indore during October, 21-22, 2018.
- Best Poster presentation: First Prize; Meena, G.S. Handa, G., Khetra, Y. and H.V, Raghu (2018). Shelf life enhancement of Kheer Mohan Through Hurdle Technology, IDEA, 11th National Convention & Seminar on “Dairy Process Engineering from Farm to Table” organized at Indore during October, 21-22, 2018
- 2nd Best Research Paper Award:Meena, G.S.,Singh, A.K., Gupta, V.K., Jayswal, D., Parmar, P.T. and Gupta, H.R. (2018). Estimating cost for production of soluble milk protein concentrate70 (MPC 70) at 47th Dairy Industry Conference, organized at Patna, Bihar during Feb., 9-11, 2019.
|S.No.||Title of Project||Funding
|Role||Duration/Date of completion|
|Ongoing Research Projects|
|1.||Development of Calcium enriched high milk protein powder for convenience formulations of traditional dairy products||MoFPI||Co-PI||2 years
|2.||Entrepreneurship Development for Gender Mainstreaming in Secondary Agriculture with Focus on Dairying||DST||Co-PI||3 years
|3.||Development of processed cheese from milk protein ingredients
|ICAR-NDRI||Co-PI||3 years, March 2020|
|Completed Research Projects|
|1.||Efficacy of buttermilk as an encapsulating agent for omega 3 fatty acids||ICAR-NDRI||Co-PI||3 years
|2.||Technology development for the production of milk protein concentrate (MPC60) from buffalo milk||ICAR-NDRI||PI||3 years,
|3.||Preparation and Characterization of Micro/nano delivery systems for “green” carotenoids||ICAR-NDRI||Co-PI||3 years,
|4.||Development of Low Sodium Varieties of Cheeses||ICAR-NDRI||Co-PI||3 years,
|5.||Technology development for manufacturing of Kheer Mohan||ICAR-NDRI||PI||3 years,
|6.||Quality improvement of set fermented dairy products using ultrafiltration technology||ICAR-NDRI||Co-PI||3 years
|7.||Effect of packaging materials and modified atmosphere packaging on the shelf life of selected composite dairy foods.||ICAR-NDRI||Co-PI||3 years
Training programmes conducted:
- Organized a national training as Course Coordinator on “Recent and Emerging Applications of Membrane Processes in Dairy Industry” during November 4-24, 2019 under the Under the aegis of Centre of Advanced Faculty Training (CAFT) at Dairy Technology division, ICAR- National Dairy Research Institute Karnal, Haryana, India-132001.
- Organized a national training as Course Co-Director on “Innovative Approaches in Processing and Packaging of milk and milk Products” during 19th July to 8th August 2013 under the Under the aegis of Centre of Advanced Faculty Training (CAFT) at Dairy Technology division, ICAR- National Dairy Research Institute Karnal, Haryana, India-132001.
- As a Course Coordinator, along with Dr Shaik Abdul Hussain, Scientist (DT, NDRI) successfully organised a 9 days, Specialized Training Programme on “Milk Processing and Value addition” for dairy entrepreneurs. This training was organized at BPD unit, from 29 May-07 June, 2017.
- As a Course Coordinator, I have successfully organised a 10 days Entrepreneurship Development Programme for 20 persons at BPD NDRI, Karnal on “Milk Processing and Value addition” from June 21-30, 2018.
- As a Course Coordinator, successfully organised a 9 days, Specialized Training Programme on “Technology of Milk and Milk Products” for dairy entrepreneurs at ICAR-NDRI, Karnal organized by SINED, TBI and BPD unit during, 26th August to 3rd September 2016.
Training programmes attended
- Attended a National Training on “Application of High-pressure and Pulsed light Technology for Food Processing” during October 18-31, 2013 at ICAR-CIFT, Cochin. It was sponsored by National Agricultural Innovation Project (ICAR)New Delhi-110 012.
