Dr. Shaik Abdul Hussain
Dr. Shaik Abdul Hussain
Dairy Technology Division, ICAR-NDRI, Karnal, Haryana, Ph: (0184)-2259257
Current Research Area
• Colloidal and emulsion-based delivery systems for the development of healthy foods. • Rheology of Dairy and Food Products.
Ph.D. (Dairy Technology)
Major Research Accomplishments:
- Technology of High Protein Ice cream
- A technology for the manufacture of Aloe vera supplemented probiotic
- Shelf-life extension of Aloe vera probiotic lassi using different high barrier packaging materials, microbial growth inhibitors and stabilizers.
- Shelf-life extension of cereal-based fermented milk beverage (Raabadi) using different preservation methods.
- Best Oral Presentation Award – “Shelf-life extension of Aloe vera supplemented probiotic lassi using non-thermal interventions” at National Seminar on Fermented Dairy Foods and Their Health Benefits organized by SASNET-FF during May 26-27, 2018 at ICAR-NDRI, Karnal.
- Best Poster Award – ‘Development of high protein ice cream’ at 47th Dairy Industry Conference held at Patna, Bihar during 7-9 February 2019.
- 2nd Best Oral Presentation Award – “Preparation of curcumin encapsulates using milk based components” at International Conference on “Rural livelihood improvement for enhancing farmers’ income through sustainable innovative agri and allied enterprises (RLISAAe)” held at BIT, Patna, Bihar during 30th Oct-1st Nov, 2018.
- 2nd Best Oral Presentation Award – “Preparation of Emblica officinalis (Amla) encapsulated stable W/O/W double emulsion and its controlled release study” at International Conference on “Rural livelihood improvement for enhancing farmers income through sustainable innovative agri and allied enterprises (RLISAAe)” held at BIT, Patna, Bihar during 30th Oct-1st Nov, 2018.
- Recipient of “Merit Award” during Ph.D. (DT) programme
- Recipient of Senior Research Fellowship (SRF), 2009 of ICAR
- Won 3rd prize in Agriculture and Food quiz competition on World Food Day, 2009 at NDRI, Karnal
- Secured 1st Rank in Ph.D. entrance examination (2008) conducted by NDRI, Karnal
- Recipient of Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) of ICAR for pursuing M.Tech (DT) for the period from 2006-08
- Stood first (Gold Medalist) in B Tech (DT) at Osmania University, Hyderabad (A.P.) during 2002-06
|Completed Research Projects|
|S.No.||Title of Project||Funding
|Role||Duration/Date of completion|
|Ongoing Research Projects|
|1.||Process development for production of dipeptidyl peptidase-IV (DPP-IV) inhibitory peptides from milk of Gir cows and their encapsulation through double emulsification technique.||ICAR||Co-PI||Aug 2018 to July 2021|
|2.||Development of Immunomodulatory Exopolysaccharide Containing Healthy Fermented Dairy Food.||MoFPI||Co-PI||19 Dec, 2018 to 18 Dec, 2021|
|3.||Preparation and evaluation of panchamrit for immunomodulation||IRC||Co-PI||Apr, 2018-March 2020|
|Completed Research Projects|
|1.||Technology of Heart Friendly Herbal-Milk Smoothie with Prophylactic Effects against CVD and Associated Risks||MoFPI||PI||09th Dec, 2018|
|2.||Preparation and characterization of nanoemulsions of Curcumin for their use in functional foods||MoFPI||Co-PI||10th Dec 2015|
|3.||Studies on structure, rheology and functional properties of paneer.
|IRC||PI||April, 2017 – March, 2019|
|4.||Preparation of spray dried whey protein based curcumin encapsulates||IRC||Co-PI||April, 2017 – March, 2019|
|5.||Shelf-life extension of Aloe vera supplemented probiotic lassi by non-thermal interventions.||IRC||PI||April, 2014-October 2017|
|6.||Preparation of micro/nanoemulsions for the encapsulation of bioactive components.||IRC||Co-PI||Mar, 2011-April,2014|
Training programmes conducted:
As a Course Coordinator conducted a 21 days CAFT (DP) National Training Programme on the topic “Recent and Emerging Applications of Membrane Processes in Dairy Industry” under the aegis of CAFT (DP) organized by Dairy Technology Division at ICAR-NDRI, Karnal during 4-24 November 2019.
- As a Programme Coordinator conducted an International Training Programme for African Nationals on the topic “Novel and Value Added Dairy Products” Under India Africa Forum Summit – III sponsored by Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), GoI at ICAR-NDRI, Karnal during 4th–15thNovember, 2019.
- As a Programme Coordinator conducted an International Training Programme for Uganda Nationals on “Milk and Milk Products Processing” sponsored by Indian Technical and Economic Cooperation (ITEC), Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), GoI at ICAR-NDRI, Karnal during 04-18 March 2019.
