Dairy Cattle Physiology Division, ICAR-NDRI, Karnal
Current Research Area
Environmental & stress Physiology/ Climate Change / shelter Physiology Behaviour Physiology
- M.Sc.(Animal Production Physiology)
- Ph. D.( Animal Production Physiology)
Major Research Accomplishments:
- Climatic effects on various Physiological and Behavioural parameters of Marwari , Magra Malpura, Gaddi Synthetic and Bharat Merino sheep during different seasons were studied under arid, semi arid and sub temperate conditions.
- Accomplished Behavioural and Physiological performance studies of migratory sheep at migration point in the hilly track of North India.
- Relationship between environmental parameters and calves sex ratio in different breeds of cattle and buffaloes during different months.
- The annual rhythmicity in reproduction in cattle and buffaloes.
- Effect of environmental parameters on cattle and buffalo productivity.
- Developed a modified ELISA method to estimate HSP-70 in stored plasma samples of different breeds of cattle.
Relationship between Heat Shock Protein (HSP-70) and the Physiological States In Zebu And Cross-Bred Cattle at different environmental conditions
- Developed Multi purpose cage system to popularise back yard rabbitry in hill states.
Guidance to student:
- The Kisan Utthan Award for Outstanding Contributions in Livestock Improvement for the period 2000-2005 for significant and outstanding contributions in livestock management in hill regions of Himachal Pradesh. The award carries a Certificate, Citation, Plaque and a cash award of Fifty One Thousand rupees only
- “First Prize” awarded to the Research Paper entitled “ Jalvauon Parivartan Ka Pashuon Ke Dugdh Utpadan Per Parbhav” Presented During Poster Presentation Competition held at NDRI, Karnal from September 14-30, 2007 (Hindi Pakhwada).
- Summer school organized by College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, CSK HPKV, Palampur (H.P.) w.e.f. September 02-22, 2002
- “ADVANCES IN STRUCTURE AND FUNCTION OF PRODUCTIVE AND REPRODUCTIVE BEHAVIOUR OF ANIMALS AT HIGH ALTITUDE”
- Winter school organized by College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, PAU, Ludhiana, w.e.f. 21st November-11th December 2003.
- “ Technical Advances in Livestock and Poultry Production and Management – Specific Reference to Rural Development ”
Patents, Technology, Methodology, Genetic Stock, Variety, etc.:
- Threshold ranges of ambient temperature (thermo neutral zones) for Indian cattle(Tharparkar and Sahiwal, Zebu crosses (Karan Fries and Karan Swiss) and buffaloes beyond which stress initiated.
- Developed methodology for alleviation of thermal stress.
- Temperature Humidity Index (THI) were calculated for different locations of country and based on these values different THI zones were developed on Map Of India.
- Developed a simplify methodology to monitor methane emission from fresh dung of cattle and buffaloes to estimate the otal emissions from dung.
- Working on the aspects of Impact, Adaptation and Vulnerability of Indian Dairy production system to Climate Change.
- Working on different aspects of Adaptation and facilitation of impending climatic changes in livestock through shelter management.
- The modified coal furnaces were designed for calf housing system which significantly decreased the calf mortality during winter season.
- Ashutosh; Dhanda,O.P. and Kundu,R.L.(2001) Effect of climate on Seasonal Endocrine Profile of Native and crossbred sheep under semi arid conditions. Tropical Animal Health and Production. 33 (3) : 241-252
- Ashutosh; Dhanda,O.P. and Singh, G. (2002) Changes in Grazing Behaviour of Native and Crossbred Sheep in Different Seasons Under semi arid conditions. Tropical Animal Health and Production. 34 (5) : 399-404
- Ashutosh; Dhanda,O.P. and Kundu,R.L.(2000) Physiological responses of native and crossbred sheep to climatic stress under semi arid conditions. Indian Journal of Animal Sciences.70 (8) : 789-791
- Banerjee,D. and Ashutosh (2010) Effect of thermal exposure on diurnal rythms of physiological parameters and feed,water intake in Tharparkar and Karan Fries heifers. Biological Rhythm Research U.K. (Accepted).
- Banerjee,D. and Ashutosh (2010) Circadian changes in physiological responses and blood ionized sodium & potassium concentrations under thermal exposure in Tharparkar and Karan Fries heifers. Biological Rhythm Research, U.K. (Accepted).
- Upadhyay, R.C.;Rani, Rita; Asharaf, Syma; Ashutosh; Singh, S.V., Somvanshi, SPS and Kumar, A (2010). The Effect of Climate Change on Buffalo Milk Production. Revista Veterinaris Vol 21 (Supplement 1) : 256-258
- R.C. Upadhyay, S.K. Gupta, A. Kumar, S.V. Singh and Ashutosh (2008) The contribution of draught animals to methane emission in India. Draught Animal News 46 (Part 1): 29-36.
- Upadhyay R.C; Singh, S.V; Kumar, A; Gupta, S.K. and Ashutosh (2007) Impact of climate change on milk production of murrah buffaloes. Italian Journal of Animal Science 6 (Suppl. 2): 1329-1322.
- Anjali Aggarwal, Parveen Kumar and Ashutosh. 2010. A Review on Cooling Systems for Cows and Buffaloes During Summer. Indian J. Dairy Sci. (In Press)
- Aggarwal, A., Ashutosh, Mani, V., Parveen Kumar and Kaur, H. (2008). Status of antioxidant enzymes, related minerals and total immunoglobulins during periparturient period in cows. Ind. J. Anim. Nutri. 25 (3): 235-239.