Dr Mukund Amritrao Kataktalware
Dr Mukund Amritrao Kataktalware
Dairy Production Section,
Current Research Area
Impact of Climate Change on Performance of Indigenous Cattle, Standardization of Protocol for Cryopreservation of Deoni and Malnad Gidda (Bos indicus) Bull Semen, Phenotypic and Genotypic Characterization and Registration of Dharwadi Buffalo, Sexed Semen Technology
- B.V.Sc. & A.H.
- M.Sc. (LPM)
- Ph.D. (LPM)
Major Research Accomplishments
- Yak bulls were successfully trained for semen collection and a suitable protocol deep freezing of yak semen was developed.
Malnad Gidda bulls were successfully trained for semen collection and nearly 4000 AI doses have been frozen. For field application, frozen semen has been made available in its breeding tract. Further, a suitable protocol for deep freezing of Malnad Gidda and Deoni bulls is being refined.
Training schedule for yak for utilizing as pack animal was standardised and the same is being used for training the yaks for pack purpose.
- The growth, production and reproductive performance in yaks under semi intensive system studied and compared with that of migratory system of rearing.
The package of practices for sustainable yak farming was published for the end users.
- Associated with the development of a fast and reliable PCR assay was developed for molecular diagnosis of B. bigemina in yak and the same has been utilized at field level for diagnosis of babesiosis in yaks.
Associated with the development of paternally inherited species specific Ssp1-PCR-RFLP assay for hybridization analysis in yak-cattle hybrid populations.
- Associated with molecular characterization of yak genetic resources. A simple reliable PCR-RFLP assay to identify male mediated introgression based on mutation in SRY gene was developed for identification of paternal origin of yak hybrids.
- Associated with development of Temperature Humidity Index (THI) for yaks.
- Studied performance of HF crossbred cows maintained under different management systems and found that in-spite of having same germplasm and better climatic conditions in Karnataka (small-holder production); the productivity of dairy animals was lower than that of commercial dairy farms of Punjab which could be due to deficient management practices.
- Fourteen Commercial Semen Stations located in Southern India were evaluated for genetic merit, performance and management of breeding bulls. This study revealed that even though the implementation of Minimum Standards Protocol was satisfactory, the management of breeding bulls remained neglected indicating the scope for incorporating scientific management practices including balanced feeding and proper housing for maintaining the bulls in optimal health condition for production of desired AI doses.
- Under Adaptation and Facilitation of Livestock to Impending Climatic Changes through Shelter Management (ICAR Network Project), 120 dairy farms including eight commercial dairy farms maintaining 1610 dairy cattle (graded HF, HF crosses, and Jersey crosses) were surveyed in Bangalore and Kolar districts of Karnataka. This study indicated the lack of awareness on the part of small holder dairy farmers about scientific shelter management practices for high yielding dairy animals.
- Associated with developing breed descriptors, based on that Malnad Gidda has been registered as a breed with Accession Number INDIA_CATTLE-0800MALNADGIDDA-03037. Associated with studies on phenotypic and genotypic characterisation, management practices, unique characteristics of milk, etc., of Malnad Gidda cattle.
- Under National Initiative on Climate Resilient Agriculture project effect of different management on physiological and haematological performance of Deoni cows was studied.
- Dr. Mukund A. Kataktalware received the Best Oral Presentation- I Prize for the oral presentation of a research paper entitled “Bull Housing Management Practices under Commercial Semen Production System” on 29/01/2014 during fourth technical Session on “Health, Breeding & Reproduction management” of the National Seminar on “New Dimensional Approaches for Livestock Productivity and Profitability Enhancement under Era of Climate Change” conducted by College of Veterinary Science & Animal Husbandry, Anand Agricultural University, Anand- 388001, Gujarat, India during 28th-30th January, 2014.
- In recognition of my contribution for the advancement of Veterinary Sciences, I have been granted a Membership of the National Academy of Veterinary Sciences (India) during 2008.
- Indian Veterinary Association- Life Member
- Indian Society of Animal Production and Management- Life Member
- Society for the Conservation of Domestic Animal Biodiversity – Life Member
- Indian Society for Buffalo Development- Life Member
- ‘Foundation Course for ARS’, at National Academy of Agricultural Research Management, Hyderabad
- ‘Reproductive Techniques to Augment Fertility in Dairy Animals’, by Department of Animal reproduction, Gynaecology and Obstetrics, Veterinary College, Bengaluru.
- ‘Assisted Reproductive and Management Technologies for Genetic Improvement of Livestock’, by Centre For Advanced Studies in Animal Genetics and Breeding, Dairy Cattle Breeding Division, National Dairy Research Institute (Deemed University), Karnal, Haryana.
- ‘Frozen Semen Processing Technology’, at Central Frozen Semen Production & Training Institute (Department of Animal Husbandry, Dairying & Fisheries, Ministry of Agriculture, Govt. of India), Hessarghata-560088, Bengaluru.