- As a Programme Coordinator conducted an entrepreneurial training programme on “Ice cream and Frozen Desserts” sponsored by SINED-TBI & BPD Units of ICAR-NDRI, Karnal during 14-18 May, 2018.
- As a Course Coordinator conducted a 21 days CAFT (DP) National Training Programme on “Designing New Age Dairy Foods” sponsored by Education Division of ICAR organized by Dairy Technology Division at ICAR-NDRI, Karnal during 28th Nov-18th Dec, 2015.
Training programmes attended
Participated in 21 days CAFT (DP) National Training Programme on “Nanotechnological and biochemical techniques for assessing the quality and safety of milk and milk products’ sponsored by Education Division of ICAR organized by Dairy Chemistry Division at ICAR-NDRI, Karnal during 1-21 Dec, 2018.
- Participated in the “Training Programme on Intellectual Property Rights for Agri-Startups” organized during 8th -11th May, 2018 by MANAGE, Hyderabad.
- Participated in the “Training Programme on Consultancy Projects Management” organized during 3rd-7th Aug, 2015 by ICAR-NAARM, Hyderabad.
- Participated in the 2nd advanced training programme on “Texture Analysis” held during 7-8th October, 2014 at India Habitat Centre, New Delhi organized by Stable Micro Systems, UK.
- Participated in the training programme on Data Analysis using SAS of the NAIP Consortium “Strengthening Statistical Computing for NARS” Organized by NAIP at NDRI, Karnal during February 17-22nd 2014.
- Attended training programme on Implementation of Management Information System (MIS) including Financial Management System (FMS) in ICAR organized by IBM during 11-12th September, 2013 at NDRI, Karnal.
- One month training at Central Drug Research Institute, Lucknow on ‘Curcuminnanoemulsion formulation and characterization’ from 15th July, 2013 to 14th Aug, 2013.
- Forty five days training at Central Institute for Post Harvest Engineering and Technology, Ludhiana on ‘Nanoemulsion formulation and characterization’ from 27th May, 2013 to 10th July, 2013.
- Fifteen days training at NDRI, Karnal on ‘Micro/Nanoemulsion based delivery systems’ from 11th May, 2013 to 25th May, 2013.
- Three months ‘Foundation Course for Agricultural Research Service (FOCARS)’ training at National Academy of Agricultural Research Management, Hyderabad from 01st Jan, 2013 to 01st Apr, 2013.
|1.||Wankhede, V. P., Sharma, P., Hussain, S. A.,& Singh, R. R. B. (2020). Structure and stability of W-1/O/W-2 emulsions as influenced by WPC and NaCl in inner aqueous phase. Journal of Food Science and Technology, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-020-04383-9.|
|2.||Chaudhary, N., Sabikhi, L., Hussain, S. A., & MH, Sathish Kumar (2020). A Comparative Study of the Antioxidant and ACE Inhibitory Activities of Selected Herbal Extracts. Journal of Herbal Medicine, doi.org/10.1016/j.hermed.2020.100343|
|3.||Sawale, P. D., Patil, G. R., Hussain, S. A., Singh, A. K., & Singh, R. R. B. (2020). Development of free and encapsulated Arjuna herb extract added vanilla chocolate dairy drink by using Response Surface Methodology (RSM) Software. Journal of Agriculture and Food Research, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jafr.2020.100020|
|4.||Chaudhary, N., Sabikhi, L., Hussain, S. A., Kumar, R., &Choudhary, U. (2020). Emblicanin rich Emblicaofficinalis Encapsulated Double Emulsion and its Antioxidant Stability During Storage. European Journal of Lipid Science and Technology,https://doi.org/10.1002/ejlt.201900316|
|5.||Chaudhary, N., Sabikhi, L., &Hussain, S. A. (2019). Emblicanin rich Emblicaofficinalis extract encapsulated double emulsion: controlled release of bioactive during phagocytosis and in vitro digestion. Journal of Food Science and Technology, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-019-04171-0|
|6.||Hussain, S. A., Yadav, V., Reddi, S., Patil, G. R., Singh, R. R., &Kapila, S. (2019). Thermal processing conditions affect in vitro immunostimulatory activity of Aloe vera juice. Journal of Applied Research on Medicinal and Aromatic Plants, 12, 73-77.|
|7.||Sawale, P. D., Patil, G. R., Hussain, S. A., Singh, A. K., & Singh, R. R. B. (2019). Effect of sterilization treatment on polyphenol content, antioxidant activity and stability of free and encapsulated herb (Terminaliaarjuna) added milk drink. Indian J Dairy Sci, 72(2), 148-154.|
