Dr. Suman Kapila
Dr. Suman Kapila
Division of Animal Biochemistry, ICAR-NDRI, Karnal. Haryana
Current Research Area
- B.Sc. Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra
- M.Sc. National Dairy Research Institute, Karnal
- Ph.D. National Dairy Research Institute, Karnal
Faculty in the Department of Animal Biochemistry at NDRI, Karnal.
I am a biochemist studying the health benefits of milk, fermented milk, probiotics and nutraceuticals of milk origin. Recent and current projects include assessing the osteoanabolic effect of milk derived bioactive peptides through in-vitro as well as in-vivo assays. Also involved in bioavailability studies related to bioactive peptides and protein-vitamin complex.
Classes that I teach include AB-614 (Food and Nutritional Biochemistry), AB-623 (Immunochemistry ), AB-621 (Intermediary Metabolism), AB-714( Biomembranes) .
- Awarded Best teacher Award for teaching at PG level in 14th convocation held at NDRI on March 5, 2016.
- Awarded Bio Nutra Senior Award during the National conference on Bioactive Compounds and Functional Foods in Health and Disease Management from 15th -16th November, 2013 held at NIFTEM, Kundli, Sonepat.
- Awarded certificate of appreciation for outstanding contribution in teaching at PG level for the year 2012- 2013 at 11th convocation of NDRI Deemed University held on 16th February, 2013.
- International training to USA Under NAIP,2010
- 25 years of Research and Teaching Experience
- Guided 12 M.V.Sc / M.Sc and 13 Ph.D students including 2 International students
- Three months Overseas training on bioavailability of Iron using Caco-2 cells
- 20 years of working experience in the area of Functional foods, Probiotics and Nutraceuticals specifically bioactive peptides. Actively involved in validation studies for establishing the efficacy and safety of nutraceuticals and new dairy products by carrying out in-vitro and in–vivo
Members of the Societies
- Life member, Society of Biological Chemist (India)
- Life member, Society for Conservation of Domestic Animal Diversity
- Life member, Indian Immunology Society.
- Life member, Dairy Technology Society of India.
- Life member, Indian Science Congress Association
- Life member, Probiotic Association of India
Number of Publications: 130 International papers: 110 Book Chapters: 10
Patents: 2 (applied)
- Kaur, T., John, A.A., Sharma, C., Vashisht, N.K., Singh, D., Kapila, R. and Kapila, S.(2021). miR300 intervenes Smad3/β-catenin/RunX2 crosstalk for therapy with an alternate function as indicative biomarker in osteoporosis. Bone 143, 115603 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bone.2020.115603
- Kumar, R., Mada, S.B., Reddi, S., Kaur, T., Kapila, R. and Kapila, S.(2021) Comparative evaluation of the protective effects cow, buffalo and goat milk in glucocorticoid-induced bone alterations in mice. International Journal of Dairy Technology.DOI: 1111/1471-0307.12770
- Upadhyay, D., Kaur, T., Kapila, R. and Kapila, S.(2020) Repertoire of Structure Activity-Based Novel Modified Peptides Elicits Enhanced Osteogenic Potential. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry DOI: 10.1021/acs.jafc.0c03385
- Devi, S.,Pal, G.K., Kapila, R. and Kapila, S. (2020). C-terminal sequence deletion effect on antioxidative characteristics of VLPVPQK bioactive peptide from buffalo milk casein. LWT-Food Science and Technology 119, DOI: 1016/j.lwt.2019.108816
- Kumar, N., Devi, S., Mada, S.B., Reddi, S., Kapila, R. and Kapila, S. (2020). Anti-apoptotic effect of buffalo milk casein derived bioactive peptide by directing Nrf2 regulation in starving fibroblasts. Food Bioscience, 35 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fbio.2020.100566
- Rana, S., Bhawal, S.,Kumari, A., Kapila, S. and Kapila, R. (2020). pH-dependent inhibition of AHL-mediated quorum sensing by cell-free supernatant of lactic acid bacteria in Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Microbial pathogenesis 142, 104105
- Samtiya, M., Bhat, M.I., Gupta, T., Kapila, S., Kapila, R.,(2020). Safety Assessment of Potential Probiotic Lactobacillus fermentum 6 MTCC-5898 in Murine Model after Repetitive Dose for 28 Days 7 (Sub-Acute Exposure) Probiotics and Antimicrobial Proteins https://doi.org/10.1007/s12602-019-09529-6.
