Dr. Battula Surendra Nath
Dr. Battula Surendra Nath
Dairy Chemistry and Bacteriology Section, ICAR-National Dairy Research Institute, SRS Adugodi, Bangalore – 560 030 Karnataka. Telephone No.:080-25710661 – 664
Current Research Area
Milk lipids, millet and milk based foods, digenous dairy products, pesticide residues.
- Ph.D (Dairy Chemistry)
Major Research Accomplishments
- Milk was fortified with omega 3 fatty acids, phytosterols and soluble fibre.
- Desired texture in ghee was obtained through selective fractionation and blending.
- Concentrated and lactose hydrolysed whey was utilized in the preparation of dairy beverages and bakery products.
- Heat and Mass transfer studies in gulab jamun and pantoa during frying and soaking.
- Utilization of natural/naturally sourced antioxidants in ghee.
- Laljee Godhoo Smarak Nidhi Award for outstanding Contribution in Dairy Processing (1993),Association of Food Scientists and Technologists (I)
- Outstanding Interdisciplinary Team Research (1) 2007- 2008; ICAR, New Delhi
- Outstanding Interdisciplinary Team Research (2) 2007- 2008; ICAR, New Delhi
- Best Papers – 8 Nos
- Best Presentations – 4 Nos
- Lead Auditor: ISO:9000:2000; International Auditor and Training Certification Association, United Kingdom
- Lead Auditor: ISO:22000:2005; Indian Register of Shipping, Mumbai
- MIS Training; National Dairy Research Institute, Karnal
Patents, Technology, Methodology, Genetic Stock, Variety, etc.:
- Transfer of Technology – 2 Nos.
- Variation in Grainy Texture of Commercial Ghee in Relation to Laboratory Ghee and its Blends (2012) CR Rachana, B.Surendra Nath, MV Reshma and C.Armughan International Journal of Dairy Technology 66: 90 -97; DOI/10.1111/idt2013.66
- Preparation and characterization of milk protein films and their application for packaging of Cheddar cheese (2013) Y.R. Wagh, Heartwin A. Pushpadass, F. Magdaline Eljeeva Emerald and B. Surendra Nath Journal of Food Science and Technology. DOI 10.1007/s13197-012-0916-4
- Prediction of shelf-life of gulabjamun mix using simulation and mathematical modeling –Based on moisture gain (2013) Heartwin A. Pushpadass, Magdaline Eljeeva Emerald, F., K.J.Rao, B.Surendra Nath and Chaturvedi, B. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation. DOI: 10.1111/jfpp.12111.
- Analysis of transient heat and mass transfer during deep-fat frying of pantoa (2014) Neethu, K.C., Magdaline E.E.F., Heartwin A. Pushpadass, Menon, R.R, Jayaraj Rao, K. and Surendra Nath, B. Journal of food processing and preservation. DOI: 10.1111/jfpp.12310
- Heat and mass transfer during deep-fat frying of gulabjamun (2014) Magdaline E.E.F., Heartwin A.P., Menon R.R, Jayaraj Rao, K. and Surendra Nath, B Journal of Food Processing and Preservation, DOI: 10.1111/jfpp.12168
- Extended shelf life flavoured dairy drink using dissolved carbon dioxide (2014)Menon Rekha R, K. Jayaraj Rao, B. Surendra Nath and Chand Ram Journal of Food Science and Technology, 51: 130 – 135
- Carbonated fermented dairy drink – effect on quality and shelf life (2014) Menon Rekha Ravindra, K. Jayaraj Rao, B. Surendra Nath and Chand Ram Journal of Food Science and Technology, 51: 3397 – 3403
- Use of Novel Lactic Acid Bacterial Strains with Antagonistic Activity for the Preparation of Safe Indigenous Fermented Dairy Foods (dahi and raita) S.Varalakshmi, BV Balasubramanyam, B.Surendra Nath, M.Bhagath and D.Rajendran Journal of Food Safety, doi:10.1111/jfs.12091, 34: 26-33
- Crystallization of Milk Fat and its Importance in the Texture of Dairy Products – A Review (2008) CR Rachana and B.Surendra Nath Indian Journal of Dairy Science, 61; 408-422
- Chemical Contaminants: Pesticide Residues in Milk and Organic Dairy Farming (2010) BK Wadhwa, S Arora, V Sharma, B Surenda Nath, M Puniya and A Chhabra Indian Dairyman, 62; 90 – 94
- Ghee – Product with 30% MUFA and numerous nutritive properties (2013) B.Surendra Nath and Satish Kulkarni Food & Beverage News, 5; 17-19
- Beta Glucan as a Functional Ingredient in Dairy Foods (2013) N.Veena and B.Surendra Nath Indian Journal of Dairy Science, 66; 461-468
- Pantoa – An Indigenous Dairy Delicacy (2014) K.C.Neethu, F.Magdaline Eljeeva Emerald, P.Heartwin Amaladhas, Rekha Ravindra Menon, K.Jayaraj Rao and B.Surendra Nath Beverge and Food World 41; 39-40
- Edible coatings for extending shelf-life of paneer (2015) Heartwin A.Pushpadass, Vineesh John, F.Magdaline Eljeeva Emerald, B.Surendra Nath and Satish Kulkarni