|8.||Choudhary, U., Sabikhi, L., Hussain, S.A., Khamrui, K., Sharma, V., &Vij, S. (2018). Stabilizing the primary emulsion with hydrophobic emulsifiers and salt for encapsulating herbal extracts in a double emulsion. Journal of food processing and preservation, 42(8), e13699.|
|9.||Sawale, P. D., Patil, G. R., Hussain, S. A., Singh, A. K., & Singh, R. R. B. (2017). Release characteristics of polyphenols from microencapsulated Terminaliaarjunaextract: Effects of simulated gastric fluid. International journal of food properties, 20(12), 3170-3178.|
|10.||Kumar, A., Hussain, S. A., Raju, P. N., Singh, A. K., & Singh, R. R. B. (2017). Packaging material type affects the quality characteristics of Aloe-probiotic lassi during storage. Food bioscience, 19, 34-41.|
|11.||Sawale, P. D., Patil, G. R., Hussain, S. A., Singh, A. K., & Singh, R. R. B. (2017). Effect of incorporation of encapsulated and free Arjuna herb on storage stability of chocolate vanilla dairy drink. Food bioscience, 19, 142-148.|
|12.||Hussain, S. A., Patil, G. R., Reddi, S., Yadav, V., Pothuraju, R., Singh, R. R. B., &Kapila, S. (2017). Aloe vera (Aloe barbadensis Miller) supplemented probiotic lassi prevents Shigella infiltration from epithelial barrier into systemic blood flow in mice model. Microbial pathogenesis, 102, 143-147.|
|13.||Yadav, V., Singh, R. R. B., Hussain, S. A., &Kapila, S. (2017). Immunomodulatory effects of oral administration of Aloe vera supplemented probiotic ice cream in mice. Indian Journal Of Dairy Science, 70(1), 89-95.|
|14.||Sawale, P. D., Pothuraju, R., Hussain, S.A., Kumar, A., Kapila, S., &Patil, G. R. (2016). Hypolipidaemic and anti‐oxidative potential of encapsulated herb (Terminaliaarjuna) added vanilla chocolate milk in high cholesterol fed rats. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 96(4), 1380-1385.|
|15.||Pothuraju, R., Sharma, R. K., Onteru, S. K., Singh, S., &Hussain, S. A. (2016). Hypoglycemic and hypolipidemic effects of Aloe vera extract preparations: A review. Phytotherapy research, 30(2), 200-207.|
|16.||Hussain, S. A., Patil, G. R., Yadav, V., Singh, R. R. B. and Singh, A. K. (2016). Ingredient formulation effects on physico-chemical, sensory, textural properties and probiotic count of Aloe vera probiotic dahi. LWT-Food Science and Technology, 65(online published): 371-380.|
|17.||Hussain, S.A., Garg, F.C. and Pal, D. (2014). Effect of different preservative treatments on the shelf-life of sorghum malt based fermented milk beverage. Journal of Food Science and Technology, 51(8): 1582-1587. DOI: 10.1007/s13197-012-0657-4.|
|18.||Hussain, S.A., Patil, G.R., Yadav, V. and Singh, R.R.B. (2015). Effect of storage on sensory quality, pH, wheying-off and probiotic count of lassi supplemented with Aloe barbadensis Miller juice. Indian Journal of Dairy Science, 68(2): 105-110.|
|19.||Hussain, S.A., Raju, P.N., Singh, R.R.B. and Patil, G.R. (2015). Potential herbs and herbal nutraceuticals: Food applications and interactions with food components. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, 55(1): 94-122. DOI: 10.1080/10408398.2011.649148.|
|1.||Wadehra, A., Patil, P.S., Hussain, S.A., Singh, A.K., Tomar, S.K. and Chavan, R.S. (2017). “Applications of Supercritical Fluid Extraction in the Food Industry” In: Technological Interventions in Dairy Science: Innovative Approaches in Processing, Preservation, and Analysis of Milk Products, Eds. Rupesh S. Chavan, Megh R. Goyal, pp: 51-78. Apple Academic Press, CRC Press (Distribution), New Jersey, USA. (ISBN 9781771886093).|
|2.||Wadehra, A., Patil, P.S., Hussain, S.A., Singh, A.K. and Chavan, R.S. (2017). “Textural Analyses of Dairy Products” In: Technological Interventions in Dairy Science: Innovative Approaches in Processing, Preservation, and Analysis of Milk Products, Eds. Rupesh S. Chavan, Megh R. Goyal, pp: 293-316. Apple Academic Press, CRC Press (Distribution), New Jersey, USA. (ISBN 9781771886093).|
|3.||Hussain, S.A., Gaare, M. and Singh, A.K. (2017). “Functional Fermented Dairy Products: Review: Concepts and Current Trends” In: State-of-the-Art Technologies in Food Science Human Health, Emerging Issues and Specialty Topics, Eds. MurlidharMeghwal and Megh R. Goyal, pp: 169-216. Apple Academic Press, CRC Press (Distribution), New Jersey, USA. (Hard ISBN: 9781771886161; E-Book ISBN: 9781315165271).|
