Dr M. Karunakaran
Dr M. Karunakaran
Senior Scientist ICAR-NDRI-ERS, A 12 Kalyani, Nadia, West Bengal
Current Research Area
- B.V.Sc., M.V.Sc., Ph.D.
Major Research Accomplishments
- Awarded the First prize for the Best poster presentation on the topic “Estimates of genetic parameters of days open in crossbred cattle” in the 43rd Dairy Industry Conference held during 19-21 February, 2015 at Kolkata.
- Awarded the second prize for the Best poster presentation on the topic “Effect of heparin binding protein on lipid peroxidation status of bovine sperm cells” in the 43rd Dairy Industry Conference held during 19-21 February, 2015 at Kolkata
- Awarded for the Best article published in Indian Dairy Man entitled “Hydroponics technology for green fodder production”. Award presented in the 43rd Dairy Industry Conference held during 19-21 February, 2015 at Kolkata.
- 77th Foundation Course for Agricultural research service NAARM, Hyderabad during 28.10.2003 to 24. 02.2004
- 21 days training programme on ‘Frozen Semen Processing Technology’ at Central Frozen Production and Training Institute, Hessarghatta, Bangalore during 3.1.2006 to 24.1.2006
- 21 days refreshers’ course on “Biotechnological intervention for augmenting animal production and health with special reference to mithun” at NRC on Mithun, Jharnapani, Nagaland during 18.2.2008 to 19. 03.2008
Patents, Technology, Methodology, Genetic Stock, Variety, etc.:
- Seminal attributes and sperm morphology of Agonda Goan pigs. Eaknath B. Chakurkar, Sajan S. Naik, S.B. Barbuddhe, M. Karunakaran, P.K. Naik and N.P. Singh. Journal of Applied Animal Research, 2015.
- Conservation of threatened goat breeds in India. Ajoy Mandal, M. Karunakaran, P.K. Rout and R. Roy. Animal Genetic Resources 55: 47–55, 2014. doi:10.1017/S2078633614000307.
- Effect of feeding hydroponics maize fodder on digestibility of nutrients and milk production in lactating cows. P K Naik, R B Dhuri, M Karunakaran, B K Swain and N P Singh. Indian Journal of Animal Sciences 84 (8): 880–883, August 2014
- Breeding Strategies for Sustainable Goat Farming in India. Ajoy Mandal, M. Karunakaran, M. K. Ghosh, T. K. Dutta. Research and Reviews: a Journal of Dairy Science and Technology (2014); Volume 3, Issue 1, Pages 1-7
- Seminal Proteins as Markers for Bull Fertility. M. Karunakaran, T. G. Devanathan, Ajoy Mandal, Mohan Mondal, M. K. Ghosh, S. Garai, T.K. Dutta. Research and Reviews: Journal of Dairy Science and Technology (2014); Volume 3, Issue 3, Pages 10-19.
- Effect of heparin binding proteins on the in vitro sperm characters and lipid peroxidation status of frozen thawed bull semen. M Karunakaran, T G Devanathan, Tilak Pon Jawahar, K Manimaran, Anand Chitra, A Dhali and S Selvaraju. Indian Journal of Animal Sciences 83 (8): 788–790, 2013
- Prevalence and genotypic (G and P) determination of porcine group A rotaviruses from different regions of India. Dubal ZB, Bhilegaonkar KN, Barbuddhe SB, Kolhe RP, Kaur S, Rawat S, Nambiar P, Karunakaran M. Trop Anim Health Prod. 2013 ; 45(2): 609-15.
- Analysis of existing dairy farming in Goa. P K Naik, R B Dhuri, B K Swain, M Karunakaran, E B Chakurkar and N P Singh. Indian Journal of Animal Sciences 83 (3): 299–303, March 2013
- Evaluation of cotton seed cake or soya bean meal as home made concentrate mixture for dairy cows from farmers”s perspective. P.K.Naik, M.Karunakaran, B.K.Swain, N.P.Singh Indian journal of Animal Nutrition, 30(1): 43-46, 2013
- Application of Genomic Selection in Livestock Improvement. Ajoy Mandal, S. K. Das, M. Karunakaran, C. Bhakat, T. K. Dutta. Research and Reviews: Journal of Dairy Science and Technology; (2013); 1-6.