- Attended a National Training on NAIP Sponsored National Training on “Non-Thermal, Non Chemical Processing and Membrane Technology in Food Systems” from October12-21, 2011 at ICAR-CIAE, Bhopal, (MP).
|1.||Borad, S. G., Singh, A. K., Meena, G. S., & Raghu, H. V. (2020). Storage related changes in spray dried colostrum preparations. LWT – Food Science and Technology, 118, 108719.|
|2.||Meena, G. S., Singh, A. K., Gupta, V. K., Borad, S. G., Arora, S., &Tomar, S. K. (2019). Alteration in physicochemical, functional, rheological and reconstitution properties of milk protein concentrate powder by pH, homogenization and diafiltration. Journal of Food Science and Technology, 56(3), 1622-1630.|
|3.||Patil, A. T., Meena, G. S.,Upadhyay, N., Khetra, Y., Borad, S. G., & Singh, A. K. (2019). Effect of change in pH, heat treatment and diafiltration on properties of medium protein buffalo milk protein concentrate. Journal of Food Science and Technology,56(3), 1462-1472.|
|4.||Uttamrao, H. J., Meena, G. S.,Borad, S. G., Punjaram, S. A., Khetra, Y., Upadhyay, N., & Singh, A. K. (2019). Effect of disodium phosphate and homogenization on physico-chemical and rheological properties of buffalo skim milk based ultrafiltered retentate. Journal of Food Science and Technology, 56(5), 2426-2435.|
|5.||Meena, G. S.,Dewan, A., Upadhyay, N., Barapatre, R., Kumar, N., Singh, A. K., & JS, R. (2019). Fuzzy analysis of sensory attributes of gluten free pasta prepared from brown rice, amaranth, flaxseed flours and whey protein concentratesJ Food SciNutr Res. 2(1):021-036.|
|6.||Khetra, Y., Kanawjia, S. K., Puri, R., Kumar, R., &Meena, G. S. (2019). Using taste-induced saltiness enhancement for reducing sodium in Cheddar cheese: Effect on physico-chemical and sensorial attributes. International Dairy Journal, 91, 165-171.|
|7.||Tiwari, S., Upadhyay, N., Singh, A. K., Meena, G. S.,& Arora, S. (2019). Organic solvent-free extraction of carotenoids from carrot bio-waste and its physico-chemical properties. Journal of food science and technology, 56(10), 4678-4687.|
|8.||Meena, G.S., Singh, A.K., Gupta, V.K., Borad, S., Parmar, P.T. (2018.) Effect of change in pH of skim milk and ultrafiltered/diafilteredretentates on milk protein concentrate (MPC70) powder properties. Journal of Food Science and Technology, 55(9):3526-37.|
|9.||Patil A.T., Meena, G.S.,Upadhyay, N., Khetra, Y., Borad, S., and Singh A.K. (2018) Production and characterization of milk protein concentrates 60 (MPC60) from buffalo milk, LWT – Food Science and Technology, 91, 368–374.|
|10.||Meena, G.S., Singh, A.K., Gupta, V.K., Borad, S., Arora, S., Tomar, S.K., (2018) Effect of pH adjustment, homogenization and diafiltration on physicochemical, reconstitution, functional and rheological properties of medium protein milk protein concentrates (MPC70). Journal of Food Science and Technology, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-018-3052-y|
|11.||Parmar, P., Singh, A. K., Meena, G. S.,Borad, S., &Raju, P. N. (2018). Application of ohmic heating for concentration of milk. Journal of food science and technology, 55(12), 4956-4963.|
|12.||Yadav, V., Gupta, V. K., &Meena, G. S. (2018). Effect of culture levels, ultrafiltered retentate addition, total solid levels and heat treatments on quality improvement of buffalo milk plain set yoghurt. Journal of food science and technology, 55(5), 1648-1655.|