|4.||Sawale, P., Shendurse, A. and Hussain, S.A. (2016). “Non-thermal technologies for dairy industry” In: Recent trends in dairy and food processing, Ed. Khojare, A.S., pp: 282-299. PaithaniPrakashan, Aurangabad, India.|
|5.||Hussain, S.A., Anuj Kumar, Badola, R., Sawale, P.D. and Manju, G. (2016). “Milk and milk products as source and carriers of bio-active ingredients” In: Dairy and Food industry-opportunities and challenges, Eds. Mishra, B.K. and Hati, S., pp: 221-244. Biotech Books, New Delhi, India.|
|6.||Hussain, S.A., Khetra, Y., Meena, G.S. and Pothuraju, R. (2014). “Effect of ionizing radiations on food nutrients – Module 35” In: Principles of the Food Processing and Preservation – Paper 2 of Food Technology Subject of E – PG Pathshala course – An MHRD Project under its National Mission on Education through ICT (NME-ICT) taken up by UGC, India.|
|7.||Hussain, S.A., Pothuraju, R., Khetra, Y. and Yadav, V. (2014). “Preservation of foods by pulsed light technology – Module 31” In: Principles of the Food Processing and Preservation – Paper 2 of Food Technology Subject of E – PG Pathshala course – An MHRD Project under its National Mission on Education through ICT (NME-ICT) taken up by UGC, India.|
|8.||Manju, G., Hussain, S. A., Mishra, S. K. and Chand Ram. (2014). “Natural Antimicrobials for Preservation of Food” In: Dairy and Food Processing Industry – Recent trends: Part-I. Ed. Mishra, B. K., pp: 204-230. Biotech Books, New Delhi, India.|
|9.||Hussain, S.A. (2013). Composition, Standards, Manufacturing – Process and Equipments and Defects during Manufacturing and Storage of Dried and Condensed Milk Products (Milk Powder-Skim Milk, Whole Milk, Whitner, Condensed Milk). In Dairy Products Technology (Dairy Technology) Student Handbook for Class XII. Published by CBSE, pp: 74-99.|
|10.||Hussain, S.A., Rani, R. and Singh, R.R.B. (2011). ‘Potential herbs for incorporation into dairy products’ In “Functional Dairy Foods: Concepts and Applications”. Eds. Tomar, S.K., Singh, R., Singh, A.K., Arora, S. and Singh, R.R.B., pp: 471-522. Satish Serial Publishing House, Delhi, India. ISBN-10: 8189304909.|
|1.||Pothuraju, R., Sharma, R. K., Onteru, S. K., Singh, S. and Hussain, S. A. (2016). Hypoglycemic and Hypolipidemic Effects of Aloe vera Extract Preparations: A Review. Phytotherapy Research, 30(2): 200-207.|
|2.||Hussain, S.A., Raju, P.N., Singh, R.R.B. and Patil, G.R. (2015). Potential herbs and herbal nutraceuticals: Food applications and interactions with food components. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, 55(1): 94-122.|
|1.||Roy, S. and Hussain, S.A. (2018). Protein deficiency challenges and means to fight. Acta Scientific Nutritional Health, 2 (12): 1-2.|
|2.||Pothuraju, R. &Hussain, S.A. (2017). Probiotics: An important player in the obesity management alone?.Obesity Medicine, 8: 13-14.|
|3.||Kumar, A., Hussain, S.A. and Yadav, V. (2017). Dairy based nutraceuticals – proven health benefits. Food and Beverage News, February, 1-15, 2017.|
|4.||Hussain, S.A., Sawale, P.D., Patil, G.R. Singh, R.R.B. (2014). Herbs – Potential ingredients for functionality enhancement of traditional dairy products. Indian Dairyman, 66(10): 84-87.|
|5.||Roy, S. and Hussain, S.A., Prasad, W. (2020).Recent Trends in Ice Cream Industry. Indian Dairyman, 72(2): 76-79.|
- International training on ‘Effect of processing on microstructure, texture, viscoelasticity and compositional parameters of acid-heat coagulated cheese’ at Teagasc Food Research Centre, Moorepark, Fermoy, Co. Cork, Ireland under Sean A. Hogan, Principal Research Officer, Food Chemistry and Technology Department for a period of five months (04.06.2019 to 01.11.2019). The training was funded by Institutional Development Plan (IDP), Component 1a of National Agricultural Higher Education Project (NAHEP), ICAR.
- Conducted Training as a resource person at Department of Animal Sciences, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Jaffna, Kilinochchi Campus, Jaffna, Sri Lanka under Skill and curriculum development programme of Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India. The duration of the visit was one week (27th Jan-2nd