Dr Ashok Kumar Mohanty
Dr Ashok Kumar Mohanty
Animal Biotechnology Centre National Dairy Research Institute Karnal, 132001, Haryana Ph No: 0184-2259538
Email: Email:firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
Current Research Area
Gene cloning, Expression and Functional characterization of proteins, Proteomics and Structural Biology of Proteins
- Post Doctoral Research: University of California, Davis, USA
- Ph.D (Protein Science): AIIMS, New Delhi
- M.Sc (Animal Biotechnology): NDRI, Karnal
- B. V. Sc & AH: OUAT, Bhubaneswar
Major Research Accomplishments
We have produced recombinant buffalo chymosin in bacterial and yeast expression systems for their use as milk clotting enzyme required for cheese production
• Isolation and purification protocol of buffalo and goat native chymosin established
• 3D structure and biochemical characterization of buffalo chymosin, BRP39 and MGP40 have been determined by x-ray crystallography
• Lactoferrins from various animal species have been purified and characterized
• Cloned and characterized oviduct specific glycoprotein from buffaloes and goat
• Proteome map of cattle and buffalo mammary epithelial cells during lactation
• Isolation and expression analysis of MGP-40 and IGFBP-5 in lactation animals.
Guidance to student:
M. Sc and M. V. Sc: 6
Ph. D: 3
- DBT overseas associateship (long-term) (2004-2005), Ministry of Science & Technology, Govt. of India.
- Jawaharlal Nehru Award (gold medal) (2003) by Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR), New Delhi for outstanding postgraduate research in the field of Animal Biotechnology.
- Young Scientist Award (2002) sponsored by International union of Crystallography (IUCr) and Dept. of Science and Technology (DST), Govt. of India for attending IUCr congress at Geneva, Switzerland.
- Member of National Academy of Veterinary Science, 2014
- Fellow, National Academy of Dairy Sciences, India, 2014
- Training on qPCR technique at Institute of Physiology, Technical University, Munich, Germany (2010).
- Training of Proteomics at Seattle Biomedical Research Institute (SBRI), Seattle, USA (2009).
- Postdoctoral research on Molecular and Structural Biology at University of California, Davis, USA (2005-2006).
Patents, Technology, Methodology, Genetic Stock, Variety, etc.:
- Application of a mammary specific glycoprotein as a biomarker for detection of sub-clinical mastitis
- Development of a Bubalus bubalis (Indian Water Buffalo) mammary epithelial cell line
- Janjanam, J., Singh, S., Jena, M., Varshney, N., Kola, S., Kumar, Sudarshan., Kaushik, J. K., Grover, S., dang, A. K., Mukesh, M., Prakash, B. S and Mohanty, A. K (2014). Comparative 2D-DIGE Proteomic Analysis of Bovine Mammary Epithelial Cells during Lactation Reveals Protein Signatures for Lactation Persistency and Milk Yield. PlosOne DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0102515.
- Gadave, KS., Panda, S., Singh, S., Kalra, S., Malakar, D., Mohanty, AK., Malakar, D., Mohanty, AK and Kaushik, JK (2014). Structural and Functional Insights into the Catalytic Inactivity of the Major Fraction of Buffalo Milk Xanthine Oxidoreductase. PLoS ONE 9(1): e87618. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0087618.
- Janjanam, JJ., Jamwal, M., Singh, S., Kumar, S., Panigrahi , A. K., Hariprasad, G., Jena, M. K1, Anand , V., Kumar, S., Kaushik, J. K., Dang, A. K., Mukesh, M., Mishra, B. P., Srinivasan, A., Reddy, V. S and Mohanty A. K (2013). . Proteome analysis of functionally differentiated bovine (Bos indicus) mammary epithelial cells isolated from milk. Proteomics 13 (21): 3093–3242.
- Anand, V., Dogra, N., Kaushik, J. K., Singh, S., Jena, M. K., Kumar, S., Malakar, D., Dang, A. K., Mishra, B. P Mukhopadhyay, T. and Mohanty, A. K. (2012).Establishment and Characterization of a Buffalo (Bubalus bubalis) Mammary Epithelial Cell Line. PLoS One. 2012; 7(7): e40469.
- Janjanam, J., Singh, S., Choudhary, S., Pradeep, M. A., Kumar, S., Kumaresan, A., Das, S. K., Kaushik, J. K., Mohanty, A. K. (2012). Molecular cloning, Sequence Characterization and Heterologous Expression of Buffalo (Bubalus bubalis) Oviduct-specific Glycoprotein in E.coli. Mol Biol Rep DOI 10.1007/s11033-012-1872-9.
- Varshney, N, Mohanty, A. K., Kumar, S.,, Kaushik, J.K., Dang, A.K., Mukesh, M., Mishra, B. P.,Kataria, R., Kimothi, S. P., Mukhopadhyay, T. K., Malakar, D., Prakash, B. S., Grover, S. and Batish, V. K. (2012). Selection of suitable reference genes in milk somatic cells of lactating ows (Bos indicus) for quantitative gene expression studies. Journal of Dairy Science. 95 (6): 2935-2945
- Pradeep, M.A., Jagadeesh, J., De, A.K., Kaushik, J.K., Malakar, D., Kumar, S., Dang, A.K., Das, S.K. and Mohanty, A.K (2011). Purification, Sequence Characterization and Effect of Goat Oviduct-specific Glycoprotein on In vitro Embryo Development. Theriogenology 75(6):1005-15.
- Mohanty, A. K., Fisher, A. J., Yu, Z., Pradeep, M. A., and Kaushik, J. K (2009). Cloning, Expression, Characterization, Characterization and Crystallization of a signaling glycoprotein BRP39 expressed during Mammary Gland Apoptosis. Protein Expression and Purification. 64(2): 213-218.
- Mohanty A. K., Singh, G., Paramasivam, M., Saravanan, K., Jabeen, T., Sharma, S., Yadav, S., Kaur, P., Kumar, P., Srinivasan, A and Singh, T.P (2003). Crystal Structure of a Novel Regulatory 40-kDa Mammary Gland Protein (MGP-40) Secreted during Involution. Journal Biology Chemistry 278, 14451-14460.
- Sharma S., Jasti, J., Kumar, J., Mohanty, A. K and Singh, T. P (2003). Crystal structure of a proteolytically generated functional monoferric C-lobe of bovine lactoferrin at 1.9 Å resolution. Journal of Molecular Biology 331, 485-496.
- Mohanty, A.K., Mukhopadhyay, U.K., Kaushik, J.K., Grover, S., and Batish, V.K. (2003). Isolation, purification and characterization of chymosin from riverine buffalo (Bubalos bubalis). Journal of Dairy Research 70: 37-43.
- Mohanty, A. K. and Sharma, MK (1994) Comparative study of dehydrogenases, proteinsand DNA at various stages of estrous cycle in rat. International Journal of Animal Science, 9; 333-335.