The Division has strong experience and capacity to conduct research in inter-disciplines of dairy economics, statistics and management. In the past, followings have been the broad areas of research:
- Economics of dairy production, processing and marketing
- Technology impact assessment and project appraisal of dairy development program
- Climate Change, risk and vulnerability issues in dairy development
- Demand, supply and price analysis of dairy products
- Globalization and trade in dairy
- Statistical studies and application of soft-computing in decision support system
The research in the Division is conducted by the learned faculty by proposing research projects on current issues and by guiding the post-graduate students in their research for dissertation. The funding of research projects proposed by the faculty may be internal (Institutional) or external (sponsored by agencies other than ICAR). With following outside agencies, the Division has developed strong academic and research linkage.
- National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD)
- National Dairy Development Board (NDDB)
- National Innovations in Climate Resilient Agriculture (NICRA)
- Department of Animal Husbandry and Dairying, GoI, New Delhi
- National Institute of Agriculture Marketing (NIAM)
- National Institute of Agricultural Economics and Policy Research (NIAP)
- Dr V. Kurien Centre of Excellence, Institute of Rural Management, Anand
- International Food Policy and Research Institute, (IFPRI), South Asia Centre, New Delhi
- International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI), South Asia Office, New Delhi
- State Agriculture Universities
- International Farm Comparison Network (IFCN)
- National Statistical Office (NSO), Ministry of Statistics & Programme Implementation
The research conducted by students contributes significantly in overall research outcome of the Division. The students of both master and doctoral degree are involved in research on important topics decided in consultation with faculty, as partial fulfillment of their degree program and results are submitted in the form of thesis. Some of the broad topics of students’ research have been as mentioned below.
- Vulnerability of dairy farmers to risk and climate change
- Estimating cost of milk production and processing
- Consumption pattern and consumer preferences for milk and milk products (MMPs)
- Role of various institutions (SHGs, Cooperatives, finance and insurance) in dairy development
- Impact evaluation of Anionic Mineral Mixture Supplementation on milk production and the milk fever
- Effect of public research Investment on livestock sector productivity
- Economic losses due to clinical mastitis and reproductive disorders
- Estimation of subsidy in crop and livestock sector
- Dynamics of milk production and sustainability assessment of commercial dairy farms
- Production risk and adaptation strategies for climate change in dairy farm households
In order to conduct research, the modern techniques and models are used. The Division has pan-India mandate and hence, the research studies address issues of dairy production, processing and marketing across state. The studies are also taken to analyze international trade and developments in the field of dairying.
Outcome of the research is published in the form of research articles in national and international referred research journals, popular articles, book chapters and bulletins. Some of the recent publications of the Division in referred journals are as following:
- Bhandari G. and Chandel, B.S. (2020) Socio-economic determinants of breed choice- A case of Sahiwal vs. crossbred in India. Int. J. Curr. Microbiol. App. Sci. 9(1): 1427-1437.
- Kumari, B., Chandel, B.S. and Lal, P. (2020) Profit efficiency among dairy farms in the Eastern region of India. Indian Journal of Economics and Development 10(1): 97-103.
- Kathayat B.; Lal P. and Dixit A.K. (2020) Has the consumption pattern changed? An overview of livestock products. Indian Journal of Economics and Development 16(2s): 312-317.
- Cariappa A.G. and Chandel, B.S. (2020) Why are the pepper prices declining? An analysis of changing production and trade scenario in India. Journal of Plantation Crops 48(1): 60-69.
- Thakur A.; Dixit A.K. and Ravishankara K.M. (2020) Economic analysis of informal dairy processing units in Karnal district of Haryana. Indian J. Dairy Sci. 73(2): 151-154.
- Kumari B.; Chandel B.S., Malhotra R., Kumari T. and Lal P. (2020) Profit efficiency of women dairy farmers in Begusrai district of Bihar. Indian Journal of Economics and Development 16(2s): 472-476.
- Acharya K.K. and Malhotra, R. (2020) Economic analysis of milk production in peri-urban dairy farms of Odisha. Indian J. Dairy Sci. 73(2): 155-159.
- Balaganesh G.; Malhotra R., Sendhil R., Sirohi S., Maiti S., Ponnusamy K. and Sharma A.K. (2020) Development of composite vulnerability index and district level mapping of climate change induced draught in Tamilnadu. Ecological indicators 113: 1-11.
- Singh, Shyam Prakash and Chandel, B.S. (2020) Constraints faced by the dairy farmers and agencies involved in livestock insurance in Haryana, India. Agricultural Science Digest 40(1): 95-99.
- Chandel, B.S.; Dixit, A.K.; Singh, Ajmer and Devi, Asha (2020) Economic analysis of the impact of COVID-19 lockdown on Indian Dairy Sector. Agricultural Situation in India, LXXVII(08): 21-27