Dr. Sangita Ganguly
Dairy Technology Division, ICAR-NDRI, Karnal, Haryana, Ph no: +91-184-2259257
Current Research Area
Cheese and fermented dairy products • Probiotic dairy foods
- D. (Dairy Technology)
Major Research Accomplishments:
- Technology of whey-cereal based probiotic beverage
- Optimization of Ricotta cheese from cow and buffalo milk
- Technology of probiotic Ricotta cheese
- Conferred 3rd best poster award for the poster entitled ‘Valorization of Mozzarella cheese whey into probiotic Ricotta cheese’ (Bhagwat Sameer Kisan, Sunil Sakhala, SangitaGanguly, YogeshKhetra and LathaSabikhi) in ‘NDRI Global Alumni Scientific Meet-2019’held on March 15-17, 2019 at National Dairy Research Institute, Karnal, Haryana.
- Conferred best Oral Presentation for paper entitled ‘Milk Protein Matrix as Carrier of Probiotic Organism’ in National Conference on ‘Advances in Biopolymers’ (Bhagwat Sameer Kisan and SangitaGanguly) by Association of Food Scientists and Technologists, India (AFSTI), Srinagar chapter held on October 30-31, 2018.
- Conferred Appreciation Award in Oral Presentation on “Novel whey-cereal based probiotic beverage: a cost-effective source of nutrition” at National Seminar on “Fermented Dairy Foods and their Health Benefits” organized by Swedish South Asian Network on Fermented Foods in association with NADSI & ICAR-NDRI Karnal on 26-27 May, 2018.
- Conferred First Prize in Oral Presentation on “Efficacy of probiotic whey-cereal based beverage in Shigella induced pathogenicity” at SERB (DST, Govt. of India) sponsored National Seminar conducted on 13 April 2018 at KLEF, Vaddeswaram, Guntur.
- Conferred Second place in poster presentation at 46th Dairy Industry Conference 2018 held during 8-10th February, 2018 at Kochi, Kerala by Indian Dairy Association on ‘Effect of process variables on Plasmin activity and Bioactivity of Cheddar cheese’ (Shamim Hossain, YogeshKhetra, LathaSabikhi, Ganesh Sunil Saswade and SangitaGanguly)
- Conferred Third place in poster presentation at 46th Dairy Industry Conference 2018 held during 8-10th February, 2018 at Kochi, Kerala by Indian Dairy Association on ‘Effect of process variables on quality of Ricotta cheese from buffalo milk’ (Ganesh Sunil Saswade, YogeshKhetra, SangitaGanguly, ShamimHussain, LathaSabikhi)
- Recipient of Young-Scientist Award at National Seminar on Recent Advances in the Development of Fermented Foodsconducted by Centre of Food Science and Technology, BHU, Varanasi.
- Recipient of ICAR-Senior Research Fellowship conducted by ASRB, New Delhi .
|Completed Research Projects|
|S.No.||Title of Project||Funding
|Role||Duration/Date of completion|
|Ongoing Research Projects|
|1||Development of processed cheese from milk protein ingredients||ICAR-NDRI||Co-PI||2019-2022|
|Completed Research Projects|
|1||Development of Ricotta cheese from cow and buffalo milk systems||ICAR-NDRI||PI||2017-2020|
|2||Development of low sodium cheese varieties||ICAR-NDRI||Co-PI (2016-2017)||2016-2017|
|3||Process Development for Production of Probiotic Pedicoccucs and BiopreservativePediocin||ICAR-NDRI||Co-PI||2017- 2020|
|4||Capacity Building of Resource for Farmers in Paddy-Wheat cum Dairy Production System through Farmer FIRST Programme||ICAR, New Delhi||Co-PI||2016-2018|
Training programmes :
- ‘Emerging trends of Bio-process Technology in Dairy and Food Processing’, co-ordinated CAFT course conducted from 15.01.2020 to 4.02.2020
- Training associate Coordinator for a short term training programme on “Sensory Evaluation of Milk and Milk products” organized for Milk fed Punjab Employees during 15 Nov. to 17 Nov. 2017
Training programmes attended:
- Professional Attachment Training at Panjab University, Chandigarh from 16/05/2016 to 15/08/2016 on ‘Effect of probiotic in gene expression of carcinogen-induced murine model and human colon cancer cell line’.
- Attended CAFT Programme on “Probiotics: The therapeutics of 21st Century” scheduled from 8th Nov. to 28th Nov. organized at NDRI, Karnal.
- Participated as delegate in the ‘International Workshop on Milk: Naturally Nanostructured Food’ held at ICAR-NDRI, Karnal on November 30, 2016.
- Attended training program on “Extension management for Precision Dairy farming” in collaboration of MANAGE, Hyderabad held at ICAR-NDRI Karnal, Haryana on January 23rd to 27th, 2017.
- Attended Training Programme on “Analysis of Experimental DATA” at NAARM organized at ICAR-NAARM, Hyderabad on August 3-9, 2017.
