Dr Shilpa Vij
Dr Shilpa Vij
Dairy Microbiology Division, ICAR-NDRI, Karnal
Current Research Area
Bioactive proteins & peptides, Biopreservation, Probiotic Lactobacillus, Whey Utilization
- PhD Dairying Dairy Microbiology, 1995, ICAR-National Dairy Research Institute
- Sc. Dairying (Quality control) 1987, ICAR-National Dairy Research Institute
- Sc. 1984, Kurukshetra University (KUK).
My lab is Functional Fermented Foods and Bioactive Peptides Lab. Our lab is actively engaged in the research and development of functional fermented foods and bioprocessing of whey into value-added products. Processes have been standardized for various probiotic fermented dairy and non-dairy foods and whey based products. The technologies have been developed for biofunctional synbiotic fruit yoghurts, soy-based yoghurt, soy dahi and whey based functional probiotic beverages. The laboratory is also engaged in the production of antimicrobial bioactive peptides from milk protein like whey and casein, and also from soy proteins and biopreservation of dairy products. Besides, the laboratory is also involved in the research project on the production of bioethanol from whey using stress tolerant yeasts. The research on food safety aspect has also been initiated.
- Whey to Biofuel: Bioethanol Production by Stress Tolerant and Metabolically Engineered Yeast from Whey 2011-13
- Production of antimicrobial bioactive peptides from bovine and non-bovine milk by microbial fermentation and simulated gastrointestinal digestion for development of functional ingredients 2015-2018
- Production of Antimicrobial Bioactive Peptides from Milk Proteins by Proteolytic Lactobacillus2008-2012
- Isolation of antifungal bioactive proteins and peptides derived from milk and their application in biopreservation spp. 2004-2008
- Micro-encapsulation Methods For Bacteriocins for their Controlled Release 2011-15
- Development of Bacteriocin Based Anti Microbial Packaging (AMP) System for Enhanced Food Safety 2008-2010
- Development of biofunctional ingredients by enzymatic modification of whey protein concentrates. 2007-2009
- Preparation of Micro/nano Emulsion for the Encapsulation of Bioactive Components. 2011-2013
Major Research Accomplishments
- Developed a process for the production of bioethanol from whey by stress tolerant yeasts.
- Developed a method for the production of antimicrobial bioactive peptides from whey and casein.
- Developed a process for control release of an antimicrobial substance by microencapsulation.
- Developed a process for the production of bioethanol from by metabolic engineering of yeast.
- Developed a process for co-immobilization of yeast and enzyme for ethanol production from whey.
- Isolated antifungal bioactive proteins and peptides derived from milk and their application in biopreservation.
- Development of concentrated inoculum of lactic cultures and its packaging in the flexible sachet for the preparation of fermented dairy products.
- Development of bacteriocin based antimicrobial packaging (AMP) system for enhanced food safety.
- Production and characterization of proteinaceous antifungal substances (AFS) from Lactobacillus spp.
- Preservation of paneer by antifungal substances of Lactobacillus and antimicrobial proteins.
- Antimicrobial activity of casein fermentate of probiotic Lactobacillu spp.
- Courses DM 321, DM615, DM626, FS614,DM712,DM721, DM723
Guidance to Students (M.Sc and Ph.D.) :
- Associate fellow award NADSI, 2018
- Best Paper Award – in Indian J. Dairy Science in 2010 at XL Dairy Industry Conference organized by Indian Dairy Association in New Delhi.
- Best Paper award at XIL Dairy Industry Conference organized by Indian Dairy Association in Chennai from 12-14th 2013
- Best Poster award – at XL Dairy Industry Conference organized by Indian Dairy Association in New Delhi.
- Best Poster award – at National Symposium on Emerging Trends in Biotechnology organized by Dept. of Biotechnology, MMM College, Patiala, Punjab
- Best Poster award (3rdPrize) in International Conference on Food Technology: Impact on Nutrition and Health, Sponsored by ICMR, DST, and DBT.
- Best Poster award (3rdPrize) in International Conference on Food Technology: Impact on Nutrition and Health, at New Delhi on December 23-24, 2013 at Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
- Best poster award (2ndplace) on Physiological growth profile of the dairy yeast Kluyveromyces marxianus 6C17 on galactose during batch cultivation in 44th Dairy industry conference held at ICAR, NDRI, Karnal during 18-20 Feb 2016.
