Dr. RAGHU H. V.
Dr. RAGHU H. V.
Scientist (Senior Scale)
Dairy Microbiology/ National Referral Centre
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org /Raghu.V@icar.gov.in /Raghu.email@example.com
Current Research Area
Microbial Biosensors, Food Safety and Quality Assurance, National Referral Lab
- D. in Dairy Microbiology
- Sc./M.Tech Dairy Microbiology
- B.Tech (Dairy Technology)
Major Research Accomplishments
- Surface Plasmon Resonance (SPR) method for the detection of Listeria monocytogenes was optimized using Wheat germ agglutinin (WGA) lectin with a detection sensitivity of 3.0 log cfu/ 100µl in buffer and milk system, respectively.
- Developed SPR has shown minimum false positive and negative reaction with other G+Ve and G-ve bacteria with the detection time of around 20-30 min, respectively.
- Protocol for synthesis of Polyaniline-pectin conducting polymer particles was optimized and the particles were characterized using FT-IT and particle size analyser using Zeta-size analyser
- A paper strip based assay has been developed using PANI-PEC particles immobilized paper strips for the detection of coli and coliform in milk using newly developed ECS medium and CSM, respectively with the a detection limit of 0.5 log cfu/100 µl within a time period of 10 ½ hrs
- A paper strip based assay has been developed using PANI-PEC particles immobilized paper strips for the detection of total microbial load in milk in milk using newly optimized medium with a detection sensitivity in the range of 0.5 to 8.5 log cfu/ 100ul and with a detection of time of 5-6 hrs using newly optimized broth medium.
- Surveillance of antibiotic resistance coli in milk supply chain was undertaken in our lab and E.coli isolates have shown resistance towards cefepime, gentamicin, erythromycin, trimethoprim, chloramphenicol, ciprofloxacin, tetracycline and 4 among these isolates have shown resistance to ESBL antibiotics (harboring the CTX-M gene).
- Protocol for the synthesis of magnetic molecularly imprinted polymers based on iron magnetite encapsulated polymer of methacrylate (monomer) and ethylene-glycol-dimethacrylate (monomer-cross-linker) for selective extraction of captan pesticide from natural sample.
- Magnetic molecularly imprinted polymer mediated enzyme inhibition based microtiter assay for the detection of Captan pesticide has been developed with a LOD of 0.1 ppb and 88.61±0.22% recovery of captan pesticide in water samples.
- Selected for overseas training programme under IDP-NAHEP project funded by World Bank and Govt. of India for the year 2018-19 at Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, US.
- National Eligibility Test award (2009) for lectureship /assistant professorship in the State Agricultural Universities
- Certificate awarded as the Associate Contributor in the successful development of the content of the e-course Fat Rich Dairy Products under the NAIP compenent-1 sub-project “Development of e-Course for B. Tech (Dairy Technology) Degree Programme” during 2009-12.
- Certificate awarded as the Associate Contributor in the successful development of the content of the e-course Microbiological Quality Safety in Dairy Industry under the NAIP compenent-1 sub-project “Development of e-Course for B. Tech (Dairy Technology) Degree Programme” during 2009-12.
- Assistant editor for Dairy Foods International, An official journal of Dairy Technology of India, NNDRI, Karnal. Vol. 1. Issues 1. Jan-June 2011.
- Thakur G, Kumar N, Raghu H V and Balhara M (2012). A novel micro technique and media for selective enumeration and detection of Enterococci in milk (FQ-05). Awarded FIRST prize at the XXI ICFOST ON Innovations in food science and Technology to fuel the growth of the Indian food industry organized during 20-21st January, 2012 at Pune, India.
- Naresh Kumar N., Kalyan A., Balhara M., Kadyan S., Sharma P. K., Shukla R. & Raghu, H. V. (2016). Enzyme Based Concept for Rapid Detection of Hygiene and Safety Indicators in Milk. (QA-035). Awarded best poster during 44th DIC conference 2016 held at NDRI, Karnal.
- Kumar S., Raghu H V., Kumar N., Singh N A. and Malik R. K. were awarded “Best Paper Award” (First best paper award of Rs. 5000.00 published in the “Dairy Processing Area” in the Indian Journal of Dairy Science for the calendar year 2013) for the paper entitled “Spore based chromogenic assay for detection of β-lactam antibiotic in milk” during 43rdDairy Industry Conference on held on 21stFebruary, 2015 in the Science City, Kolkata. The award carried a cash prize of Rs. 5,000 and a citation.
- Awarded “2nd Best Poster Award for the poster entitled “Expression of marker enzymes during spore’s germination for novel application in assay development” by Tehri, N., Gopaul, R., Kumar, N., Raghu H.V., Yadav, A., Thakur, G., Sharma, P.K. (2015) at 12thAgriculture Science Congress (ASC), Karnal on 3-6thFeb 2015 under the area of Food safety and quality management.
