Dr. M.S. Chauhan
Dr. M.S. Chauhan
Email: E-mail: dir[dot]ndri[at]gmail[dot]com
Current Research Area
- Produced World’s First buffalo Cloned calf.
- Produced buffalo cloned calf “Garima-II” from embryonic stem cells.
- Produced India’s first OPU-IVF Sahiwal calf.
- Produced OPU-IVF yak in a collaborative project with NRC-Yak, Dirang (Arunanchal Pradesh)
- Produced reproducible cloned buffalo “Garima-II”, delivered Mahima and Karishma.
- Developed Hand guided cloning technology in goat and buffalo and in buffalo produced many superior genetically cloned buffalo calves (Garima, Shresth, Swarn, Purnima, Lalima, Rajat, Swarupa).
- Produced cloned calf “Deepasha”from endangered wild buffalo of Chhattisgarh.
- Produced 5 Embryonic Stem Cell lines in buffalo. These are the only lines available in the world, so far.
- Produced GFP expressed cloned transgenic Goat and Buffalo embryos.
- In vitro embryo production (IVF) Technology in goat, Buffalo & yak, implemented in all over the country.
- Developed new protocol of Semen cryopreservation using Egg Yok -Tris diluents in Jamunapari Goat.
- Developed technology for Transgenic embryo production in Goat an Buffalo using hand guided cloning.
- Developed hand guided Cloning Technology in Goat and Buffalo.
- Developed Embryonic Stem Cell Culture Technology in Goat and Buffalo.
- Ovum –Pick up Technology in Cattle.
- Developed Protocol for Freezing of Goat Semen & Artificial Insemination and commercialized.
These technologies brought the ‘Name & Fame’ to ICAR & India.
Research & Development -Projects handled: 19 (as Principal Investigator (PI): 12, Co-Pi: 9)
- Principal Investigator (PI) of Department of Biotechnologies (Govt. of India) funded projects; 10
- National Agricultural Innovation Projects (ICAR): 2, (PI:1, Co-Pi: 1)
- National Fund Project: 3, (PI:1, Co-Pi: 2)
- Indo- German project granted by DST (Govt. of India & Germany)Co-Pi: 1
- DBT (Govt. India) & other agency: 5
Multi-disciplinary and multi-Institute research/network programmes:
- Inter Institutional Research Projects (Collaborative project with: IISC, Bangalore, AAU Guwahati, GADVASU, Ludhiana, CIRC, Meerut, ICAR, RC Barapani, ): 5
- Inter National project collaboration (FBN Dormstoff, Germany): 1
- Monitoring DBT project as a Task Force member of Committee: 3
Foreign Visits: Foreign deputation (USA, Germany, Canada)- 4 times as different capacities
Inter disciplinary programmes and participation in research activities
- PI of 11 out funding research projects (DBT, DST, NAIP, National Fund, ICAR )
- Task Force Member of 3 Research & Development Committees of Department of Biotechnology (Govt. of India), New Delhi from 2012 onwards.
- Member of a Team Constituted by Hon’ble DG, ICAR, New Delhi for development Booklet on Agricultural Biotechnology for Hon’ble Member of Parliament.
- Reviewer of all the reputed journals- Theriogenology, Cellular Reprogramming, Reproduction of Domestic Animals and Indian Journal- Ind. J. Animal Sciences, Ind. J. Experimental Biology, Ind. J. of Biotechnology.
Teaching & Guidance:
- Guided 10 PhD & 9 Master degree students in Reproductive Biotechnology area..
- Taught 22 courses (PhD &MVSc) at at NDRI (Deemed University), Karnal and IVRI (Deemed University), Izatnagar.
- Developed 5 New Courses for PhD & Masters’ degree.
- Mentor in DST sponsored INSPIRE programme in Biological Sciences.
- Evaluated 21 PhD thesis of different universities.
- Delivered 35 lecture in INSPIRE (DST, Govt. of India) program.
- Chairman & Convener of National Seminar on Small Ruminants, CIRG, Makhdoom 2018
- Organizing Secretary of 12th Agricultural Science Congress (over1800 participants)
- Organizing Secretary of one International Conferences (ISSRF-2011) and over 900 participants have attended.
- Organizing Secretary one National Conference Reproductive Biology, 2012 (ISSRF) (over 500 participants)
- Organized 5 Training programmes on Reproductive technologies (21 days) for faculty/ scientists. From SAUs, Vet. Univ., CAUs, Universities.
- Delivered Key note address (7) and lead lectures (29) and act as Chairman Scientific Session (6) in many International Conferences, National Conferences.