- Best Poster Award in National Conference on Advances in Food Science and Technology (AFST-2017) held at Eternal University, Baru Sahib, and Himachal Pradesh. (24-25 March 2017).
- Brij Pal Singh, Shilpa Vij(2018) In vitro stability of bioactive peptides derived from fermented soy milk against heat treatment, pH and gastrointestinal enzymes. LWT-Food Science and Technology, 91 303-307.
- Priyanka Saini, Arun Beniwal, Anusha Kokkiligadda, Shilpa Vij(2018) Response and tolerance of yeast to changing environmental stress during ethanol fermentation. Process Biochemistry. 72, 1-12
- Urmila Choudhary, Latha Sabikhi, Shaik Abdul Hussain, Kaushik Khamrui, Vivek Sharma, Shilpa Vij(2018) Stabilizing the primary emulsion with hydrophobic emulsifiers and salt for encapsulating herbal extracts in a double emulsion. J Food Process Preserv. 1 – 9 https://doi.org/10.1111/jfpp.13699
- Bachanti, Prashant; Vij, Shilpa; Patil, M. R.; Bajad, D. N.; Adil, Shaikh; Kalyankar, S. D.(2018)Antimicrobial activity of casein fermentate of probiotic Lactobacillus spp. Asian Journal of Dairy & Food Research., Vol. 37 Issue 3, 175-181. 7p. 2
- Saini P., Beniwal A., and Vij S Evolutionary adaptation of Kluyveromyces marxianus strain for efficient conversion of whey lactose to bioethanol.Process Biochemistry 57 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procbio.2017.07.013
- Saini P., Beniwal A., Kokkiligadda A, and Vij S. 2017. Physiological response of Kluyveromyces marxianusduring oxidative and osmotic stress. Process Biochemistry 56, 21–29.
- Saini P., Beniwal, A., and Vij, S. Comparative analysis of oxidative stress during aging of Kluyveromyces marxianusin synthetic and whey media. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology. 182: 1-14.
- Saini P., Beniwal, A., and Vij, S. Comparative physiology of Kluyveromyces marxianusand Saccharomyces cerevisiae during batch cultivation on glucose as a sole carbon source. Indian Journal of Dairy Science. 70 (3)
- Kokkiligadda, A., Beniwal, A., Saini, P., and Vij, S.(2016). Utilization of Cheese Whey Using Synergistic Immobilization of β-Galactosidase and Saccharomyces cerevisiaeCells in Dual Matrices. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology 179:1469-1484.
- Subrota Hati1, Shilpa Vijand Surajit Mandal (2016) Selection of Lactic Dahi Cultures for the Fermentation of Soy Milk. EC Nutrition 5(5): 1248-1254.
- Deependra Singh, Shilpa Vijand Brij Pal Singh (2016) Antioxidative and antimicrobial activity of whey based fermented soy beverage with curcumin supplementation. Indian Journal of Dairy Science. 69 No. 2; 171-177.
- Shital Borkar, Shilpa Vijand Subrota Hati (2015) Antimicrobial activity of whey fermentate against antibiotic-resistant pathogens. Indian Journal of Dairy Science 68 No. 6, 577-583.
- Bachanti P. R. and Shilpa Vij(2015) Antimicrobial activity of sodium caseinate fermentate of Lactobacillus fermentum NCDC 141.Asian J. Dairy & Food Res, 34(4):265-269
- Priyanka Kumari and Shilpa Vij(2015) Growth and antimicrobial activity of proteolytic probiotic Lactobacillus rhamnosus C6 in soymilk and whey Indian J. Dairy Sci. 68(3), 229-238.
- Brij Pal Singh, Shilpa Vij, Subrota Hati, Deependra Singh, Priyanka Kumari and Jagrani Minj (2015). Antimicrobial activity of bioactive peptides derived from fermentation of soy milk by Lactobacillus plantarum C2 against common foodborne pathogens. International Journal of Fermented Foods: 4(1) p1-9.
- Subrota Hati, Shilpa Vij(2014) Evaluation of Probiotic potentials of cheese isolate plantarum C6. Indian Journal of Dairy Science Vol 67, No 5 413-420
- Narsaiah , Robin A. Wilson , K. Gokul, H.M. Mandge , S.N. Jha, Sheetal Bhadwal, Rahul K. Anurag , R.K. Malik , S. Vij (2014) Effect of bacteriocin-incorporated alginate coating on shelf-life of minimally processed papaya (Carica papaya L.). Postharvest Biology and Technology 100 212–218.
