Dr M. K. Ghosh
Dr M. K. Ghosh
ERS of National Dairy Research Institute, A-12 Block, Kalyani Nadia, West Bengal, PIN-741235 Telephone No:033-25828777 Mob: 09432295833
Current Research Area
Mineral Nutrition, Non-conventional Feedstuff, Anti-nutrient factors, Complete feed block
- B.V. Sc. & A.H., BCKV, West Bengal, INDIA
- M.Sc.(Animal Nutrition), NDRI, Karnal, INDIA
- Ph.D.(Animal Nutrition), NDRI, Karnal, INDIA
Major Research Accomplishments
$0Institutional Projects:$0$0$0Studies on complete feed block utilization using locally available feed $0$0$0resources in yak. Status: PI$0$0$0 Study on exploring the vitamin A profile in yaks. Status: PI$0$0 Studies on nutritional status of high altitude dairy animals in $0Arunachal Pradesh. Status: Co-PI $0$0 Pilot level assessment of nutritional technologies for enhancing dairy production. Status: Co-PI$0$0 Mineral status of dairy cattle in Nadia district of West Bengal. Status: PI$0$0 Study and evaluation of dairy cattle nutrition status in different agro-ecological region in eastern India. Status: Co-PI$0$0 Mineral status of cattle feeds and fodder and development of a balanced mineral mixture for increasing milk production in rural households. Status: PI $0$0 Feed requirement of dairy cattle in rural household in the lower Gangetic plain region in eastern India. Status: PI$0$0 Study on shelter management system of dairy cattle and its effect on milk production. Status: Co-PI$0$0 Studies on the presence of toxic metals (Cd, Hg and As) in feeds and fodders and their excretion pattern in cattle. Status: Co-PI$0$0 Environmental stress and its effect on Yak production and reproduction. Status: Co-PI$0$0 Development of functional paneer from yak milk. Status: Co-PI$0$0 Studies on Yak hybrid farming-an interdisciplinary project. Status: Co-PI$0$0 A study on exploring the mechanism of hepatotoxicity induced by Senecio (Pyrrolizidine) alkaloids. Status: Co-PI$0$0 Evaluation of immune response in Yaks following administration of oil, adjuvant trivalent FMD vaccine. Status: Co-PI$0$0 Studies on efficiency of anti-prolactin treatment on induction of estrous and ovulation in anoestrus Yak following Ovsynch treatment. Status: Co-PI$0$0$0Externally funded projects:$0$0$0 NATP Project on “Household feed and nutritional security for tribal, backward and hilly areas”. Status: Co-PI$0$0 ICAR Ad-hoc project on “Micronutrient status of soils, plants and yak of Arunachal Pradesh” Status: PI$0$0 AICRP on “Improvement of feed resources and nutrient utilization in raising animal production.” Status: PI$0$0 Network Project on “Amelioration of temperate/alpine pasture for livelihood support to pastoral communities.” Status: PI$0$0 NDRI AL-Kabeer Consultancy project on “Fattening of growing male buffalo calves for quality meat production” Status: Co-PI$0$0 Monsanto’s Consultancy project on “ Study on the efficiency of Monsanto’s rBST for increasing milk production in crossbred cows and buffaloes” Status: Co-PI$0$0$0Guidance to student :$0$0M. Sc.-2$0$0$
- Awarded Science & Technology Innovation Award for Rural Development (CSIR Award) for the year 2007.
- Awarded Third position for the poster entitled “ Phylogeny of bovine species based on RAPD fingerprinting” in the International Conference on “Yak Husbandry – Challenges and Strategies” organized by NRC, Yak, Dirang, Anunachal Pradesh on 20-22nd April, 2009.
- NARP (Phase-II) training on Animal Production and Management,CIRB, Hisar
- Summer Institute on “Bio-processing of feeds and crop residues to improve their nutritive value”,NDRI, Karnal
- Winter school on “Recent advances in Computational Statistics in Agricultural Science”, B.C.K.V., West Bengal
Patents, Technology, Methodology, Genetic Stock, Variety, etc.:
- Developed Area-specific mineral mixture for Yak in their habitat
- Developed complete feed block using locally available feed resources for yak
- Ghosh M.K., Chhabra A., Atreja P.P. and Chopra R.C. (1996) Effect of treating with propionic acid, sodium bisulphate and sodium hydroxide on biosynthesis of aflatoxin on ground nut cake. Animal feed Sc. & Tech 43-49.
- Ghosh, M.K. and Chhabra, A.. (1995) Aflatoxin detoxification in naturally contaminated ground nut cake. Indian J. Animal Nutrition,12(2), 105-107
- Ghosh, M.K. and Chhabra, A.. (1995) Detoxification of aflatoxin in ground nut cake using certain chemicals & in vitro evaluation of detoxified cake. Indian J. Dairy Sc. 48(2) 118-121.
- Ghosh M K and Bandyopadhyay S. (2007). Mimosine toxicity – a problem of Leucaena feeding in ruminants-a review. Asian Journal of Veterinary and Animal Advances. 2:63-73.
- Ghosh M K, Atreja PP, Buragohain R and Bandyopadhyay S. (2007) Influence of short-term Leucaena feeding on milk yield and its composition, thyroid hormones, enzyme activity, and secretion of mimosine and its metabolites in milk of cattle. Journal of Agricultural Science (Cambridge) 145,407-414.
- Ghosh MK, Konwar P, Basumatary R,,Bandyopadhyay S, Sarkar M and Bhattacharya M. (2008). Mineral profile of local tree fodders and grasses of Maghalaya. Indian Veterinary Journal 85:105-106.
- Ghosh Monoj K. and Bandyopadhyay Samiran (2008) Effect of feeding regimes on growth performance and nutrient digestibility of Indian Yaks under semi-intensive system. Indian Journal of Animal Sciences 78(1): 117-119.
- Ghosh M K, Atreja P and Bandyopadhyay S. (2008). Effect of Leucaena leaf meal feeding on in Karan Fries calves. Indian Veterinary Journal. 85:44-46.
- Sarkar, M., Sengupta, D.H., Dutta borah, B., Rajkhoa, J., Bora, S., Bandyopadhayay, S., Ghosh, M., Ahmed, F.A., Saikia , P., Mohon, K. and B.S.Prakash. (2008). Efficacy of Heatsynch protocol for induction of estrus, synchronization of ovulation and timed artificial insemination in yaks (Poephagus grunniens L.). Animal Reproduction Science 104 (2008) 299-305.
- P. Konwar, M.K. Ghosh, H.K. Das, S. Bandyopadhyay, and M. Bhattacharya (2008) Mineral profile of soils, fodders and in blood plasma of yaks of Arunachal Pradesh Indian Vet. Journal. 85: 1290-1291.
- Ghosh, M.K., Atreja, P. and Bandyopadhyay, S. (2009). Biodegradation of mimosine and 3-hydroxy-4 (1H) pyridine in Karan Fries Crossbred (Holstein Friesian x Tharparkar) cattle. Animal Nutrition and Feed Technology. 9:65-72.