Dr. Sumit Arora
Dr. Sumit Arora
Dairy Chemistry Division, NDRI, Karnal
Email: Email:firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Current Research Area
Artificial sweeteners and Functional foods
- M.Sc (Dairy Chemistry) from National Dairy Research Institute (Deemed University) in 1993 with 73.0/Ist Gold medallist
- Ph.D (Dairy Chemistry) from National Dairy Research Institute (Deemed University) 1996 75.6/Ist
Major Research Accomplishments
- Gold medal in 1993 for topping M.Sc (Dairy Chemistry) at NDRI (Deemed University).
- Best paper award for the paper entitled ”Effect of chemical phosphorylation of water, oil and calcium binding properties of buffalo milk proteins” published in the Dairy Processing area of the Indian Journal of Dairy Science, 2005.
- Best poster award for the poster entitled “Stability of Aspartame in burfi” presented in the XXXV Dairy Industry Conference, 23-25th Nov, 2006 at Kolkata organised by IDA (EZ).
- Second Best poster award for the poster entitled “Development of reduced calorie cholesterol free processed mozzarella cheese” presented in the National Seminar on Prospects and challenges of manufacturing organic indigenous milk products for export market. 26-27th Nov, 2006 at Kolkata organised by DTSI and ERS of NDRI, Kalyani , West Bengal.
- Best poster award for the poster entitled ”Stability of Aspartame in Lassi and Flavoured milk during storage”. Presented in the XXXVI Dairy Industry Conference, 19-21st Feb, 2008 at BHU Varanasi organised by IDA (NZ).
- Best poster award for the poster entitled ”Multiple Sweeteners In Lassi – A Sweet Approach”. Presented in the National Seminar on “Food Value of Milk” at Mumbai from 24 – 25th Nov, 2008 organised by DTSI.
- Availed the Erasmus Mundus Grant as Visiting Professor for teaching and research guidance to the International students of food science and nutrition at Dublin Institute of technology, Ireland and other consortium partner viz. Belgium under European Union’s programme from 9th Feb to 9th April 2009.
- Dr. K.K. Iya Award (2003 – 2007 & 2004 – 2008) by the Alumni association NDRI for outstanding contribution in Dairy Processing research. Presented in the ninth convocation of NDRI Deemed University held on 19th Feb 2011 at NDRI auditorium, Karnal.
- Second Best poster award for the paper entitled “Effect of processing treatments on the polyphenol content of pearl millet.” Presented in the National Seminar on “Emerging trends in food science and technology”, 12th Nov, 2011 at Chandigarh, organised by Department of Food science, MCM DAV College for Women, Chandigarh
- 3. Best poster award for the poster entitled “Effect of herb extract (Pueraria tuberosa/vidarikand) incorporation on storage stability of ghee (clarified butter fat)”. Presented in the International Conference on Functional Dairy Foods, November 16-19, 2011
- Best poster award for the poster entitled Effect of low- cholesterol ghee feeding on plasma cholesterol profile of rats. Presented in the International Conference on Functional Dairy Foods, November 16-19, 2011
- 5. Best paper award for the paper entitled “Processing interventions to improve the nutritive value of pearl millet.”, presented in the National Seminar on Transfer of Biotechnology for sustainable Development & Environment protection, sponsored by UGC-CRO ( Bhopal) held from Jan, 21st to 22nd , 2012 at Govt. College, Aron, Dist. Guna (MP).
- 6. First prize for oral presentation for the paper entitled “Effect of addition of shatavri in milk on functional, immunomodulatory and antioxidative properties.” Presented in the National conference on “Current status and recent advances in medicinal and aromatic plant research”, 10th to 11th Feb 2012 at Gandhi Medical college hospital, Mushirabad, Hyderabad
- Appreciation certificate received for Masters research by Ms Chitra for her work on “Development and evaluation of microencapsulated iron fortified yoghurt” under my guidance during the 12th convocation of NDRI on 14th Feb 2014
- Appreciation certificate received for Doctoral research by Ravinder Kaushik for his work on “Development and evaluation of vitamin D and calcium fortified milk” under my guidance during the 12th convocation of NDRI on 14th Feb 2014
- 9. Conferred the fellowship of the National Academy of Dairy Science (India) on 26th May 2014 at NDRI, Karnal
- Attended the 57 th Foundation course for Agricultural Research Service held from 28.08.96 to 25.01.97 at National Academy of Agricultural Research Management (NAARM). Rajendranagar, Hyderabad – 500 030.
