Dr. Adesh Kumar Sharma
Dr. Adesh Kumar Sharma
Principal Scientist - Computer Applications in Agriculture, Dairy Economics, Statistics & Management Division, ICAR-NDRI, Karnal, Phone: +91-184-2259015 (Office). Fax: +91-184-2252637
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Current Research Area
Nature-/Bio-inspired Computing, Machine Learning, Soft Computing and Statistical Computing Models; Intelligent Systems; Decision Support and Expert Systems; Database Management; Scientific Programming; e-learning; and ERP & Information Systems with applications to Dairy & Animal Sciences.
- PhD (Computer Science), Thapar University, Patiala (India) – 2007
- Post M.Sc. Diploma (Computer Science), Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra (KUK) India – 1988.
- M.Sc.(Statistics with Operations Research) – KUK – 1987.
- B.Sc. (Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics) – KUK – 1985.
Major Research Accomplishments
- Feed-forward connectionist models based on Back-Propagation, Radial Basis Function and Generalised Regression learning algorithms for prediction of milk production in crossbred Karan-Fries dairy cattle as well as in Murrah buffaloes (pioneering work in Indian Dairy Sector).
- Connectionist and adaptive neuro-fuzzy inference system based predictive models for shelf life enhancement of some indigenous dairy products.
- Novel ‘weights initialisation’ technique based on the cubic-spline interpolation method, for connectionist models.
- Modelling moisture sorption isotherms in various indigenous milk products using emerging Soft Computing approaches vis-à-vis classical regression and sorption methods.
- Predicting antioxidant capacity of whey protein hydrolysates using soft computing models.
- Web-enabled information system on availability and sources of superior germplasm of cattle and buffaloes.
- Web-based decision support system for farm management by monitoring the herd strength and expected producing ability of cattle and buffaloes.
- Web-based information system on national collection of dairy cultures.
- E-course for the e-learning system for B.Tech. (Dairy Technology) students for all Dairy Science Colleges of the country.
- Development and Testing of an Educational Interactive DVD on Improved Dairy Farming Practice (IDFP’s) in Tamil Nadu’.
- Indian Dairy Association (IDA) bestowed the First Best Paper Award (Commercial Aspects of Dairy Sector) for the Year 2002 on the paper: Sharma, A. K., Jain, D. K., Sharma, D. K., 2002. Computer–assisted total quality management in dairy plants. Indian Dairyman 54(7), 61–70.
- IDA conferred the First Best Paper Award (Technical Aspects of Dairy Sector) for the Year 2002 on the paper: Sharma, A. K., Jain, D. K., Singh, S., 2002. Relevance of IPR in dairy research and education: an Indian perspective. Indian Dairyman 54(1), 29–34
- National Training Programme on ‘Big Data Management & Comprehensive Analysis’ organised by Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC) at Mohali (Punjab) under the aegis of the Department of Science & Technology, Govt. of India, during February 11-15, 2019.
- Workshop on “Fuzzy Sets, Fuzzy Logic and its Applications in Big Data Analytics” organised by Thapar University, Patiala during April 12-15, 2016.
- Training on “SAS: A Comprehensive Overview” organised by SAS Institute India (Pvt.) Ltd., Mumbai under SSCNARS/NAIP sub-project at DES&M Division, ICAR-NDRI Karnal during August 2 – September 8, 2010.
- Winter School on “Web Content Development using ToolBook” organised by NITTTR, Chandigarh during January 19-30, 2009.
- Course on “Intelligent System Design and Soft Computing Techniques” organised by Thapar University, Patiala under Continuing Engineering Education Programme (CEEP) during April 24-25, 2008.
- Refresher course on “Computer Applications in Food and Dairy Processing” organised by Centre of Advanced Studies (Dairy Technology), Dairy Technology Division, ICAR-NDRI, Karnal during December 28, 2005 – January 17, 2006.