- Attended Training Programme on “Developing Winning Research Proposals in Agricultural Research” at ICAR-Karnal, Haryana on December 13-16, 2017.
|Research articles (8)|
|1.||Bhagwat S., Ganguly S., Khetra Y. and Sabikhi L. (2020). Development and Characterization of Probiotic Buffalo Milk Ricotta Cheese. LWT-Food Science and Technology. 121: 108944. (NAAS Rating: 9.71)|
|2.||Hossain S., Khetra Y., Ganguly S., Kumar R., Sabikhi L. (2020). Effect of heat treatment on plasmin activity and bio-functional attributes of Cheddar cheese. LWT-Food Science and Technology. 120: 108924. (NAAS Rating: 9.71)|
|3.||Pandey K.K., Sood S.K., Verma S.K., Kumar S., Rani S.,Ganguly S. (2019) Bioutilization of paneer whey waste for production of paneer making powder containing pediocin PA-1 as a biopreservative to enhance shelf life of paneer. LWT – Food Science and Technology. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2019.06.010. (NAAS Rating: 9.71)|
|4.||Ganguly S., Sabikhi L., Singh A.K. (2019) Effect of whey-pearl millet-barley based probiotic beverage on Shigella-induced pathogenicity in murine model. Journal of Functional Foods. 54:498-505.(NAAS Rating: 9.2)|
|5.||Deshwal G.K., Panjagari N.R., Badola R., Singh A.K., Minz P.S., Ganguly S., Alam T. (2018). Characterization of Biopolymer-Based UV-Activated Intelligent Oxygen Indicator for Food-Packaging Applications. Journal of Packaging Technology and Research.2 (1): 29-43.|
|6.||Kumar M, Panjagari NR, Kanade PP, Singh AK, Badola R, Ganguly S, Behare PV, Sharma R, Alam T (2018). Sodium caseinate-starch-modified monotmorillonite based biodegradable film: Laboratory food extruder assisted exfoliation and characterization. Food Packaging and Shelf Life.15: 17-27.(NAAS Rating: 9.6)|
|7.||Panjagari NR, Singh AK, Ganguly S, Indumathi KP (2015). Beta-glucan rich composite flour biscuits: modeling of moisture sorption isotherms and determination of sorption heat. Journal of Food Science and Technology. 52(9): 5497-5509. (NAAS Rating: 7.8)
|8.||Ganguly S., M.H. Sathish Kumar, Singh A.K., and SabikhiLatha. (2013). Effect of fermentation by probiotic Lactobacillus acidophilus NCDC-13 on nutritional profile of a dairy-cereal based composite substrate. Journal of Food & Nutritional Disorders. Special Issue on ‘The Role of Prebiotics and Probiotics in Human Health’. S1-002. doi: 10.4172/2324-9323.S1-002.(NAAS Rating: 6.6)|
|1.||Ganguly S, Panjagari N.R., Raman Rakesh Kumar. Book Chapter on Flaxseed (Linumusitatissimum) (Chapter 10) for book “Oilseeds: Health Attributes and Food Applications” publisher Springer-Verlag-Germany.|
|2.||Ganguly S., Bhagwat S., ShelkePrashant A. and Sakhala S. Valorization of Whey to Ricotta Cheese (Chapter-46). Leveraging New Developments in Dairy Sector for Increasing Income of Milk Producers. Published by SMC College of Dairy Science, Anand Agricultural University Anand. Pp: 218-220. (ISBN NO:9788193170465)|
|3.||Borad S.G., Khetra Y., Sabikhi L. &Ganguly S. (2017). Instruction Manual on Technology of Cheesemaking. NDRI Publication No. 162/2018. (Manual)|
|Review articles (3)|
|1.||Ganguly S., P. NarenderRaju and K Hanumantha Rao. 2017. Packaging innovations for Effective dairy supply chain management – A Review. Indian Journal of Dairy Science. 70(6): 621-632. (NAAS Rating: 5.25)|
|2.||Patra F, Duary R., Ganguly S. and Das A. 2017. Engineered probiotics and pharmabiotics: application in therapeutics and prophylaxis. Indian Journal of Dairy Science. 70(2): 137-144. (NAAS Rating: 5.25)|
|3.||Ganguly S., P. NarenderRaju and K Hanumantha Rao. 2017. Packaging innovations for Effective dairy supply chain management – A Review. Indian Journal of Dairy Science. 70(6): 621-632. (NAAS Rating: 5.25)|
|Editorials/ Popular articles (7)|
|1.||Bhagwat S., Sakhala S., Ganguly S. and Khetra Y. (2019). Valorization of cheese whey to whey cheeses. Indian Dairyman. May 2019: 68-72.|
|2.||Bhagwat S., Ganguly S., Khetra Y. and Sakhala S. (2019) Recent Trends in Functional Dairy foods. Indian Dairyman. July 2019: 97-102.|
|3.||Bhagwat S., Ganguly S., Khetra Y. and ShelkePrashant. (2019). Dairy and composite-dairy products as carrier matrix of probiotic organisms. Indian Dairyman. September 2019: 68-73.|
|4.||Bhagwat S. and Ganguly S. (2019). Buffalo milk Ricotta cheese as carrier of probiotic organisms. Newsletter Probiotic association of Indian. 16: 22-25.|
|5.||Bhagwat S. and Ganguly S. (2019). Milk Protein Matrix as Carrier of Probiotic Organism. National Conference and workshop on Advances in Biopolymers. Pp:93-94.|
|6.||P.N. Raju, Ganguly S. and Prianka. 2013. Antimicrobial Food Packaging Materials. Food Marketing & Technology. 4(5):40-42.|
|7.||P.N. Raju, Ganguly S. and Ashish Kumar Singh. 2014. Biosensors & Quality Control of Dairy Products. Food Marketing & Technology. 5(2): 44|