|13.||Munirathnamma, V., Gupta, V.K., Meena, G.S. (2017). Effect of different extraction processes on the recovery of ghee residue proteins, Indian Journal of Animal Science, 87, 366-372.|
|14.||Munirathnamma, V., Gupta, V.K., Meena, G.S. (2017). Process optimization for the production of ghee residue protein hydrolysates, The Indian journal of Animal Sciences 87, 490-494.|
|15.||Meena, G. S., Singh, A. K., Gupta, V. K., Jayswal, D., Parmar, P. T., & Gupta, H. R. (2017). Estimating cost for production of soluble milk protein concentrate70 (MPC 70). Indian Journal of Dairy Science, 70(3), 342-350.|
|16.||Shrimali, R. B., Meena, G. S., Gupta, V. K., Khetra, Y., & Raghu, H. V. (2015). Studies on selection of cooking techniques for economic manufacture of Kheer Mohan from buffalo milk. Indian J Dairy Sci, 68(5), 453-457.|
|17.||Meena, G. S., Gupta, V. K., Khetra, Y., Raghu, H. V., & Parmar, P. T. (2015). Fuzzy logic (Similarity Analysis) modelling for sensory evaluation of the market samples of Kheer Mohan. Indian Journal of Dairy Science, 68(4), 326-333.|
|18.||Baghubhai, S. R., Gupta, V. K., &Meena, G. S. (2015). Process optimization for the manufacture of Kheer Mohan employing Response Surface Methodology. Indian Journal of Dairy Science,68 (6), 543-551.|
|19.||Meena, P. K., Gupta, V. K., Meena, G. S.,Raju, P. N., & Parmar, P. T. (2015). Application of ultrafiltration technique for the quality improvement of dahi. Journal of food science and technology, 52(12), 7974-7983.|
|20.||Meena, G. S., Gupta, V. K., Khetra, Y., Raghu, H. V., &Khurana, S. (2014). Characterization of market kheermohan. Indian J. Dairy Sci, 67( 5) :1-7.|
|1.||Singh, A. K., Borad, S., Meena, G. S., Sharma, H., & Arora, S. (2019). High-pressure processing of Milk and Milk products, In Non-thermal Processing of Foods, 1st Edition by O. P. Chauhan, CRC Press, pp 69-88.|
|Review articles (Number)|
|1.||Meena, G. S., Singh, A. K., Panjagari, N. R., & Arora, S. (2017). Milk protein concentrates: opportunities and challenges. Journal of food science and technology, 54(10), 3010-3024.|
|Editorials/ Popular articles|
|1.||Meena, G.S. (2020). Milk Protein Concentrates: High Protein Innovative Dairy Ingredient.Dairy in India, year book 2020,pp|
|2.||Meena, G.S.,&Hussain, S. A. (2020). Kheer-Mohan: A Chhana Based Traditional Indian Sweet. Dairy in India, year book 2020,pp|
|3.||Vashisht, P., &Meena, G. S., (2018). Ghee Residue: Processing and Utilization in Food and Non-Food Applications, Indian Dairyman, October issue, pp: 50-54.|
|4.||Patil, A. T., Meena, G. S.,Upadhyay, N., & Singh, A. K. (2017). Milk protein Concentrates- Their Applications. Indian Dairyman, September issue, pp 44-48.|
|5.||Meena, G.S., Singh, A.K., Borad, S.G., Kumar, N.& Parmar, P.T. (2016). Application of Membrane Processing for Production of Innovative Dairy Ingredients. Beverage & Food World, 43 (7):43-46.|
|6.||Parmar, P., Meena, G. S.,Singh, A. K. & Kumar, N. (2015). Potential applications of ohmic heating in liquid foods processing. Beverage and Food World (August Issue), 42, (8):32-34.|
|7.||Meena, G.S., Gupta, V.K., Khetra, Y., & Raghu, H.V. (2015). Kheer Mohan- An Indigenous Unique Sweet of Rajasthan. Beverage And Food World, 42, (4): 45-47.|
- Under NAHEP Project, I have undergone a 5 months overseas research training. I have worked with Dr Alan L Kelly, Professor, School of Food and Nutritional Sciences, University College Cork (UCC), Cork, Ireland, from June 04, 2019 to November 01, 2019.