Training Organized/ imparted:
- Organised 10 National Trainings for faculty/ Scientists (Course Director of 6 Training programme and Co-Course Director of 5 Training Programme)
- Developed 5 Training manuals.
- Course Director of 18 Training Programmes (45 days each) for Biotechnology students from different Institution/ universities and trained 514 students.
- Over 800 framers were trained during mu Director position at CIRG, Makhdoom.
Funds Generated/ Mobilization of Fund (as Principal Investigator and Co- PI):
As PI: 306.058 Lakhs fund has been generated from the 8 out funding projects granted to me as PI by Department of Biotechnology (DBT), (Govt. of India), New Delhi; Rs.755 lakh from NAIP & NFBSFARA, NASF; over 32 lakh through consultancy.
Awards, Fellowship, Honors & Recognition:
- Fellow of National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (NAAS).
- Fellow of National Academy of Dairy Sciences (NASI).
- P. Bhattacharya Life Time Achievement Award by National Academy of Sciences (NAAS), 2021.
- Rafi Ahmed Kidwai Award by ICAR, New Delhi in 2015 (Highest Award of ICAR)
- ICAR-Team Awardfor outstanding contribution in Animal Sciences 2014.
- VASVIK Industrial Award in Agricultural Sciences, 2015 by Vividhlaxi Audyogik Samshodhan Vikas Kendra (VASVIK) organization established in 1974 and run by the Patel Extrusion Group, with ISO 9002 certified companies.
- DBT Biotechnology Overseas Fellowship Award, 1997 by Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of science and Technology, Govt. of India, New Delhi.
- Rao Bahadur B. Viswanath Award 2019 by IARI presented in convocation on Feb. 8, 2019, New Delhi.
- Labhshwetar Award by Indian Society for the Study of Reproduction and Fertility (ISSRF)(Registration no. MS Bombay 485/1988 G.B.B.S.D), 2015.
- Certificate of Merit Award for Exemplary Research by Virginia Tech., USA in 1999.
- Erasmus Mundus Scholarship Awarded by EM-ABG, European Union in 2009, Executive Agency, Netherlands
- Prof. G.P. Talwar Middle Career Scientist Award by Indian Society for the Study of Reproduction and Fertility (ISSRF)Registration no. MS Bombay 485/1988 G.B.B.S.D)
- President of Indian Society for Sheep & Goat Production & Utilization (ISSGAPU), Avikanagar (Registered Society)
- Certificate of Recognition by Hon’ble DG, ICAR, New Delhi.
- Appreciation Letter by Hon’ble DG, ICAR, New Delhi on production of cloned calf Garima II.
- Appreciation Letter by Hon’ble Agriculture Minister on production of cloned calf Garima & Mahima.
- Member of Board on Management NDRI, Karnal, 2015.
- Member of Institute Management Committee, NRC-E, Hisar.
- Chairman, National Technical Committee for Breed Improvement of sheep and goats constituted by DAHDF, Govt of India dated 19th May 2017.
- Nominee of His Excellency Governor of Punjab for selection of Faculty for PAU, Ludhiana. (by Principal secretary to Governor, Punjab, letter No. PRB-2G-PAU-2015/2745 dated 29.5.2015), 2015-17, office letter D.O.No. 9506 dated 18.06.2015 by the Registrar, PAU, Ludhiana
- Fellow of Society for Extension Education Registered Professional Society award) by Society for Extension Education. Agra.
- Visiting faculty to the Research institute for the biology of farm animals (Forschungsinstitut fur die Biologie landwirtschaftlicher Nutztiere, FBN) from September 16- October 5, 2009.
- Visiting/adjunct Faculty at Stem cell Biology Department, National Institute for Research in Reproductive Health (ICMR), Mumbai from November 26 to December 7, 2007.
- Visiting scientist to College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, Animal and Dairy Science Department, University of Georgia, USA, from April 28 to May 27, 2010
- Eight best posters/oral presentation awards in National & International Conferences.
- Task Force Member of 4 committees in Department of Biotechnology (Govt. India), New Delhi.
- Mentor of Biotechnology of HNB Garhwal University (Central University) Srinagar Garhwal. (UK).
- Member of National Selection Committee for Indo-US Fellowship for Women in stem (WISTEMM) by DST (Govt. of India), New Delhi for 3 years. This committee is to select the women for USA Fellowship program. Letter from Dr. Namita Gupta from DST, dated 23.03.2018.
- Recognized in Limka book of Records 2014, Ed. Vijay Ghose ((ISBN: 978-93-82867-06-7) page3 37-338.
- Research Articles: 155
- Review Articles: 12
- Books: 8
- Popular articles: 34