Dr. Neelam Upadhyay
Dr. Neelam Upadhyay
Dairy Technology Division, ICAR-NDRI, Karnal, Haryana, Ph. No. +91-184-2259258
Current Research Area
• Food Chemistry and Instrumental food analysis • Novel and functional foods • Green technology • Fat rich dairy and non-dairy products
- Ph.D. (Dairy Chemistry)
Major Research Accomplishments:
- Extraction of ‘green’ colorants from carrot pomace using green bio-refinery approach vis-à-vis green solvent was done and technology was developed for its utilization in table spread. The green colour extract and table spread were characterized and technology of same is developed. The product was also rich in omega-3 fatty acid.
- The delivery system of extracted carotenoids using natural ingredients was prepared and characterized. The encapsulation efficiency of the delivery system was high. Further, the delivery system was dried for utilization in food model system i.e. flavoured imitation milk.
- Buffalo milk contributes to 56% of yield, but has a challenge for making milk protein concentrates (MPC) as has higher casein and calcium content of buffalo milk, MPC-60 was prepared from buffalo milk which can be used
- FT-IR coupled with chemometrics approach, DSC and RP-TLC based methods were developed for detection of adulteration of animal body fat/ vegetable oil in ghee.
- K. Kapoor Memorial Scholarship 2006 by All India Food Processors Association, Highest attendance award; Most Disciplined Student award; Certificate of Honor from Honb’leMr. Justice K.G. Balakrishnan, Chief Justice of India during Bachelors.
- Recipient of Merit Certificate for Academic Excellence in MSc and PhD; and Certificate of Appreciation for outstanding research work in the field of Dairy Processing during PhD.
- Qualified the ICAR’s All India Examination, ICAR-SRF (PGS_-2011-2012 for award of ICAR-SRF (PGS) with 2nd [Awarding Agency: Indian Council of Agricultural Research]
- Associate Fellowship of National Academy of Dairy Science India in 2019
- Best Poster Award toNeelamUpadhyay, Kumar, A., Goyal, A., Sharma, V. and Lal, D. for ‘Detection of groundnut oil and goat body fat adulteration in ghee using fatty acid profile by Gas Liquid Chromatography’ presented in the poster session of Quality Assurance category during44th Dairy Industry Conference organized by ICAR-NDRI, Karnal and Indian Dairy Association from 18th -20th, February 2016 [Awarding Agency: Indian Dairy Association]
- Second Best Paper Award toGandhi, K.,NeelamUpadhyay, Aghav, A.D., Sharma, V., and Lal, D. (2014) for Detection of adulteration of ghee (clarified milk fat) with palmolein and sheep body fat using Reichert-Meissl (RM) value coupled with solvent fractionation technique. Indian Journal of Dairy Science. 67(5): 387-393 during 44th Dairy Industry Conference organized by ICAR-NDRI, Karnal andIndian Dairy Associationfrom 18th-20th, February 2016[Awarding Agency: Indian Dairy Association]
- First Prize in E-poster presentationto Tiwari, S., NeelamUpadhyay, Singh, A.K. and Baria, B. for ‘Green Extraction of carotenoids: Natural Colorant for Flavored Imitation Milk Preparation’ on the theme Processing and Value addition towards efficiency (Screen II) during 46th Dairy Industry Conference organized by Indian Dairy Association from 8th-10th , February 2018 [Awarding Agency: Indian Dairy Association]
- Best oral Presentation awardto Tiwari, S., NeelamUpadhyay, Singh, A.K. and Mr.Baria, B. for ‘Degradation kinetics of green carotenoid extract from root vegetable bio-waste’ during XXXII Biennial Conference of Home Science Association of India organized by Home Science Association of India, Udaipur Chapter at College of Home Science, Maharana Pratap University of Agriculture and Technology, Udaipur (Raj.) from 1st -3rd February 2018. [Awarding Agency: Home Science Association of India]