- Bhat, M.I., Kapila, S. and Kapila,R. (2020). Lactobacillus fermentum (MTCC-5898) supplementation renders prophylactic action against Escherichia coli impaired intestinal barrier function through tight junction modulation LWT-Food Science and Technology 123, DOI: 1016/j.lwt.2020.109118
- Lule, V.K.,Tomar, S.K.,Chawla, P., Pophaly, S., Kapila, S. and Arora, S.(2020). Bioavailability assessment of zinc enriched lactobacillus biomass in a human colon carcinoma cell line (Caco-2) Food Chemistry. 309, DOI: 1016/j.foodchem.2019.12558
- Shilpa Shree, B.G., Arora,S., Kapila, S. and Sharma, V. (2020) Whey protein-iron or zinc complexation decreases pro-oxidant activity of iron and increases iron and zinc bioavailability. LWT, DOI: 1016/j.lwt.2020.109287
- Kumar, S., Devi, S., Sood, S., Kapila, S., Narayan, K., Shandilya, S.(2019) Antibiotic resistance and virulence genes in nisin-resistant Enterococcus faecalis isolated from raw buffalo milk modulate the innate functions of rat macrophages. Journal of applied Microbiology. doi.org/10.1111/jam.14343
- Yadav, R., Vij, R., Kapila, S., Khan, S.H., Kumar, N., Meena, S., Kapila, R. (2019).Milk fermented with probiotic strains Lactobacillus rhamnosusMTCC: 5957 and Lactobacillus rhamnosus MTCC: 5897 ameliorates the diet-induced hypercholesterolemia in rats. Annals of Microbiology,1-12
- Rana, S., Arora, S., Gupta, C. and Kapila, S. (2019) Effect of sodium caseinate and vitamin A complexation on bioaccessibility and bioavailability of vitamin A in Caco-2 cells. Food Research International https:// doi. org/10.1016/j.foodres.2019.01.019.
- Kumar, N., Reddi, S., Devi, S., Mada, S.B., Kapila, R. and Kapila,S.(2019).Nrf2 dependent anti-aging effect of milk derived bioactive peptide in old fibroblasts Journal of Cellular Biochemistry 120 (6), 9677-9691 DOI: 10.1002/jcb.28246
- Borad, S.G., Singh, A.K., Kapila, S., Behare ,P., Arora, S.and Sabikhi L (2019).Influence of unit operations on immunoglobulins and thermal stability of colostrum fractions. International Dairy Journal .93:85-91.
- Sowmya, K., Bhat, M.I., Bajaj, R.K., Kapila, S., Kapila, R. (2019). Buffalo Milk casein derived Decapeptide (YQEPVLGPVR) having bifunctional anti-inflammatory and antioxidative features under cellular milieu. International Journal of Peptide Research and Therapeutics.1-12
- Bhat,M.I., Sowmya , K.,Kapila,S. & Kapila, R. (2019). Escherichia coli K12: An evolving opportunistic commensal gut microbe distorts barrier integrity in human intestinal cells.Microbial pathogenesis, 103545.
- Hussain, S.A., Yadav, V., Reddi,S., Patil, G.R., Singh, R.R. B., Kapila,S. (2019). Thermal processing conditions affect in vitro immunostimulatory activity of Aloe vera juice. Journal of Applied Research on Medicinal and Aromatic Plants https://doi.org /10.1016 /j.jarmap .2018.11.002
- Bhat,M.I., Kumari,A., Kapila,S. & Kapila, R. (2019) Probiotic lactobacilli mediated changes in global epigenetic signatures of human intestinal epithelial cells during Escherichia coli challenge. Annals of Microbiology. https:// doi.org/10.1007/s13213-019-01451-
- Sowmya, K., Bhat, M.I., Bajaj, R.K., Kapila, S., Kapila, R. (2019). Antioxidative and anti-inﬂammatory potential with trans-epithelial transport of a buﬀalo casein-derived hexapeptide (YFYPQL). Food Bioscience 28 (2019) 151–163
- Reddi,, Shanmugam, V.P., Tanedjeu, K.S., Kapila, S. and Kapila, R. (2018). Effect of buffalo casein derived novel bioactive peptides on osteoblast differentiation. European Journal of Nutrition 57(2):593-605.