- Kumar N., Khan A., Arora S., Raghu H V., and Shaikh S. (2014). Best poster award on the topic “Spore germination based kit for detection of antibiotic residues in milk” conferred during 7th National seminar organized by NGA and ICAR-NDRI on 20th Sep 2014 at NDRI, Karnal.
- Certificate received from NITS, Noida for successful completion of training programme on ISO 17025: 2005 Laboratory Quality management system organized by NITS (BIS), Noida during 20-23 rd Feb 2018
- Received first prize in Poster Presentation at 47th Dairy Industry Conference 2019 on topic “Conducting polymer strip based sensor for the detection of Escherichia coli in milk” under Food security, Quality safety and regulatory aspects category at Patna. Dr. Raghu H V., Scientist (Senior Scale), Dairy Microbiology Division received an appreciation certificate from Director, ICAR-NDRI Karnal for his active participation/contribution in preparation of Project proposal “Institutional Development Plan (IDP) of NDRI under the National Agriculture Higher Education project (NAHEP) of ICAR jointly funded by World Bank and Govt. of India.
- Raghu H V., Scientist (Senior Scale), Dairy Microbiology Division received an appreciation certificate from Director, ICAR-NDRI Karnal for his active participation/contribution in the preparation of ICAR’s Agricultural Universities Ranking Report-2017.
- Raghu H V., Scientist (Senior Scale), Dairy Microbiology Division received an appreciation certificate from Head, Dairy Microbiology Division, ICAR-NDRI Karnal for his participation in the presentation on “5S principle” activity during “Swachhata Hi Sewa Pakhwada” under Swachh Bharat Abhiyan from 15 Dec to 2nd Oct 2018 organized by Dairy Microbiology Division, ICAR-NDRI, Karnal.
- Best poster award on the topic “Spore germination based kit for detection of antibiotic residues in milk” Best poster award conferred during 7th National seminar organized by NGA and ICAR-NDRI on 20th Sep 2014 at NDRI, Karnal.
- Second Best Poster Award for the poster entitled “Expression of marker enzymes during spore’s germination for novel application in assay development” at 12th Agriculture Science Congress (ASC), Karnal on 3-6th Feb 2015 under the area of Food safety and quality management.
- Overseas training on “Molecular method development to improve food safety and public health” at Molecular food microbiology Laboratory, Food science Department, Purdue University as visiting scholar under Dr. Arun Kumar Bhunia, Professor during 29 April to 28th Sep 2019 under IDP of National Agriculture Higher Education project funded by World bank and ICAR, Govt. of India.
- Lead Auditor Training course on Food safety Management System as per ISO 22000:2005 at Bangalore, India (No. IRS/FSM/2012/04/02/05 of 17)
- Faculty training on Advances in processing and Quality Assurance of Dairy Foods held on 22nd Mar – 11th Apr 2011 at Dairy Microbiology Division.
- ISO 9001: 2015 Quality Management system internal auditor training at ICAR-NDRI, Karnal.
Patents, Technology, Methodology, Genetic Stock, Variety, etc.
- Kumar Naresh, Kaur Gurpreet, Thakur Geetika, Raghu H V., Singh Namita Ashish, Raghav Nishu And Singh Vinai Kumar (2015). Real time detection of Enterococci in dairy foods using spore germination based bioassay. Patent Reg # IPR 119/DEL/2012 – Published in Indian patent Journal No. – 19/2015 dated 08/05/2015.
- Balhara M., Naresh Kumar, Thakur G., Raghu H V., Kumar V., Ramakant Lawaniya, Alia Khan and Shabnam (2015). Two Stage Enzyme Assay for Detection of Listeria monocytogenes In Milk Products. Patent published and Examination awaited (2/02/2015) Patent # 1357/DEL/2013. Journal No. 50/2014 dated 2014/12/12.
- Naresh Kumar, Ramakant Lawaniya, Avinash, Bhawna Arora, Raghu H.V., Mandeep Balhara, Saurabh Kadyan, Vinai Kumar Singh (2014). “Spore-sensor for rapid detection of coli in milk employing marker enzymes and marker sugar as germinants”. Patent: Reg # IPR 2214/DEL/2014. Patent Journal 7/2016 dated 2016/02/12.
- Naresh Kumar, Alia Khan, Falguni Patra, Minakshi Dahiya, Shivani Arora, Mandeep Balhara, Pradeep Kumar Sharma, Raghu H.V. and Suleman Shaikh (2014). Patent entitled “Development of Enzyme-Spore based assay (s) for monitoring antibiotic residues in milk” Patent: Reg # IPR 2213/DEL/2014. Patent Journal 7/2016 dated 2016/02/12.