- Vandna, Shilpa Vijand Subrota Hati 2014 Physico-chemical and sensory quality of probiotic fermented whey drinks and its storage study Indian J Dairy Science Vol.67 No.2 132-138.
- Hati S, S Vij,BP Singh, S Mandal 2014 β-Glucosidase activity and bioconversion of isoflavones during fermentation of soymilk. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture first published on 6 June 2014 doi: 10.1002/jsfa.6743
- Subrota Hati, Shilpa Vij, Surajit Mandal and R.K. Malik (2014) α-Galactosidase Activity and Oligosaccharides Utilization by Lactobacilli during Fermentation of Soy Milk. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation (Impact Factor: 0.45). 06/2014; 38(3). DOI: 10.1111/jfpp.12063
- Shilpa Vij,Priyanka Chandra, and Prashant Ramrao Bachanti 2014. Antimicrobial Activity of Casein Fermentate of Probiotic Lactobacillus spp. International Journal of Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology 5, 2, pp. 201-208
- Hati S, Vij Sand Mandal S. 2014. Effect of Antioxidative activity and polyphenol content of fermented soy milk. BIOVED24(2) 225-234
- Brij Pal Singh, Shilpa Vij,Subrota Hati (2014) Review- Functional signiﬁcance of bioactive peptides derived from soybean Peptides 54 (2014) 171–179.
- Subrota Hati, Shilpa Vij, Brij Pal Singh and Surajit Mandal (2014) β- glucosidase activity and Bioconversion of isoflavones during fermentation of soymilk. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture DOI: 10.1002/jsfa.6743
- Vandna, Shilpa Vijand Subrota Hati (2014) Physico-chemical and sensory quality of probiotic fermented whey drinks and its storage study Indian J Dairy Science Vol.67 No.2
- Subrota H., Shilpa V, Brij S., Vandna K. and Surajit M (2013) Antioxidative activity and polyphenol content in fermented soy milk supplemented with WPC-70 by probiotic Lactobacilli International Food Research Journal 20(5): 2125-2131.
- Subrota Hati, Shilpa Vij, Surajit Mandal, R.K. Malik, Vandna Kumari and Yogesh Khetra (2013) α-Galactosidase Activity and Oligosaccharides Utilization by Lactobacilli during Fermentation of Soy Milk. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation37(1): 9 JAN 2013, DOI: 10.1111/jfpp.12063
- Kairam Narsaiah, Robin A Wilson; Harshad M. Mandge; S. N, Jha; R. K. Malik;Shilpa Vij (2013) “Optimization of encapsulation and controlled release of nanoliposome loaded pediocin in alginate-guar gum- pectin matrix” Carbohydrate Polymers
- Shilpa Vij,Shital Borkar, Subrota Hati, Ravinder K Malik, and Gurpreet Kaur (2012) Antibiotics Resistance Pattern of Common Disease-Causing Pathogens. Indian J Dairy Science Vol 65 (1): 47-51
- Yadav D, Vij S, Hati S, Singh BP, Dhanday M, Dahiya M and Vandna (2012) Evaluation Of Total Antioxidant Activity Of Soy Yoghurt. Indian J Dairy Science65(3), 220-224
- Narasaiah K, Jha SN, Wilson RA, Mandge HM, Manikantan MR, Malik RK and Vij S(2012) Pediocin loaded nanoliposomes delivery system for slow release of Pediocin BioNano Sci. DOI 10.1007/s12668-012-0069-y
- Minakshi Dahiya, ShilpaVij (2012). Hydrolysis of whey lactose using CTAB permeabilized thermotolerant yeast cells for subsequent fermentation to bioethanol. International J Advanced Biotechnology and Bioinformatics 1 (1), 65-68.
- Falguni Patra, Shilpa Vijand B. Mann 2010. Production of proteinaceous antifungal substances from Lactobacillus brevis NCDC 02 International J. Dairy Technology Volume 63, 1,70-76.