- M., Kapila, S., Kapila, R., Trivedi, R. and Karvande,A (2018) Evaluation of the osteoprotective potential of whey derived-antioxidative (YVEEL) and angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitory (YLLF) bioactive peptides in ovariectomised rats. Food and Function. 9 (9), 4791-4801.
- M., Kapila, R and Kapila,S. (2018) Osteoanabolic activity of whey-derived anti-oxidative (MHIRL and YVEEL) and angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitory (YLLF, ALPMHIR, IPA and WLAHK) bioactivepeptides. Peptides 99:1-7.
- Sowmya, K., Devmala, Bhat, M.I.,Kumar,N., Bajaj, R.K.,, Kapila, S., Kapila, R. (2018).Bio-accessible milk casein derived tripeptide (LLY) mediates overlapping anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidative effects under cellular (Caco-2) and in vivo Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry 62: 167-180.
- Shilpa Shree, B.G., Arora,S., Kapila,S. and Sharma, V. (2018) Physicochemical characterization of mineral (iron/zinc) bound caseinate and their mineral uptake in Caco-2 cells. Food Chemistry 257, 101-111.
- Kalyan,S., Meena, S., Kapila, S., Sowmya, K., Kumar,R.(2018).Evaluation of goat milk fat and goat milk casein fraction for anti-hypercholesterolaemic and antioxidative properties in hypercholesterolaemic rats. International Dairy Journal. 84:23-27.
- Yadav,R., Dey, D.,Vij, R., Meena, S., Kapila, R., and Kapila,S. (2018). Evaluation of anti-diabetic attributes of Lactobacillus rhamnosus MTCC: 5957, Lactobacillus rhamnosus MTCC: 5897 and Lactobacillus fermentum MTCC: 5898 in streptozotocin induced diabetic rats. Microbial Pathogenesis 125:454-462
- Yadav,R., Khan, S.H.,Mada, S.B.,Meena, S., Kapila, R., and Kapila,S. (2018). Consumption of Probiotic Lactobacillus fermentum MTCC:5898- Fermented Milk Attenuates Dyslipidemia, Oxidative Stress,and Inflammation in Male Rats Fed on Cholesterol-Enriched Diet. Probiotics and Antimicrobial Proteins 11(2):509-518. https://doi. org/10.1007/ s12602-018-9429-4
- Mada, S.B., Reddi, S., Kumar, N., Vij, R., Yadav, R., Kapila S., Kapila, R., (2018). Casein-derived antioxidative peptide prevents oxidative stress-induced dysfunction in osteoblast cells. Pharmanutrition 6:169-179
- Sheikh,A.A., Hooda, O.K., Kalyan, A., Kamboj, A., Mohammed, S., Alhussien, M, Kapila,S…(2018).Interferon –tau stimulated gene expression: a proxy to predict embryonic mortality in diary cows.Theriogenology 120, 61-67
- Reddi, S., Mada, S.B.,Kumar, N., Kumar, R., Ahmad, N., Karvande, A., Kapila S., Kapila, R., Trivedi, R. (2018). Antiosteopenic Effect of Buffalo Milk Casein-Derived Peptide(NAVPITPTL) in Ovariectomized Rats. International Journal of Peptide Research and Therapeutics 1-12.
- Mohan, J.,SA Ali,S.A., Suvartan, R., Kapila,S., Sharma,R., Tomar,S.K., Behare, P.and Yadav ,H.(2018). Bioavailability of biotransformed zinc enriched dahi in witsar rats. International Journal of Probiotics & Prebiotics 13
- Mada, S.B., Reddi, S., Kumar, N., Kumar, R., Kapila S., Kapila, R., Trivedi, R. (2017). Antioxidative peptide from milk exhibits anti-osteopenic effects through inhibition of oxidative damage and bone-resorbing cytokines in ovariectomized rats. Nutrition. 43-44:21-31.