- Best Oral Presentation Awardto Tiwari, S., NeelamUpadhyay, Singh, A.K. and Baria, B. for ‘Green Biorefinery Approach: A Novel Way for the Extraction of Carotenoids from Carrot Bio-waste’ during 50th annual international conference in Food Science and Nutrition session organised by Nutrition society of India from 15th-17th November 2018 at ICMR-National Institute of Nutrition, Hyderabad [Awarding Agency: National Institute of Nutrition]
- Second Best Poster Award toShailesh Kumar Meena, NeelamUpadhyay, Pradeep Behere and Ravinder Kumar Malhotra, for ‘Effect of natural preservatives on antioxidantive and antimicrobial activity of naturally coloured Omega-3 rich table spread’ during48th Dairy Industry Conference organized by Indian Dairy Association (North Zone) and Rajasthan State Chapter from 20th – 22nd, February 2020 [Awarding Agency: Indian Dairy Association]
|Completed Research Projects|
|S.No.||Title of Project||Funding
|Role||Duration/Date of completion|
|Ongoing Research Projects|
|1.||Technology of Goat Milk based Functional Beverage||ICAR-NDRI||Co-PI||2017-2020|
|Completed Research Projects|
|1.||Effect of storage on Baudouin test, sesamin test and RP-TLC test to detect adulteration of vanaspati and vegetable oils in ghee||ICAR-NDRI||Co-PI||2015-2017|
|2.||Preparation and Characterization of Micro/nano delivery systems for “green” carotenoids||ICAR-NDRI||PI||2016-2019|
|3.||Technology Development for the Production of Milk Protein Concentrate (MPC60) From Buffalo Milk||ICAR-NDRI||Co-PI||2016-2019|
Training programmes conducted:
Course Co-Director of national training programme on ‘R & D strategies and interventions for effective agribusiness and entrepreneurship development in dairy and food sector’ under Centre for Advanced Faculty Training, NDRI, Karnal from 16th September to 6th October, 2016 (Twenty one Days)
- Provided training to one student of BSc (H) Food Technology, Department of Food Technology, SRCASW, University of Delhi for two months (in 2017) and generated a fund of ₹ 17, 250/-.
- Formulated the schedule of summer training for the students pursuing Bachelors and Mastersdegree in Food Technology and allied subjects and gave one month training to 18 students from various universities/ colleges in 2017; and generated a fund of ₹ 2, 07,000.
- Supervised 7 days training on the ‘chemical analysis of milk and dairy products’ for newly recruited scientists (FOCARS-103, under the Professional Attachment Training) from 20th May to 28th May, 2016 (seven days)
- Conducted a Lecture-cum-workshop on ‘Instrumentation in Food Analysis and Quality Evaluation’ in the subject of Food Science and Quality Control at KumariVidyavatiAnandDav College for Women, Railway Road, Karnal on 9th February, 2017.
- Conducted theory and practical sessions on technology of Fat rich dairy products/ quality of milk; during various trainings on Milk processing and value addition / dairy farm and milk processing plant management for technical staff/ NAIF-ABI training. I have taken around 34 sessions so far.
Training programmes attended:
- Underwent Professional Attachment Training at ICAR-Central Institute of Post Harvest Engineering and Technology, Ludhiana during 13th May, 2015 to 27th Jun, 2015
- Underwent Professional Attachment Training at ICAR-Central Institute of Fisheries Technology, Cochin during 29th Jun, 2015 to 13th Aug, 2015.
- Participated in National Training on ‘Designing New Age Dairy Foods’ from 28th Nov to 18th Dec, 2015 at DT Division, ICAR-NDRI, Karnal;
- Participated in National Training on ‘Advances in Validation of Functional Foods’ from 1st Dec to 21st Dec, 2017 at ABC Division, ICAR-NDRI, Karnal.
