Dr D.K. Mandal
Dr D.K. Mandal
Eastern Regional Station, Kalyani, Nadia, West Bengal 741235
Email: Eastern Regional Station, Kalyani, Nadia, West Bengal 741235 Qualifications:Qualifications:
Current Research Area
- Ph.D. in Livestock Production and Management at National Dairy Research Institute, Karnal, Haryana
- M. Sc (Dairying) in Livestock Production and Management at National Dairy Research Institute, Karnal, Haryana
- B. V. Sc & A H, Bidhan Chandra Krishi Viswavidyalaya, Mohanpur, West Bengal
Major Research Accomplishments
- National Merit scholarship for B. V. Sc & AH.
- Indian Council of Agricultural Research-Junior Research Fellowship for M. Sc
- Indian Council of Agricultural Research- Senior Research Fellowship for Ph D.
- Conference awards (Best research paper oral presentation etc.) – 2
- Application of Cryopreservation of Germplasm for Improving Productivity of Dairy Buffaloes from 1-21 June 2001, held at Central Institute for Research on Buffaloes, Hisar, Haryana.
- Optimum Breeding Plans for Genetic Improvement of Farm Animals- held at National Dairy research Institute, Karnal, Haryana from 15 January to 4 February, 2004.
- Training on Animal welfare- held at the National Institute of Animal Welfare (NIAW), under the Ministry of Environment and Forest, Ballabgarh, Haryana from 30-1-2006 to 3-02-06.
- Training on Frozen Semen Technology- held at the Sabarmati Ashrama Gaushala, Bidaj, Gujarat from 22 -03-2006 to 11-04-2006.
- Data mining and GIS for decision support in Agriculture- held at Indian Institute of Management, Lucknow, 16-27 February, 2009.
- Data analysis using SAS- held at Indian Agricultural Statistics Research Institute, New Delhi, 25-30 October 2010.
Patents, Technology, Methodology, Genetic Stock, Variety, etc.:
- Contributed towards development of ‘Frieswal’ cattle
- Contributed for development of selection criteria of crossbred (Frieswal) bulls based on their spermiogram, breed combination, testicular characteristics etc.
- Developed equation for stress assessment of dummy used in semen collection
- Developed empirical formula for prediction of testicular weight in HF crossbred bulls
- Elucidated some genetic basis of inferior semen quality in crossbred bulls
- Established body conformation characteristics and breed descriptive features of Frieswal crossbred bulls
- Development of comfortable shelter for bull housing
- Assessment of Frieswal/other HF crosses & their adoption under field conditions through progeny testing
- Published 50 research papers in national and international journals, 18 popular/scientific articles, 20 invited lectures, 5 TV talks, one book and 10 Book Chapter/Training or Teaching manual/Booklet etc.