- Effect of heparin binding protein and hydrogen peroxide on lipid peroxidation status of bovine sperm cells. M Karunakaran, T G Devanathan, K Kulasekar, P Sridevi, Tilak Pon Jawahar, K Loganathasamy, A Dhali And S Selvaraju. Indian Journal of Animal Sciences 82 (9): 976–978, September 2012
- Electrophoretic profile of bull sperm membrane proteins as a tool for selection of breeding bull. M Karunakaran, T G Devanathan, Tilak Pon Jawahar, K Manimaran, Anand Chitra, A Dhali and S Selvaraju. Indian Journal of Animal Sciences 82 (11): 48–50, November 2012
- Effect of fertility associated protein on oxidative stress of bovine sperm cells. M Karunakaran, T G Devanathan, K Kulasekar, P Sridevi, Tilak Pon Jawahar, K Loganatahsamy, A Dhali And S Selvaraju. Indian Journal of Animal Reproduction 33(1): 43- 46, June 2012
- Characterization of Mithun (Bos frontalis) ejaculates and fertility of cryopreserved sperm. Mohan Mondal, M. Karunakaran, Kyung-Bon Lee, Chandan Rajkhowa. Animal Reproduction Science 118 (2010) 210–216
- Early puberty in local Naga boar of India: assessment through epididymal spermiogram and in vivo pregnancy. Karunakaran, M., Mondal, M., Rajarajan, K., Karmakar, H.D., Bhat, B.P., Das, J., Bora, B., Baruah, K.K., Rajkhowa, C., Animal Reproduction Science 111 (2009) 112–119
- Birth of the first mithun (Bos frontalis) calf through artificial insemination. A. Dhali and M. Karunakaran and A. Mech and N. Nath and B. Prakash and C. Rajkhowa and D. P. Mishra. Animal, Volume 2 (6), 879-882 (2008)
- Assessment of early sexual maturity in nondescript local pigs of northeast India: Testicular development, spermiogram and in vivo pregnancy. A. Kumaresan, K.M. Bujarbaruah, M. Karunakaran, Anubrata Das, R.K. Bardoloi. Livestock Science.116, 342-347 (2008).
- Development and validation of a new method for visual detection of estrus in mithun (Bos frontalis). Mohan Mondal, Muthupalani Karunakaran, Chandan Rajkhowa, Bukkaraya Samudram Prakash. Applied Animal Behaviour Science 114 (2008) 23–31.
- Preservation of mithun (Bos frontalis) semen at refrigeration temperature. M Karunakaran , A Dhali , A Mech , K Khate , C Rajkhowa , D P Mishra. Anim Reprod Sci. 101 (3-4) ; 257-264. (2007)
- Development and validation of a sensitive radioimmunoassay procedure for estimating FSH in mithun (Bos frontalis) plasma. A Dhali , D P Mishra , A Mech , K Khate , C Rajkhowa , M Karunakaran. J Immunoassay Immunochem.;28 (2):107-117 (2007).
- Changes in serum immunoglobulin profile of self nursed mithun (Bos frontalis) calves during first three days postpartum. A Mech, A Dhali , M Karunakaran, S.Rajkhowa and C.Rajkhowa.Indian J Anim. Sci., 77(11), 1136-1138 (2007).
- Influence of plasma estradiol 17-ß and progesterone levels on estrous behaviour in mithun (Bos frontalis). A. Dhali, D. Mishra , M . Karunakaran , A . Mech , C . Rajkhowa Applied Animal Behaviour Science, Volume 98, Issue 1 – 2, Pages 1 – 10. (2006)
- Secretion patterns of luteinising hormone, follicle-stimulating hormone and 17ß-oestradiol during oestrus and the mid-luteal phase of the oestrous cycle in mithun (Bos frontalis). A. Dhali , D. P. Mishra , M. Karunakaran , A. Mech and C. Rajkhowa Reproduction, Fertility and Development 18(6) 619–626. (2006)
- Efficacy of single injection of FSH dissolved in polyvinylpyrrolidone on superovulatory response in crossbred cows. M Karunakaran and C Veerapandian, Indian Journal of Animal Sciences 76 (4): 299-301, April 2006
- Changes in Plasma Concentrations of LH, FSH, Estradiol 17-ß and Progesterone During Oestrus in Mithun (Bos frontalis). A Dhali, DP Mishra, A Mech, M Karunakaran, H Choudhury, K Khate, C Rajkhowa. Reproduction in Domestic Animals 41, 162-168. (2006).
- Role of LH and prostaglandin F2alpha on the development and regression of corpus luteum in mithun (Bos frontalis) estrous cycle. A Dhali , D P Mishra , A Mech , M Karunakaran , C Rajkhowa . Gen Comp Endocrinl. 149, 173-181. (2006)
- Monitoring feeding adequacy in dairy cows using milk urea and milk protein contents under farm conditions. A Dhali , R.K.Megla, A Mech and M Karunakaran. Asian Australian J Anim.Sci. 19: 1742-1748 (2006)
- Endocrine control of estrous cycle in mithun (Bos frontalis). A Dhali , D P Mishra , A Mech , M Karunakaran , C Rajkhowa Theriogenology, 64:2010-2021 (2005).