- Mada, S.B., Reddi, S., Naveen, Kapila S. and Kapila R. (2017).Protective effects of casein derived peptide VLPVPQK against hydrogen peroxide-induced dysfunction and cellular oxidative damage in osteoblastic cell. Human and Experimental Toxicology. 36 (9), 967-980
- Garg, S., Singh, T.P., Reddi, S., Malik, R.K. and Kapila, S. (2017) Intervention of probiotics reuteri fermented milk as an adjuvant to combat protein energy mal-nourishment induced gut disturbances in albino mice. Journal of Functional Foods.36:467-479.
- Singh,T., Kaur, G.,Malik, R., Kapila,S. (2017). Antagonistic activity of Lactobacillus reuteri strains on the adhesion characteristics of selected pathogens. Frontiers in Microbiology, https://doi.org/ 10.3389/ fmicb. 2017.00486 8:486.
- Pophaly, S.D., Poonam, Pophaly, S.D., Kapila, S., Nanda, D.K., Tomar, R.S. and Singh, (2017).Glutathione biosynthesis and activity of dependent enzymes in food grade lactic acid bacteria harboring multidomain bifunctional fusion gene (gsh). Journal of Applied Microbiology.
- Saliganti,V., Kapila,R., Kapila,S., and Bhat, M.I .(2017). Probiotics in the modulation of maternal–infant immunity: Implications for allergic diseases. Food Reviews International 33: (5), 516–537.
- Sharma,A., Shree S. B.G., Arora,S. and Kapila,S. (2017). Preparation of lactose-iron complex and its cyto-toxicity, in-vitro digestion and bioacessabiity in caco-2 model system. Food Bioscience. 20: 125-130.
- Lamba, H., Aggarwal, Sabikhi, L.,Reddi,S.,Kapila, R., Kapila, S.(2017). Double emulsion-encapsulated guggul exhibits improved in vivo hypocholesterolemic action in rats. International Journal of Food Science and Technology. 53 (3): 626-633
- Yadav,V., Singh, R.R.B., Hussain,S.A. and Kapila, S. (2017). Immunomodulatory effects of oral administration of Aloe Vera Supplemented Probiotic ice cream. Indian Journal of Dairy Science.70 (1), 89-95.
- Meena, K .K., Kapila, S., Chand, R., Kumawat, D.K. and Verma,G.(2017). Speciifc immune response of oral administration of Dahi and milk fermented with Lactobacillus helveticus against Salmonella enteritidis in mice.Indian Journal of Dairy Science (4), 404-410
Research Projects Handled as PI/CCPI/Co-PI:
- Valorization of industrially soybean and groundnut de-oiled meals/cakes by extraction, purification and production of protein isolates (NASF, 2018-2021) as CCPI
- Development of Immunomodulatory Exopolysaccharide containing healthy Fermented Dairy Food. (MOFPI, 2018-2021) as Co-PI
- Evaluation of osteogenic potential of milk derived bioactive peptides in osteoporosis model (ICAR-NDRI, 2017-2020) as PI
- Role of probiotic lactobacilli in modulation of intestinal epithelium mediated barrier functions and immune signals (DBT, 2016-2019) as Co-PI
- Preparation Characterization and application of vitamin A and D loaded milk protein nano-complexes (DBT, 2016-2019) as Co-PI
- Technology of Heart Friendly Herbal-Milk Smoothie with Prophylactic Effects against CVD and Associated Risks (MOFPI, 2016-2019) as Co-PI
- Evaluation of Osteogenic peptides from buffalo milk (ICAR-NDRI, 2014-2017) as PI
- Mineral bound milk based ingredients: preparation, characterization and application (DBT, 2013-2015) as Co-PI
- Production of buffalo casein hydrolysates enriched with antioxidative and immunomodulatory peptides and their application for the development of functional beverage (DST, 2013-2015) as Co-PI
- Applications of probiotics in alleviating allergic responses and immunosenescence (DBT,2011-2014) as Co-PI