Dr Diwas Pradhan
Dr Diwas Pradhan
Dairy Microbiology Division, ICAR-NDRI, Karnal
Current Research Area
Bacterial metabolites and Biopreservation; Antimicrobial resistance in Food bacteria; Probiotics
- B.Tech.(Dairy Technology)
- M. Tech.(Dairy Microbiology)
- Ph.D (Dairy Microbiology)
Major Research Accomplishments:
- Development of antifungal formulation based on Lactic acid bacteria metabolites for application in traditional dairy sweetmeats.
- Identification of major spoilage fungi by ITS region sequencing in Traditional dairy sweetmeats burfi, sandesh and paneer.
- Determination of antibiotic resistance profile of indigenous Lactococci from the dairy niche.
- International travel award by ISAPP-SFA for participating in the International Scientific Association for Probiotics and Probiotics – Students and Fellows Association (ISAPP-SFA) annual meeting, 2019 in Antwerp, Belgium on May 14-16, 2019.
- AMI- Dr. Rana Memorial Best Poster Award along with a citation and cash prize on Dec.12, 2018 at University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad.
- Best poster (second) award for the poster entitled “Prevalence of Antibiotic Resistance in Dairy Lactococci” in the 44th Dairy Industry Conference at ICAR-NDRI, Karnal on February 18-20, 2016.
- Best poster (fourth) award for the Hindi poster entitled “Antimicrobial resistance in Food Chain” during Rajbhasa Hindi Ullas Mass on 30.09.2019 in ICAR-NDRI.
- Consolation prize for the Hindi poster entitled “Antimicrobial activity of different preservatives in milk system” during Hindi Chetna Diwas on 20.09.2017 in ICAR-NDRI.
- ICAR-SRF Fellowship for the Doctoral degree (2011-14).
- FOCARS training, Jan. 1-Mar. 31, 2014, NAARM, Rajendra Nagar, Hyderabad
- Undergone 3 months training on “Microencapsulation of bioactive compounds for its controlled release” at CIPHET, Ludhiana (Punjab) from 12th May- 11th, 2014
- Participated in Winter School on ‘Whole genome analysis and functional “Omics” technologies for future designer milk food, ‘from 28th – 17th Nov., 2014 at NDRI, Karnal.
- Two days workshop on “AMR Workshop for Veterinarian Microbiologists” from 5-6th August, 2016 at Microbiology Division, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh
- 5 days training on ‘Off-campus Programme on Competency Enhancement for Efficiency and Effectiveness at Workplace for Faculty and Scientists of ICAR-NDRI’ organized by ICAR-National Academy of Agricultural Research Management, Rajendranagar, Hyderabad from 25 – 30 May, 2017, at ICAR-NDRI, Karnal.
- National workshop on Structural and Functional Bioinformatics’ held on March 28-29, 2019 at ABTC, NDRI, Karnal.
Patents, Technology, Methodology, Genetic Stock, Variety, etc.:
- Patent filed (as a co-inventor) for “Formulation of new preservative as an alternative to formalin for chemical analysis of milk and milk products” to Indian Patent Office (Patent application no. is 201911032383).
- 4 Gene Bank Submissions (Accession No. JX294495, JX294496, JX294497 and JX294498) of partial sequences of Lactococcus lactis lactis 16S rRNA gene.
- 12 Gene Bank Submissions (Accession No. MN023017-28) of partial sequences 16S rRNA gene of Lactic acid bacteria (Lactobacillus fermentum, L. salivarius, L. plantarum, W. cibaria, Pediococcus pentosus, Enterococcus faecalis).
- Diwas Pradhan, Mallappa, R. H., and Grover, S. (2019). Comprehensive Approaches for Assessing the Safety of Probiotic Bacteria. Food Control, 106872.
- Diwas Pradhan, Rajbir Singh, Ashish Tyagi, H.M.Rashmi, V.K.Batish and Sunita Grover. (2019). Assessing safety of Lactobacillus plantarum MTCC 5690 and Lactobacillus fermentum MTCC 5689 using in vitro approaches and an in vivo murine model, Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology, 101:1-11.
- Diwas Pradhan, Rajbir Singh, Ashish Tyagi, Rashmi H.M., V.K. Batish and Sunita Grover (2018). Assessing the safety and efficacy of Lactobacillus plantarum MTCC 5690 and Lactobacillus fermentum MTCC 5689 in colitis mouse model”. Probiotics and antimicrobial proteins.
- Rashmi HM, Devender K Singh, Namita Rokhana, Diwas Pradhan, Virender Batish and Sunita Grover. (2019). Screening and selection of probiotic Lactobacillus strains of Indian gut origin based on assessment of desired probiotic attributes combined with principal component and heatmap analysis. LWT-Food Science and Technology. 105: 272-281.
- Goyal, C., Malik, R. K., & Pradhan, D. (2018). Purification and characterization of a broad spectrum bacteriocin produced by a selected Lactococcus lactis strain 63 isolated from Indian dairy products. Journal of food science and technology, 55(9), 3683-3692.
- Singh, A., Pradhan, D. and Goyal, C. (2017). Characterization of Antibiotic Resistance in Dairy Lactococci. Indian Journal of Dairy Science, 70 (3): 322-328
- Pradhan, D. and Singh, RS. (2017). Isolation and Characterization of Predominant Lactococci from ‘O’ type Mixed Strain Starters. Indian Journal of Dairy Science, 70 (6): 726-733
- Pradhan, D., Goyal, C., Malik, R., & Narsaiah, K. (2018). Efficacy of alginate: Nanoliposome encapsulated pediocin against innocua in milk system. International Journal of Chemical Studies, 6(1), 1371-1376.
- Bumbadiya, M., Singh, R., Pradhan, D., Mann, B., & Arora, S. (2017). Screening of different novel preservatives for milk Preservation by microbial analysis. International Journal of Chemical Studies, 5(4), 673-677.
- Zahid Bashir Khanday, Prince Cauhan, Dipak Dey, Raman Malik, Diwas Pradhan and Chhaya Goyal. (2018). A review on fermentation quality of paddy straw silage. Journal of Entomology and Zoology Studies, 6(5): 1184-1887.
- Diwas Pradhan, Nirmal Kumar, Priya Singh and Pooja Gujjar. (2019). Antagonistic Activity of Lactobacillus reuteri Strains Isolated from Different Niches against Food Bacteria and its potential application along with Nisin in Milk System. Indian Journal of Dairy Science, 72 (5).