- Naresh Kumar, Nimisha Tehri, Rajesh Gopaul, Pradeep Kumar Sharma, Briejsh Kumar, Spurthi Morab and Raghu H V. (2015). Rapid spore enzyme based miniaturized assay (s) for detection of pesticide residues. Indian Patent Reg. No. 3819/ DEL/ 2015. Patent Journal 21/2017 dated 26/05/2017.
- Singh, Namita Ashish, Naresh Kumar, H. V. Raghu, Sunil Bhand, Sudhir Chandra, and Pradeep Kumar Sharma. (2019). A spore-based miniaturized novel assay for rapid aflatoxin detection in milk.” Environmental Chemistry Letters 17, no. 2 (2019): 1097-1103.
- Borad, S.G., Singh, A.K., Meena, G.S. and Raghu, H.V., 2019. Storage related changes in spray dried colostrum preparations. LWT, p.108719.
- Manimaran, A., Raghu, H.V., Kumaresan, A., Sreela, L., Yadav, A., Layek, S.S., Mooventhan, P., Chand, S., Sarkar, S.N. and Sivaram, M., 2019. Oxytetracycline is more suitable antibiotic for clinical endometritis cows. Indian Journal of Animal Sciences, 89(5), pp.501-505.
- Sukthija, Vivek Sharma, Sumit Arora, Richa Singh, Raghu HV and PN Raju (2019). Evaluation of reversed-phase thin layer chromatographic protocol to detect vegetable oil/fat in milk. Indian J Dairy Sci 72(4): 370-374
- Tehri, N., Kumar, N., Raghu, H.V., Thakur, G. and Sharma, P.K., 2017. Role of stereospecific nature of germinants in Bacillus megaterium spores germination. 3 Biotech, 7(4), p.259.
- Raghu, H., Kumar, N., Arya, K.M. and Sharma, P., 2017. Screening of Lectins for Specific Detection of Listeria Monocytogenes. Journal of Microbiology & Experimentation, 5.
- Singh, V. K., Singh, N. A., Raghu, H. V., Kumar, N., Singh, K. P., Sharma, P. K., & Raghav, N. (2016). Fluorescence‐Based Detection of Aflatoxin M1 in Milk using Immobilized Spores. Journal of Food Safety. 36: 145-152. Accepted in 2016.
- Meena, G.S., Gupta, V.K., Khetra, Y., Raghu, H.V. and Parmar, P.T., 2015. Fuzzy logic (Similarity Analysis) modelling for sensory evaluation of the market samples of Kheer Mohan. Indian Journal of Dairy Science, 68(4).
- R Lawaniya, M Balhara, A Khan, B Arora, N Kumar, Avinash, PK Sharma, HV Raghu and RK Malik (2015). Screening of commercial enrichment media for selective growth of coli. Indian Journal of Dairy Science 68 (1)
- Shrimali, R.B., Meena, G.S., Gupta, V.K., Khetra, Y. and Raghu, H.V., 2015. Studies on selection of cooking techniques for economic manufacture of Kheer Mohan from buffalo milk. Indian J Dairy Sci, 68(5), pp.453-457.
- Singh, V. K., N. A. Singh, N. Kumar, H. V. Raghu, Pradeep Kumar Sharma, K. P. Singh, and Avinash Yadav. “Spore immobilization and its analytical performance for monitoring of aflatoxin M1 in milk.” Canadian journal of microbiology 60, no. 12 (2014): 793-798.
- Das, S., Kumar, N., Vishweswaraiah, R. H., Haldar, L., Gaare, M., Singh, V. K., & Puniya, A. K. (2014). Microbial based assay for specific detection of ß-lactam group of antibiotics in milk. Journal of food science and technology, 51(6), 1161-1166.
- Ganga Sahay Meena, Vijay Kumar Gupta, Yogesh Khetra, H.V. Raghu, Sakshi Khurana (2014). Characterization of market Kheer Mohan. Indian Journal of Dairy Science. 08/2014; 67(5).
- Kumar, S., H. Raghu, N. Kumar, N. A. Singh, and R. K. Malik. (2014). “Spore based chromogenic assay for detection of β-lactam antibiotic in milk.” Indian Journal of Dairy Science 66 (6): 504-517.
- Mandeep Balhara, Ramakant Lawaniya, Naresh Kumar, H. V. Raghu, Shabnam Kouser, Pradip Kumar Sharma and R.K Malik (2014). Assessment of enrichment broths for their ability to recover Listeria monocytogenes from spiked milk. Indian Journal of Dairy Science 68 (1)