- Hati, S., Gandhi, D.N. Vij, S.; Mandal, S.and Dahiya, M. 2010 Process optimization of a drinkable acidophilus milk Indian Journal of Dairy Science. (5). 350-357
- Arun Bhardwaj, Hittu Gupta, Suman Kapila, Gurpreet Kaur, Shilpa Vij,Ravinder Kumar Malik 2010. Safety assessment and evaluation of the probiotic potential of bacteriocinogenic Enterococcus faecium KH 24 strain under in vitro and in vivo conditions. International Journal of Food Microbiology .141:156–164,
- Suja Senan, RK Malik &Shilpa Vij (e-Course Book, 2012) Food & Industrial Microbiology
- Arun Beniwal, Priyanka Saini, Jagrani Minj, Shilpa Vij (2018). Enabling System Biology in Yeast for the Production of Advanced Biofuels in Microbial Cell Factories CRC Press eBook ISBN 9781351668057 p 175-191.
- Brij Pal Singh and Shilpa Vij 2015. Potential Health Benefits of Fermented Soy Milk. Scientific India, ISSN: 2349-1418, 3(5): 26.
- Brij Pal Singh, Shilpa Vij, Subrota Hati, Deependra Singh and Bharat Bhushan 2016. Biofunctional Significance of Soybean Based Food Products Dairy and Food Product Technology. ISBN 978-81-7622–358-4, 49-59, BIOTECH BOOKS, Darya Ganj, New Delhi-110002.
- Deepansh Sharma, Arun Beniwal, Priyanka Saini, Shailly Kapil, Shilpa Vij (2018). Engineering Microbial Cell Factories for Improved Whey Fermentation to Produce Bioethanol. in Microbial Cell Factories CRC Press eBook ISBN 9781351668057 p353-370
- Hati S, Vij S,Mandal S, Khamrui K. 2014.Utilization of Soy Oligosaccharides during fermentation by Lactobacilli.Book: Oligosaccharides: Food Source, Biological Roles and Health Implications. Nova Science Publishers, Inc., New York, pp. 233-251
- Jagrani Minj, Priyanka Saini, Shayanti Minj, Arun Beniwal, Deepansh Sharma, Shriya Mehta, Shilpa Vij (2018). Beneficial Effects of Dairy Foods Enriched with Prebiotics and Probiotics. In Microbial Cell Factories CRC Press eBook ISBN 9781351668057 p371-398.
- Minakshi Dahiya,Shilpa Vij and Subrota Hati (2013) Biofuels: Current Trends and Future Prospects in” Dairy and Food Processing IndustryRecent Trends— Part I — “Published by Biotech Books New Delhi – 1 p77.
- Sharma D, Beniwal A Saini P Kapil S, Vij S and Malik RK (2018) Metabolic engineering in yeast for bioethanol production from whey. P-411 in ‘Microbes in Action’. CRC Press.Taylor and Francis, USA.
Manuals (4 NOS.):
- K. Malik, S. Vijand N. Kumar 2009 A Laboratory Manual on: “Microbiology of Processed Dairy Foods”. NDRI Publication No.: 44/2009 Total Pages:100
- Shilpa Vij, K. Malik, and A. K. Puniya2010 Dairy Biotechnology- A laboratory manual NDRI Publication No.: 59/2010 Total Pages:116.
- Shilpa Vij2008 “Microbial Physiology”- A Laboratory Manual NDRI Publication no.36/2008., Karnal Intech Publications, Karnal
- AK Puniya and Shilpa Vij Food and Industrial Microbiology. A Laboratory Manual 2010. NDRI Publication no.60/2010. Published by Intech Publications, Karnal
- Construction of a mutant strain of Kluyveromyces marxianusfor enhanced galactose utilization. (Application Number-201711030808 E-2-1346/2017/DEL).
- A process for bioethanol production by immobilized stress tolerant microorganism (3710/DEL/2011)
- Reenu Kashyap
Thesis title: Buffalo colostrums proteins and peptides derived formulation for diarrhea treatment in immunocompromised mice.
Period: 2015 onward
- Daraksha Iram
Thesis title: Elucidation and role of milk derived potent antimicrobial bioactive peptides against multi drug resistant bacteria
Period: 2016 onward
- Mohamad Rizwan:2017
- Upma Verma:2017
- Suman S
Title:Preparation and Evaluation of Bio-functional Fermented Goat Milk using Native Lactic Acid Bacteria
- Priya Ashok
Microencapsulation of colostrum whey protein derived antimicrobial bioactive peptides (amp) for application in packaging
- Ankita Rawat: 2017