- Attended the winter school on recent developments in Fermentation of milk held from 6th-29th Nov 2000 at College of Dairy Sci & Technol, Mannuthy, Kerala Agricultural University.Kerala.
- Attended the XII Refresher course on “Total Quality Management in Dairy Processing” from 1.3.2001 to 30.3.2001 organized by Centre of Advanced Studies, Dairy Technology Division, NDRI Karnal.
Patents, Technology, Methodology, Genetic Stock, Variety, etc.:
- Patent for Process for Coconut Cream Filled Gouda Cheese by Sharma, G.S.; Mangalika, U.L.P.; Arora, S and Kanawjia, S. The patent has been filed at Patent office, New Delhi and application has been accorded #2737/DEL/2006 dated 20.12.2006
- Patent for Process for Spray Dried Non-Dairy Coffee Whitener by Nayak, S. K; Sindhu, J.S, Arora, S, Sangwan, R.B and Sharma G.S. The patent has been filed at Patent office, New Delhi and application has been accorded #1125/DEL/2005 dated 04.05.2005
- Patent for “Process For Calcium Enrichment Of Buffalo Milk” by Arora, S; Sharma, G.S; Sindhu, J.S; Kansal, V.K and Singh, A.K. The patent has been filed at Patent office, New Delhi and application has been accorded #2735/DEL/2006 dated 20.12.2006
- Suman Kapila, Laxmi Narayan Jabadolia, Ajay Kumar Dang, Rajeev Kapila and Sumit Arora (2009). Augmentation of biofunctional properties of whey protein on fermentation with Lactobacillus helveticus. Milchwissenschaft. 64(3): 245–248.
- Arora, S; Singh VP, Sharma V, Wadhwa BK, George V, Singh AK and Sharma GS (2009) Analysis of sucralose and its storage stability in burfi. J. Food Sci. & Technol. 46(2): 114–117
- Singh, Ashish Kumar; Tiwari Shikha; Singh, R. R. B; Tyagi, R.K; Arora, Sumit (2008). Development of malted Milk Beverage Using Response Surface Methodology. International Journal of Dairy Technology 61(2):192-198
- Arora, S; Gawande, H; Narendra, K; Yarrakula, S; Singh, V. P; Sharma, V; Wadhwa, B. K; Tomer, S. K and Sharma, G.S. (2008). Textural and structural properties of kalakand made with artificial sweeteners saccharin, acesulfame–k, sucralose and aspartame. J. Food Sci. & Technology 45(3): 263–266
- Arora, S; Narendra, K; Gawande, H; Yarrakula, S; Sharma, V; Wadhwa, B. K; George, V and Sharma, G.S. (2008). Stability of artificial sweeteners saccharin, acesulfame-k and aspartame in flavoured milk. Indian J. Dairy Sci. 61(5): 335-341
- Arora, S; Singh, V. P; Yarrakula, S; Gawande, H; Narendra, K; Sharma, V; Wadhwa, B. K; Tomer, S. K and Sharma, G.S. (2007). Textural and micro structural properties of burfi made with artificial sweeteners. J. Texture Studies 38 (4):684 – 697.
- Singh, G; Arora, S; Sharma, G.S; Sindhu, J.S; Kansal, V.K and Sangwan, R. B. (2007). Heat stability and calcium bioavailability of calcium fortified milk. LWT – Food science and technology, 40(4):625 – 631.
- Nayak, S. K; Arora, S; Sindhu, J.S and Sangwan, R.B (2006) Effect of Chemical Phosphorylation on solubility of buffalo milk proteins. Int. Dairy J. 16(3): 268-273.
- Ranjan, P; Arora, S; Sharma, G.S; Sindhu, J.S; Kansal, V.K and Sangwan, R.B (2005). Bioavailability of calcium and Physico chemical properties of calcium fortified buffalo milk. Int .J. Dairy Technology 58(3):185-189.
- Arora, S; Ranjan, P; Sharma, G.S; Sindhu, J.S; Singh, G and Kansal, V.K. (2005). Effect of calcium fortification on heat stability and physico – chemical properties of mixed milk (cow and buffalo 1:1). Indian J. Dairy Sci. 58(4):242-246.