Dr. Smita Sirohi
Dr. Smita Sirohi
Principal Scientist (on deputation)
Dairy Economics, Statistics and Management Division, National Dairy Research Institute, Karnal-132001, Haryana (INDIA)
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Current Research Area
Climate-change and policy issues, sustainability assessment, international trade aspects, dairy industry, infrastructure and rural development, employment and poverty
- M.A. Economics, Delhi School of Economics, Delhi.
- Ph.D. Economics, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi.
Major Research Accomplishments:
Impact Assessment of Agricultural Research and Development (ongoing): ICAR Network Project.
Assessing Sustainability of Smallholder Dairy Production System in Under-developed Production Environments (ongoing): Institutional.
National Initiative on Climate Resilient Agriculture (ongoing): Externally funded.
Costs and returns in Milk Production: Developing Standardized Methodology and Estimates for Various Dairy Production Systems in India (completed): Dept. Of Animal Husbandry, Dairying and Fisheries, Govt. of India.
Performance Appraisal of Dairy Products Manufacturing Enterprises in India: Sapio-teporal Analysis (completed): Institutional.
US Dairy Support Programmes (completed): Trade Policy Division, Ministry of Commerce, Govt. of India.
- ES-611 Micro Economics Theory and Applications (2+0)
- ES- 623 Econometrics (2+2)
- ES-712 Advanced Econometrics (2+1)
- M.Sc.: 8 (completed) + 2 (enrolled)
- Ph.D.: 2 (completed) + 5 (enrolled)
- First Best Paper Award for Paper published in Indian Journal of Dairy Science (2009), Indian Dairy Association, N.Delhi.
- Guest Researcher Fellowship (2004) awarded by International Climate Policy Division of Hamburg Institute of International Economics, Hamburg, Germany.
- Member Expert Committee (Agriculture/Sericulture/Horticulture) Major Research projects, University Grants Commission.
- Member Expert Committee Commonwealth Fellowships, University Grants Commission.
- Member of Planning Commission sub-group Credit and Livestock Insurance, XII Plan Working Group on Animal Husbandry and Dairying
- NAIP National Training Programme on “Climate Resilient Livestock and Production System” held at NDRI, Karnal, from 18th Nov.-1st Dec., 2013.
- Indian Institute of Foreign Trade: Capacity Building Programme on “Enhancing Competitiveness of Agricultural/dairy exports from Haryana” on 14-16th March, 2012.
- Winter School on “Dairy Entrepreneurship Development for Economic and Social Change” from 10-30 Nov., 2010.
Patents, Technology, Methodology, Genetic Stock, Variety, etc.:
- Pioneering attempt in developing the concept of carbon trading from dairy sector in India and issue of baseline, additionality and sustainable development for potential CDM projects in the sector.
- Devised practical methodology in consonance with IPCC Tier II approach but based only on information on feeding of dairy animals, for computation of enteric methane emissions.
- Construction of Sustainable Dairy Farming Index for assessing sustainability of dairy farming at house hold level encompassing economic, social and ecological dimensions.
- Developed Web-enabled user friendly software Milk Production Economic Analysis Package (MILKEcAP-1.0) for the estimation of economics of milk production of local cattle, crossbred cows and buffaloes.
- PREM CHAND and SIROHI SMITA (2013). Sustainability of dairy breeding practices: empirical evidences of semi-arid eastern zone of Rajasthan. Research Journal of Animal Husbandry and Dairy Science, 4(3), 47-50.
- PREM CHAND, SIROHI SMITA and SIROHI, S.K. (2013). Production and Demand Estimates of Livestock Feed and Fodder in Rajasthan. Indian Journal of Animal Nutrition, 30(2), 149-156.
- PREM CHAND and SIROHI SMITA (2012). District level Sustainable Livestock Production Index: Tool for Livestock Development Planning in Rajasthan. Indian Journal of Agricultural Economics, 67(2), 199-212.
- PREM CHAND and SIROHI SMITA (2012). Dairying in Semi-Arid Eastern Plain Zone of Rajasthan: Input Productivity and Net Returns. Indian Journal of Dairy Science, 65(1), 79-83.
- PREM CHAND, SIROHI SMITA and SIROHI, S.K. (2011). Using Sustainable Livestock Production Index for Development of Livestock Sector: case of arid region in India. Journal of Applied Animal Research, 39:3, 234-238
- SIROHI SMITA and RAKA SAXENA (2012). Research and Development Priorities for Sustainable Milk Production in Karnataka. Indian Journal of Animal Sciences 82 (2): 209–215.
- THORAT, VISHAL and SIROHI SMITA (2013). Reviewing Demand-Supply Balance of Foodgrains by 2020. Journal of Resources, Energy and Development, 10(1), 1-10.
- ZADEH, MASSOUMEH N., SIROHI SMITA MONDAL BITAN AND SAXENA RAKA (2013). Strengthening Bilateral Trade relations between India and Iran: Opportunities in Livestock Sector. Journal of Resources, Energy and Development, 10(1), 39-50.
- SINGH, SOHAN VIR, UPADHYAY, R.C. SIROHI SMITA and SINGH A.K. (eds.) (2013) . Climate Resilient Livestock and Production System. Dairy Cattle Physiology Division, NDRI, Karnal 132001. 286p.
- SIROHI SMITA, PANDEY DIVYA, SINGH S.V., BANSOD S. AND UPADHYAY, R.C. (2013). Water Footprint of Cattle and Buffalo Milk Production. In Climate Resilient Livestock and Production System (S.V. Singh, R.C. Upadhyay, Smita Sirohi and A.K.Singh (eds.) NDRI, Karnal, p 207-216.