- Short-course on “Information Technology in Agriculture” organised by ICAR-National Academy of Agricultural Research Management (NAARM), Hyderabad, during December 3-23, 2002.
- 62nd Foundation course for Agricultural Research Service (FOCARS) organised by ICAR-NAARM, Hyderabad during Jan. 7 – May 5, 1998.
Patents, Technology, Methodology, Genetic Stock, Variety, etc.
- A novel algorithm has been developed for training neural network models using genetic algorithm rather than using traditional learning methods like error back-propagation algorithm.
- A novel weights initialisation method based on Cubic–Spline Interpolation technique has been developed for feedforward sigmoidal connectionist models
- Sharma, A.K., Bhatia, A.K., Kulshrestha, A. and Sawhney, I.K. (2021). Intelligent modeling of moisture sorption isotherms in Indian milk products using computational neurogenetic algorithm. Springer Nature Computer Science Journal 2. https://doi.org/10.1007/s42979-021-00693-7. (Online First).
- Balaganesh, G., Malhotra, R., Sendhil, R., Sirohi, S., Maiti, S., Ponnusamy, K. and Sharma, A. K., 2020. Development of composite vulnerability index and district level mapping of climate change induced drought in Tamil Nadu, India. Ecological Indicators 113: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolind.2020.106197.
- Namith C., Verma, A., Gupta, A. K., Sharma, A. K., Shashank, C. G., Yousuf, S. and Malhotra, R., 2020. Prediction of lifetime performance in Sahiwal cattle by artificial intelligence based machine learning models. International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences 9: 1867-1873. https://doi.org/10.20546/ijcmas.2020.904.220.
- Panchal, I., Sawhney, I.K., Sharma, A.K., Garg, M.K. and Dang, A.K., 2017. Mastitis detection in Murrah buffaloes with intelligent models based upon electro-chemical and quality parameters of milk. Indian Journal of Animal Research 51: 922–926. http://dx.doi.org/10.18805/ijar.10773.
- Panchal, I., Sawhney, I.K., Sharma, A.K. and Dang, A.K., 2016. Classification of healthy and mastitis Murrah buffaloes by application of neural network models using yield and milk quality parameters. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture 127: 242–248. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.compag.2016.06.015.
- Neethu, K.C., Sharma, A.K., Pushpadass, H.A., Emerald, F.M.E. and Manjunatha, M., 2016. Prediction of convective heat transfer coefficient during deep-fat frying of pantoa using neurocomputing approaches. Innovative Food Science and Emerging Technologies 34: 275–284. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ifset.2016.02.012.
- Sharma, A.K., Sawhney, I.K., 2015. Modelling moisture sorption characteristics in dried acid casein using connectionist paradigm vis-à-vis classical methods. Journal of Food Science and Technology 52: 151–160. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s13197-013-0981-3.
- Sharma, A.K., Sawhney, I.K., Lal, M., 2014. Intelligent modelling and analysis of moisture sorption isotherms in milk and pearl millet based weaning food ‘fortified Nutirmix’. Drying Technology: An International Journal 32: 728–741. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/07373937.2013.858265.
- Sharma, A. K., Jain, D.K., Chakravarty, A.K., Malhotra, R., Ruhil, A.P., 2013. Predicting economic traits in Murrah buffaloes with connectionist models. Journal of Indian Society of Agricultural Statistics 67: 1–11.
- Sharma, A.K., Sharma, R.K., Kasana, H.S., 2007. Prediction of first lactation 305-day milk yield in Karan-Fries dairy cattle using ANN modelling. Applied Soft Computing 7: 1112–1120. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.asoc.2006.07.002.
- Sharma, A.K., Sharma, R.K., Kasana, H.S., 2006. Empirical comparisons of feed-forward connectionist and conventional regression models for prediction of first lactation 305-day milk yield in Karan Fries dairy cows. Neural Computing and Applications 15: 359–365. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00521-006-0037-y.