Dairy Technology Division, National Dairy Research Institute, Southern Campus, Adugodi, Bangalore – 560030
Current Research Area
Traditional milk products of southern India, Fermented milk based foods
- M.Sc – Dairy Technology
- Ph.D- Food Science
Major Research Accomplishments
• Technology for production of acceptable quality Curd rice with a shelf life of 5 days at ambient temperature was developed.
• Process for production of Quarg (Chakka) by using antagonistic lactic isolates for production of chakka cake with a shelf life of 21 days at refrigerated temperature was standardized.
• Process for production of Natural Fruit Flavoured Milk Drinks by using enzyme clarified fruit juices was optmized.
• Isolation of probiotic lactic cultures from different sources and their use in production of probiotic misti dahi using the isolated cultures.
• Worked on standardization of technology for production of Kashi Halwa.
Guidance to student:
- Awarded Laljee Godhoo Smarak Nidhi Award by Association of food scientists and Technologists (India) in recognition of research contribution in Dairy Technology.
- Received Six prizes for Poster Presentations in national and international conventions.
- Indian Dairy Association – Life member
- Association of Food Scientistis and Technologists (India) – Life member
- Dairy Technology Society of India – Life member
Qualified as Food Safety Auditor after successfully completing the course on HACCP and certificate was awarded by RIPH, UK.
Patents, Technology, Methodology, Genetic Stock, Variety, etc.:
- Process for Milk Gelatinized Ada production
- Process Formulation of Palada Payasam Ready Mix.
- Manohar, S. S. and B.V. Balasubramanyam (2007). Heat penetration and sensory Characteristics of Kadhi processed in retortable pouches. Ind. J Dairy Science. 60 (3): 156 – 159
- Manohar S. S. and B.V. Balasubramanyam (2007). Optimization of conditions for production of Kadhi. J. Food Sci. Technol. 44 (5): 539 – 541
- Jayaraj Rao, K.; Heartwin, Amala Dhas; F. Magdaline Eljeeva Emerald; B.C. Ghosh; Balasubramanyam, B.V. and Satish Kulkarni (2006). Moisture Sorption characteristics of Chhana Podo at 50 and 350C. J. Food Engineering 76: 453 – 459.
- Balasubramanyam, B.V.; B.C. Ghosh; Chand Ram and N. N. Balasubramanya (2004). Technology for production of Chakka Cake. Indian J. dairy and Biosciences. 10: 33 – 35.
- Sreedhara, N.S. and Balasubramanyam, B.V. (2004). Optimization of ingredients and process conditions for production of Paneer Curry. Indian. J. Dairy and Bioscience. 14 (2): 55 – 57.
- Lata Mangashetti, Balasubramanyam, B.V. and Jayaraj Rao K., Ghosh B.C. and Satish Kulkarni (2003) Suitability of concentrated milk for dahi preparation. Ind. J. Dairy Sci. 56 (6) 359- 362.
- Rashmi, B.S.; Ghosh, B.C.; Satish Kulkarni; Jayaraj Rao, K. and Balasubramanyam, B.V. (2003). Quality evaluation of Curd rice sold in Bangalore market. Indian J. Dairy Sci. 56 (1): 295 – 298.
- Ghosh, B.C.; Jayaraj Rao, K.; Balasubramanyam, B.V. and Satish Kulkarni (2002). Market survey of Chhana Podo sold in Orissa, its characteristics and utilization. Indian Dairyman 54 (6): 37 – 62.
- Balasubramanyam, B.V. and Satish Kulkarni (1999). Technology standardization for production of cream based Dairy spread. Indian J. Dairy and Bioscience. 10: 71 – 74
- Balasubramanyam, B.V. and M.C. Varadaraj (1998) Cultural conditions for the production of bacteriocin by a native isolate of Lactobacillus delbruecki ssp bulgaricus CFR 2028 in milk medium. J. Applied Microbiology. 84: 97 -102.