- Training program on ‘Analysis of Experimental Data’ at ICAR-NAARM, Hyderabad from 20th to 25th Feb, 2017;
- Workshop on ‘Opportunities and challenges for women in STEM’ during 24th and 25th Jan, 2018 at Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra.
- International Workshop on ‘Milk: Naturally Nanostructured Food’ on 30th Nov, 2016
|1.||Tiwari, S., Upadhyay, N.*, Singh, A. K., Meena, G. S., & Arora, S. (2019). Organic solvent-free extraction of carotenoids from carrot bio-waste and its physico-chemical properties. Journal of Food Science and Technology, 1-10. 10.1007/s13197-019-03920-5|
|2.||Baria, B., Upadhyay, N.*, Singh, A. K., & Malhotra, R. K. (2019). Optimization of ‘green’extraction of carotenoids from mango pulp using split plot design and its characterization. Food Science & Technology – Lebensmittel -Wissenschaft& Tech, 104, 186-194.|
|3.||Patil, A. T., Meena, G. S., Upadhyay, N.,Khetra, Y., Borad, S. G., & Singh, A. K. (2019). Effect of change in pH, heat treatment and diafiltration on properties of medium protein buffalo milk protein concentrate. Journal of Food Science and Technology, 56(3), 1462-1472.|
|4.||Uttamrao, H. J., Meena, G. S., Borad, S. G., Punjaram, S. A., Khetra, Y., Upadhyay, N.,& Singh, A. K. (2019). Effect of disodium phosphate and homogenization on physico-chemical and rheological properties of buffalo skim milk based ultrafilteredretentate. Journal of food science and technology, 56(5), 2426-2435.|
|5.||Patil, A. T., Meena, G. S., Upadhyay, N.*, Khetra, Y., Borad, S., & Singh, A. K. (2018). Production and characterization of milk protein concentrates 60 (MPC60) from buffalo milk. Food Science & Technology – Lebensmittel -Wissenschaft& Tech, 91, 368-374. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2018.01.028|
|6.||Upadhyay, N.*,Jaiswal, P., &Jha, S. N. (2018). Application of attenuated total reflectance Fourier Transform Infrared spectroscopy (ATR–FTIR) in MIR range coupled with chemometrics for detection of pig body fat in pure ghee (heat clarified milk fat). Journal of Molecular Structure, 1153, 275-281.|
|7.||Upadhyay, N.*,Kumar A., Goyal A. and Lal, D. (2017). Complete liquification time test coupled with solvent fractionation technique to detect adulteration of foreign fats in ghee (heat-clarified milk fat). International Journal of Dairy Technology. 70(1): 110-118. doi: 10.1111/1471-0307.12323.|
|8.||Upadhyay, N.*,Goyal A., Kumar A. and Lal, D. (2017). Detection of adulteration of caprine body fat and mixture of caprine body fat and groundnut oil in bovine and buffalo ghee using Differential Scanning Calorimetry. International Journal of Dairy Technology. 70(2): 297-303. May 2017.doi:10.1111/1471-0307.12336.|
|9.||Kumar, A., Upadhyay, N.*,Ghai, D.L., Kumar, A. Gandhi, K. and Sharma, V. (2016). Effect of preparation and storage of khoa on physico-chemical properties of milk fat. International Journal of Dairy Technology. 69(2): 294-300.doi: 10.1111/1471-0307.12266.|
|10.||Upadhyay, N.*,Jaiswal, P. &Jha, S.N. (2016). Detection of goat body fat adulteration in pure ghee using ATR-FTIR spectroscopy coupled with chemometric strategy. Journal of Food Science and Technology. 53 (10): 3752-3760. doi:10.1007/s13197-016-2353-2 ISSN 0022-1155|
