Dr. Rani Alex
Dr. Rani Alex
Animal Genetics & Breeding Division, ICAR-NDRI, Karnal
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Rani.Alex@icar.gov.in
Current Research Area
Genomics,Quantitative Genetics, Reproductive Genetics, Thermal adaptability of indigenous animals
- PhD (Animal Genetics and Breeding)
Major Research Accomplishments:
- An Alternative Diagnostic Approach was developed for Early Pregnancy Detection in Dairy cattle based on differential Expression of Interferon Stimulated Genes in Blood leukocytes
- Developed PCR assays for diagnosis of genetic diseases BLAD and CVM in cattle
- Developed colour based assay for differentiating cow and goat milk.
- Contributed in the development and evaluation of “Frieswal cattle”, one of the superior crossbred dairy cattle having 5/8 Holstein Friesian and 3/8 Sahiwal inheritance, by ICAR-Central Institute for Research on Cattle, Meerut, in collaboration with Ministry of Defence
- -Investigated the promoter and exonic variants OAS1 are associated with pregnancy, other reproductive performance and incidence of normal calving in indigenous and crossbred cattle.
- -Discovered novel microRNAs (miRNAs) through NGS based analysis, which are directly or indirectly related to cellular thermo-tolerance in Indigenous and crossbreed cattle
Recent Research Publications (10):
- Verma N, Alyethodi RR, Kathuria A, Alex R, Hussain S, Singh U, Tyagi S, Sirohi AS, Kumar S, Deb R, Sengar GS, Raja TV, Prakash B.2020. Effect of heat stress on superoxide anion production in native and crossbred cattle under in vitro whole blood culture model. Journal of thermal biology 87: 102457
- Magotra A, Gupta ID, Verma A, Alex R, MR V, Ahmad T. 2019. Candidate SNP of CACNA2D1 Gene Associated with Clinical Mastitis and Production Traits in Sahiwal (Bos taurus indicus) and Karan Fries (Bos taurus taurus × Bos taurus indicus). Animal Biotechnology 30:255-261
- Alex R, Ramesha KP, Singh U, Kumar S, Alyethodi RR, Deb R, Sharma S, Sengar GS, Kumar A and Prakash B. 2018. Promoter variants of OAS1 gene are associated with reproductive performance and incidence of normal calving in cattle. Theriogenology. 108: 255-261
- Alex R, Ramesha KP, Singh U, Kumar S, Alyethodi RR, Deb R, Rai S, Sharma S, Sengar GS, Kumar A, and Prakash B. 2018. Association analysis of novel polymorphisms in 2′, 5′-oligoadenylate synthetase gene with reproductive traits in indigenous and cross-bred cattle of Indian Origin. Reproduction in Domestic Animals 53(2): 442-449
- Sengar G S, Deb R, Singh U, Junghare V, Hazra S, Raja T V, Alex R, Kumar A, Alyethodi R R, Kant R, Jakshara S, Joshi CG . 2018. Identification of differentially expressed microRNAs in Sahiwal (Bosindicus) breed of cattle during thermal stress.Cell Stress and Chaperones 3(5):1019-1032
- Sengar G S, Deb R, Singh U, Raja T V, Kant R, Sajjanar B, Alex R, Alyethodi R R, Kumar A, Kumar S, Singh R, Jakhesara S J, Joshi C G 2018. Differential expression of microRNAs associated with thermal stress in Frieswal (Bostaurus x Bosindicus) crossbred dairy cattle Cell Stress and Chaperones 23(1):155–170
- Alex Rani, Ramesha K P, Singh Umesh, Kumar Sushil, Alyethodi R Rafeeque, Deb Rajib, Sharma Sheetal, Sengar S Gyanendra, Ashish and Prakash B. 2017. Genomic variations in the 2′-5′ oligoadenylatesynthetase 1 (OAS1)gene in zebu cattle and its crossbreds of Indian origin. Indian Journal of Animal Sciences:87 (11): 1367–1374
- Sengar GS, Deb R, Raja TV, Singh U, Kant R, Bhanuprakash V, Alyethodi RR, Kumar S, Verma P, Chakraborty S, Alex R, Singh R 2017. RT-LAMP assay: an alternative approach for profiling of bovine heat shock protein 70 gene in PBMC cultured model. Molecular Biology Reports.44(3): 281–287.
- Ramesha, K P,Alex, Rani, Rao, Akhila, Basavaraju, M, Haritha, P, Geetha, G R, Kataktalware, M A, Das, D N and Jeyakumar, S. 2017. Status of genetic disorders among indigenous and crossbred breeding bulls in India Indian Journal of Biotechnology 16(1):138-140
- Ramesha , K.P. Akhila Rao, Rani Alex, G.R. Geetha, M. Basavaraju, M.A. Kataktalware, D.N. Das and S. Jeyakumar .2017. Screening for genetic disorders in Indian Murrah and Surti buffalo (Bubalus bubalis) bulls. Buffalo Bulletin36(1):133-142
- Alyethodi, R. R., Deb, R., Alex, R., Kumar, S., Singh, U., Tyagi, S., S., Mandal, D.K., Raja, T.V., Das, A.K., Sharma, S. , Sengar, G. S and Prakash, B. 2016. Molecular markers, BM1500 and UMN2008, are associated with post-thaw motility of bull spermAnimal Reproduction Science174 : 143-149.
Books : 3, Research Publications: 32
- Inspire fellowship (DST), 2013
- Best thesis Award for outstanding Research work (Doctoral Programme), ICAR-NDRI 2018
- Various poster and oral presentation awards during scientific conferences
Patents/Technology/Methodology/Genetic Stock, Variety etc
- Development of tetra primer displacement PCR assay for detection of Complex vertebral Malformation (CVM) carriers in cattle
- Development of A Rapid User-Friendly Single Tube PCR Based Tool for Detection of Bovine Leukocyte Adhesion Deficiency (BLAD) Carrier in Cattle
- A Color Based Assay for Differentiating Cow Vs Goat Milk/Meat
- Development of an in-house built lamp assay for rapid detection of cow components adulterated in buffalo milk/meat.
- 97th Foundation Course for Agricultural Research Service; NAARM, Hyderabad; Jan 01, 2013 to March 31, 2013
- Training Course on “Animal Breeding Data Analysis and Genomics Prediction from 20 – 24 November, 2017 at ICAR-CIRB in collaboration with International Livestock Research Institute.
- CAFT programme on “Computational Approaches for Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) Data Analysis in Agriculture’ during 08 to 28 February, 2017 at ICAR-IASRI, New Delhi
- CAFT programme on ““Advanced Tools for Analysis of Phenomic and Genomic Data” during 05 to 25 March, 2015 at ICAR-NDRI, Karnal