- ‘Radiochemistry and Applications of Radioisotopes’, by Board of Research in Nuclear Science, Department of Atomic Energy at C.V.Sc, AAU, Khanapara, Guwahati, Assam.
- MDP on ‘IPR: Protection of Plan Varieties-Procedures & Methodologies’, NAARM (ICAR), Hyderabad.
- Right to Information Act (Public Information Officer, NRC on Yak, Dirang), Institute of Secretariat Training and Management, New Delhi.
- Intelligent Reporting System (Nodal Officer, NRC on Yak, Dirang),IASRI (ICAR), New Delhi
- ‘Research Methodology, Data Management and Biostatistics’ at NIANP, Adugodi, Bengaluru.
- DST sponsored National Training Programme on ‘Climate Change and Carbon Mitigation’ at ICFRE, Dehradun.
- ‘Data Analysis using SAS’ organized by Department of Agricultural Statistics, Applied Maths and Computer Science, COA, GKVK, UAS, Bengaluru.
- NAIP (ICAR) sponsored National Training Programme on ‘Assessment of microbial diversity by New Generation Sequencing (NGS) for taxonomic and Metabolic Reconstruction of the Gut Microbes’ at NIANP, Adugodi, Bengaluru.
- Model Training Course on “Dairy Entrepreneurship Development” sponsored by Directorate of Extension, Ministry of Agriculture, Govt. of India organized by Deptt. of Dairy Economics and Business Management of Dairy Science College, Hebbal, Bengaluru.
Patents, Technology, Methodology, Genetic Stock, Variety, etc.:
- Collection and cryopreservation of Deoni and Malnad Gidda bull semen. Maintenance of Krishna Valley bull semen.
- Kataktalware, M.A., Pourouchottamane, R., Rajkowa, J, Borah, BKD, Borah, S, Saravanan, BC and Sarkar, M. 2008. Physiological performance of yak under varying load carrying conditions. Indian Journal of Animal Science 78(2): 231-233.
- Kataktalware, M.A, Pourouchottamane, R, Ramesha, KP, Saravanan, BC, Borah, BKD, Saikia, P, Sarkar, M, Deka, BC and Bhattacharya, M. 2008. Influence of age on semen characteristics of yak (Poephagus grunniens L.). Indian Veterinary Journal 85(5): 558-559.
- Kataktalware, M.A., Borah, B.K.D., Pourouchottamane, R., Saravanan, B.C., Sarkar, M. and Ramesha, KP. 2008. Morphometrical analysis of yak spermatozoa. Indian Veterinary Journal. 85(8): 891-892.
- Kataktalware, M.A., Pourouchottamane, R., Borah, B.K.D., Saikia, P., Borah, S., Deka, B.C. and Sarkar, 2008. M. Sexual behaviour of yak bulls. Indian Veterinary Journal 85(1): 95-96.
- Kataktalware, M.A, Ramesha, K.P, Rajkhowa, J., Saravanan, B.C., Krishnan. G. and Pourouchottamane, R. 2009. Udder and teat measurements in yak cows. Indian Veterinary Journal 86(7): 754-755.
- Saravanan, B.C., Das, S., Siju S.J., Tewari, A.K., Sankar, M., Kataktalware, M.A. and Ramesha K.P. 2013. Babesia bigemina infection in yak (Poephagus grunniens L.): Molecular detection and characterization. Veterinary Parasitology. 194: 58-64.
- Ramesha, K.P., Prasanna Kumar, K. V., Chandrashekar, K., Das, S., B.C. Saravanan, Pourouchottamane, R. and Kataktalware, M.A. 2011. Genetic variability of Indian yaks using random amplified polymorphic DNA markers. African Journal of Biotechnology 10(43): 8558-8561.
- Das, D.N., Kataktalware, M.A., Ramesha, K.P. and Reddy, A.O. 2011. Productive and reproductive performances of Deoni cattle under intensive management system. Indian Journal of Animal Sciences 81 (11): 1186–1188.
- Krishnan, G., Ramesha, K.P., Sarkar, M., Chakravarty, P., Kataktalware, M.A. and Sarvanan, B.C. 2009. Modified temperature humidity index for yaks (Poephagus grunniens L.). Indian Journal of Animal Sciences 79 (8): 788-790.
- Pourouchottamane, R., Chatterjee, A., Saravanan, B.C., Kataktalware, M.A., Mishra, A., Muzamil S. and Pankaj, P.K. 2012. Biochemical and micro-mineral status of yak (Poephagus grunniens L.) reared under high altitude traditional migratory system. Applied Biological Research. 14(1): 104-107.
- Technical Bulletins: Sustainable Yak Husbandry for Highlanders, Mastitis Management, Quality Milk Production.
- Edited one Book: An Introduction to Scientific Dairy Farming