|11.||Rathi, M., Upadhyay, N.*,Dabur, R.S. and Goyal A. (2015). Formulation and physic-chemical analysis of whey –soymilk dahi. Journal of Food Science and Technology. 52(2): 968-975. doi 10.1007/s13197-013-1074-z. ISSN: 0022-1155.|
|12.||Kanthale, P., Kumar, A. Upadhyay, N.*,,Lal, D., Rathod G. and Sharma, V. (2015). Qualitative test for the detection of extraneous Thiocyanate in Milk. Journal of Food Science and Technology. 52(3): 1698-1704. DOI: 10.1007/s13197-013-1174-9. ISSN: 0022-1155.|
|13.||Goyal, A., Sharma, V., Upadhyay, N.,Singh, A.K., Arora, S. and Ghai, D.L. (2015). Development of stable flaxseed oil emulsions as a potential delivery system of ω-3 fatty acids. Journal of Food Science and Technology. 52(7):4256-4265.|
|14.||Upadhyay, N.*,Kumar, A., Rathod, G., Goyal, A. and Lal, D. (2015). Development of a method employing reversed-phase thin-layer chromatography for establishing milk fat purity with respect to adulteration with vegetable oils. International Journal of Dairy Technology. 68(2): 207-217. doi. 10.1111/1471-0307.12178.|
|15.||Upadhyay, N.*,Kumar, A., Goyal, A. and Lal, D. (2014). A planar chromatographic method to detect adulteration of vegetable oils in ghee. JPC-Journal of Planar Chromatography-Modern TLC. 27 (6): 431-437. DOI: 10.1556/JPC.27.2014.6.5|
|16.||Upadhyay, N.*, Kumar, A., Lal, D., Kant, R., &Goyal, A. (2018). Detection of groundnut oil and goat body fat adulteration in ghee using principal component analysis on fatty acid profile. Indian Journal of Dairy Science. 71(5):464-472.|
|17.||Upadhyay, N.*,Kumar, A., Gandhi, K., Goyal, A. and Lal, D. (2014). Standardization of solvent fractionation technique for detection of adulteration in ghee by enriching animal body fat and vegetable oil in different fractions. Indian Journal of Dairy Science. 67 (4):323-327.|
|18.||Gandhi. K., Upadhyay, N., Aghav, A.D., Sharma, V., and Lal, D. (2014). Detection of adulteration of ghee (clarified milk fat) with palmolein and sheep body fat using Reichert-Meissl (RM) value coupled with solvent fractionation technique. Indian Journal of Dairy Science. 67(5): 387-393.|
|19.||Kumar, A., Upadhyay, N., Gandhi, K., Kumar, A., Lal, D. and Sharma, V. (2013). Reverse-Phase Thin Layer Chromatography of Unsaponifiable Matter of ghee for detecting adulteration with soybean oil and buffalo depot fat. Indian Journal of Dairy Science. 66(6): 496-501. ISSN: 0019-5146.|
|20.||Upadhyay, N.*,Dabur R.S. and Rathi, M. (2011). Development and Shelf life Study of Flavoured Whey-soya milk beverage. Indian Journal of Dairy Science.64(2): 92-101. ISSN: 0019-5146.|
|1.||NeelamUpadhyay*,Nagaraj, V., Borad, S., Singh, A.K., Arora, S., and Minaxi (2017). Application of Natural Antioxidants in Dairy Foods. In: Natural Antioxidants: Applications in Foods of Animal Origin. 261-298. Apple Academic Press CRC Press|
|2.||Nagaraj, V.,NeelamUpadhyay*, Nath, B. S., and Singh, A. K. (2018). Advances in Fractionation and Analysis of Milk Carbohydrates. In Technological Approaches for Novel Applications in Dairy Processing (pp. 127-147). IntechOpen. http://dx.doi.org/10.5772/intechopen.76312|
|3.||NeelamUpadhyay, Nagaraj, V.*, and Singh, A. K. (2019). Advances in Fractionation of Milk Lipids: Analysis and Applications of fractions In: Recent Technologies in Dairy Science (pp. 325-344). Today and Tomorrow’s Printers and Publishers.|
|4.||NeelamUpadhyay, Kumar, M. C. T., Sharma, H., Borad, S., and Singh, A. K.* (2019). Pulse Electric Field Processing of Milk and Milk Products. In: Non-thermal Processing of Foods (pp.129-144). Boca Raton, CRC Press|
|5.||Nagarajappa, V., NeelamUpadhyay, Chawla, R., Mishra, S. K., &Nath, B. S. (2019). Functional Properties of Milk Proteins. In Engineering Practices for Milk Products (pp. 3-26). Apple Academic Press, Oakville, Canada Pp.3-26.|
|6.||Dr. T. K. Datta, Dr.Meena Malik and Dr.NeelamUpadhyay (2017). Foundation Programme for Freshers at ICAR-NDRI 2017.|
|7.||Dr.NeelamUpadhyay,Mr.SanketBorad, Dr.Heena Sharma (2016). R & D strategies and interventions for effective agribusiness and entrepreneurship development in dairy and food sector.Lecture compendium-cum -training Manual.Pp 1-280.|
|Review articles (Number)|
|1.||Upadhyay, N.*,Goyal, A. Kumar, A., Lal, D. and Singh, D. (2014). Preservation of milk and milk products for analytical purposes: A review. Food Reviews International. 30(3):203-224. DOI 10.1080/87559129.2014.913292. ISSN: 1525-6103|
|2.||Goyal, A., Sharma, V., Upadhyay, N., Gill, S. and Sihag, M. (2014). Flax and flaxseed oil: an ancient medicine & modern functional food. Journal of Food Science and Technology. 51(9): 1633-1653. DOI 10.1007/s13197-013-1247-9. ISSN: 0975-8402.|
|Editorials/ Popular articles|
|1.||NeelamUpadhyay* and R.K. Malik (2015). Nutritive Value of Milk. In: In Touch, Heinz Nutrition Foundation of India. Volume 17, Number 2&3, 2-11. (Lead Article).|
|2.||Ashwajit T Patil, Ganga SahayMeena, NeelamUpadhyay, Ashish Kumar Singh. (2017). Milk protein concentrates- Their Applications. Indian Dairyman. 69(9): 44-48.|
|3.||NeelamUpadhyay, Amit Kumar and Ashok Aghav. (2015). Technology of Fat Rich Dairy Products. In: Training Manual on Milk and Milk Products Processing organized by SINED-TBI/BPD, ICAR-ICAR-National Dairy Research Institute, Karnal held from 14th to 19th Dec, 2015. Pp 49-61.|
|4.||NeelamUpadhyay*, Tiwari, S., Baria, B., and Singh, A.K. (2016) Natural Colorants: Opportunities as Alternative Colorants for Dairy and Food Industry. In. R & D strategies and interventions for effective agribusiness and entrepreneurship development in dairy and food sector, CAFT training (Sep 16 ¬¬– Oct 6, 2016). Pp: 95-103|
|5.||उपाध्याय, नी*. (२०१८) भारतमेकुपोषण: स्थितिऔरइससेनिपटनेकेलिएरणनीतियाँ. दुग्ध—गंगा (आठवाँअंक). अप्रैल-सितम्बर. २४-२९.|
|6.||उपाध्याय, नी.*,सिंह, आ.कु., गांगुली, स., सबिखी, ल. (२०१८) खाध्यऔरडेयरीक्षेत्रमेमहिलाउद्यमिता: कारण, समस्याएएवमउपलब्धमंच. दुग्ध—गंगा (आठवाँअंक). अप्रैल-सितम्बर. ६४-६९.|
|7.||उपाध्याय, नी.* (२०१८)मॉकादूध:शिशुओकेमांसिक,शारीरिकएवमसामाजिकउत्थानहेतुअम्रत. दुग्ध—गंगा (नवाँअंक). अक्टूबर२०१८ –मार्च,२०१९. ६४-६९.|